Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Worth a punt? Mains conditioner  (Read 2077 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Worth a punt? Mains conditioner
« on: July 16, 2014, 06:20:12 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Conditioner-Frequency-Interference-Filter/dp/B002CIMZGU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405463237&sr=1-3&keywords=Mains+Conditioner+and+Radio+Frequency+Interference+Filter

I am pretty impulsive.

I've just about managed to stop myself from ordering one of these though because I can't think of a clear way of measuring the before/after beyond a glance at DSL stats :)

It would probably improve but then I would be asking myself '...but just how much has it improved?' and then not being able to answer myself!

I came across this on a HAM forum where they talk about RFI/EMI as if it was their native language.

Worth a punt or waste of cash? :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Worth a punt? Mains conditioner
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:37:23 PM »

A waste of cash probably. "Mains conditioner" doesn't really mean anything without a detailed specification.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »

I nearly read it as manes conditioner!  >:D :D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »

Being as it's on a Ham Forum then it's more likely to filter out pops & hums for there Transceivers, yet when the PC 5.1 speakers are on and your here a loud pop you can see this in the DSLstats as a large spike of 18 CRC per min.

so anything that will stop the pops from electrical switches getting into sensitive equipment is good, its just down to does it work or not !

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »

I nearly read it as manes conditioner!  >:D :D

I make you silky smooth! :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 09:42:15 PM »

One reservation for me would be the fact I have come across many samples of poor manufacture on mains extenders, so I'd be wary of buying one that had any whiff of snake oil.

I'm also amused to see they are 'boasting' a What HiFi 5 star rating.   That would really put me off; I have occasionally bought that publication, but I usually end up it fits of laughter.   Until recently (maybe still) they were insisting that speaker wires were directional, and that some HDMI cables caused darker/lighter/whatever pictures than others.   :D

anything