Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: DLM and FEC  (Read 22403 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: DLM and FEC
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »

Hallelujah !! I thought it was just me that found the TBB forum horrendous to view ??

I've seen it mentioned as 'The' forum to go to for all things BB, (Although I'm slightly biased to another site  ;) ) and as such have paid it a visit on 2 or 3 occasions previously, but talk about a frustrating lay-out !! Haven't visited since.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:06:09 PM by Black Sheep »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2014, 08:37:33 PM »

Hallelujah !! I thought it was just me that found the TBB forum horrendous to view ??

you are not alone BS and some of the members are just down right rude and unhelpfull/arrogant sods  :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2014, 08:47:38 PM »

Really ?? Honestly, I've only ever read a handful of comments before frustration at the lay-out kicked in. The few I did read weren't distasteful though, I hasten to add.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2014, 09:03:29 PM »

Really ?? Honestly, I've only ever read a handful of comments before frustration at the lay-out kicked in. The few I did read weren't distasteful though, I hasten to add.  :)

Let's just say the Kitz forum is very friendly indeed, you will need to be less sensitive to criticism on TBB if you know what I mean.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »

Sometimes an engineer even touching your pair eg. with his wrist in the cabinet can have large affects on the line performance, robertos reported this on tbb a while ago.

Don't know what it is about the TBB forums the layout is awfull it would take me a fortnight to find this post.

probably longer as it was quite a while ago he posted that.  tbb has 2 modes, I do not use the default horrid threaded view.

Mike_IG

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2014, 11:22:13 PM »

Yeah you have to change it to flat view from the default threaded view on TBB, otherwise you could be looking for years.

Mike_IG

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:58 PM »

Well it took it's sweet time but finally..............

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2014, 10:37:39 PM »

I just wanted to check on here, what amount of FEC errors is unacceptable? I'm currently seeing around 2000 FEC errors per minute (and that's with myself manually banding the line to 41.5Mbps, when left to it's own devices, the router wants to set it at 44.6Mbps where I'm seeing 10,000 FEC errors per min).

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »

Thinking of that phase used in Monty Python's (The Life of Brian) the dungeon scene, the DLM must think the sun shine's out of your ****

Well done Mike_IG i'll never see fastpath on my DS  :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2014, 11:27:40 PM »

Im not sure if there is an acceptable figure for FECs - unless anyone knows otherwise?

AFAIK with FEC's the router is just doing what its supposed to with error correction and interleaving applied and recovering any data bits using redundancy.  This may cause the router to work harder, but if the router couldnt cope with the amount of FECs , then those errors would be CRCs.. or one of the more serious errors.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2014, 11:49:51 PM »

Im not sure if there is an acceptable figure for FECs - unless anyone knows otherwise?

Well it depends on much Interleaving is set by the DLM, what I have noticed if the Interleaved depth is set at say 1000 the FEC error count will be low with less CRC errors.

If the Interleaved depth is at say 500 you will notice FEC error counts will be much higher a long with more CRC errors and this then seems to accumulate more (ES) errored seconds with a few (SES) serious errored seconds in a 24 hour period.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »

I just wanted to check on here, what amount of FEC errors is unacceptable? I'm currently seeing around 2000 FEC errors per minute (and that's with myself manually banding the line to 41.5Mbps, when left to it's own devices, the router wants to set it at 44.6Mbps where I'm seeing 10,000 FEC errors per min).

> 0

...but then I'm often told I have unrealistic expectations :)

Mike_IG

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »

Just before the interleaving was removed my line was averaging around 1000 FEC errors a minute, but we're not sure if they effect the DLM, I assumed they must do as my other errors were around 20 a day (after the error correction but it still didn't seem to be fixing it, although eventually it was removed ).

How many of the other errors (crc/hec/error seconds etc) a day are you getting?

Mike_IG

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2014, 09:54:38 AM »

Thinking of that phase used in Monty Python's (The Life of Brian) the dungeon scene, the DLM must think the sun shine's out of your ****

Well done Mike_IG i'll never see fastpath on my DS  :(

That's a shame, I can notice the difference when I'm working when Interleaving is off. My cabinet is currently running at it's current capacity again and is due to get it's 2nd or 3rd upgrade to allow more users to join in the next couple of weeks. So I'm expecting another influx of connections soon so I'm expecting my line to take a bit of a hit.

A good mate of mine has just moved into a new place and had FTTP installed yesterday (he's always had around 2.5meg max like I had before I could get FTTC), So I'm well jealous, I was round his last week helping him move in and was wondering if I could move into his place without him knowing so I could use his FTTP connection  :D .

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »

All the explanations I have read state they use ES, or rather mean time between errors calculations to determine what DLM does.  However if a line is interleaved the # of errors does drop sharply so I have wondered (as would make sense) if DLM uses FEC counts to aid in its decision making.  Whilst FEC doesnt affect stability it does give an indication of how a line would behave if interleaving was removed/reduced.  But then again FEC has no impact on ES or mean time between errors, meaning it probably isnt used for DLM purposes.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]