Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DLM and FEC  (Read 22404 times)

Mike_IG

Re: DLM and FEC
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »

Well the internet is still fine but have noticed that now the phone line isn't working so have had to call out BT on the phone side of things (their automated system detected an error right away), god I love this phone line.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »

Well the internet is still fine but have noticed that now the phone line isn't working so have had to call out BT on the phone side of things (their automated system detected an error right away), god I love this phone line.

Arrgh!

That is annoying when your broadband is showings signs of recovery and the phone line gives up the ghost.

You can access the BT Website and gain access to more data for this error

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31
if your ISP is with BT

Mike_IG

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »

Arrgh!

That is annoying when your broadband is showings signs of recovery and the phone line gives up the ghost.

You can access the BT Website and gain access to more data for this error

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31
if your ISP is with BT

Good to know thanks, My ISP is not BT but the phone service is and allows me to check with that link.

"The problem is probably located at the Telephone Exchange.The Engineer is currently working to rectify the fault - You will be contacted shortly once the problem has been cleared, Fri 25 Jul 17:00 We aim to fix your fault by the time and date shown. We apologise if this is outside of expected 3 days from the fault being reported".

Considering an engineer is apparently currently working to rectify the fault, it's either a big fault or the engi is bloody slow if the fix time is Fri 5pm  :lol: .

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »

Considering an engineer is apparently currently working to rectify the fault, it's either a big fault or the engi is bloody slow if the fix time is Fri 5pm  :lol: .

It's a BT guesstimate to cover their backs, I would estimate the issue will be rectified in the wee small hours 23rd July if not then it's a big job (JCB digger is needed)   :D

Mike_IG

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »

It's a BT guesstimate to cover their backs, I would estimate the issue will be rectified in the wee small hours 23rd July if not then it's a big job (JCB digger is needed)   :D

luckily no JCB needed  :lol: and it's been fixed.

Doesn't appear to have had any adverse effects on my line from what I can see, (although now I've said that it's bound to go wrong)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »

Doesn't appear to have had any adverse effects on my line from what I can see, (although now I've said that it's bound to go wrong)

Thats Good News Mike_IG and keep the HG612 in the ON position as you have had a few issues on your line in the past and the DLM is starting to catch up.

Just out of interest have you some idea how far you are from the FTTC cabinet?

was looking back at your stats you have an Attenuation of 23.7dB, I have an Attenuation of 25dB and think my distance to FTTC cab is around 1000 meters or 0.62 miles.

Mike_IG

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »

Quote from: NewtronStar

Just out of interest have you some idea how far you are from the FTTC cabinet?
was looking back at your stats you have an Attenuation of 23.7dB, I have an Attenuation of 25dB and think my distance to FTTC cab is around 1000 meters or 0.62 miles.

I'm around 700-750m away, but..........at least part of my line is the awesome :lol: aluminium which for sure is a pain. The kicker is my area was due to be upgraded to FTTP but they scaled it back to FTTC instead because of costs so that's annoying.

On the plus side at least they did FTTC as I live in 1 village but the cabinet is connected to another village around 5.5km away so I was lucky to get 2meg before (that and the internet used to go down every time the phone rang) so I can't complain to much now.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »

I'm around 700-750m away, but..........at least part of my line is the awesome :lol: aluminium

On the plus side at least they did FTTC as I live in 1 village but the cabinet is connected to another village around 5.5km away so I was lucky to get 2meg before (that and the internet used to go down every time the phone rang) so I can't complain to much now.

Also live very close to rural village myself, your 750m distance from FTTC cabinet would be why you see less overall errors than my own line, I don't have a clue what type of cable is used in my area (Aluminum or Copper) lets hope it's the latter

As you know all FTTC cabinets must terminate at the exchange, so how far away are you from your local exchange ?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:33:09 PM by NewtronStar »

Mike_IG

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 09:28:44 PM »

Quote from: NewtronStar

As you know all FTTC cabinets must terminate at the exchange, so how far away are you from your local exchange ?

Well I'm about 5.5km away from the exchange my phone cabinet is connected to, but there is now an exchange in Exminster which is only 1.5km or so away (but I'm not connected to this) but this is where it gets a little cloudy.
Basically they were having issues getting fibre from my exchange to my cabinet so the fibre was going to come via the nearest town instead, 1 engineer has said my fibre is connected to the same exchange as my phone cabinet, and another has said nope its nearest town (which was what I was told by the same guy who said this area was down for FTTP)

Basically I live in Exminster but my phone is connected to the Kennford exchange

there is now an exchange in Exminster

Exminster village has fibre but the Exminster exchange is not fibre or 21cn enabled, the Exminster cabs get there fibre from Exeter the nearest town.

Everything is nice and simple here lol.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »

For completeness, I will mention that the fibre feed to a cabinet does not necessarily come from the local (telephony) serving exchange. The "head-end" of the fibre feed may be based in a more remote (but larger) exchange.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 09:44:26 PM »

Otherwise known as a 'Parent & Child' set-up. we have one on our patch.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

Just had another thought, and to throw a slight swerve-ball, the 'Parent' Exchange on our patch is actually smaller in size than the 'Child'.
I have no idea why it was planned as such, it just is.  :) ??? :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 11:59:28 PM »

For completeness, I will mention that the fibre feed to a cabinet does not necessarily come from the local (telephony) serving exchange. The "head-end" of the fibre feed may be based in a more remote (but larger) exchange.

My Fibre comes from my local exchange which is 1.2 miles away the next major exchange is 3.5 miles away (Bangor N.I)  and I am 100% sure this line is not based in a more remote (but larger) exchange  :P

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »

I noticed an engineer working on the cab as I was on my way to the shops

This as happened to me twice last year my SNRM shot up from 6dB to 10dB and the Attainable rate went upto 40000 kbps so I thought this was a great time to re-sync the HG612 and enjoyed seeing a sync of 36000 kbps, anyway had to leave my house and go back to work lo and behold there was an OpenReach Engineer working away at the Copper Cab.

I said to myself what ever he's doing please keep it like this, got home later and the SNRM must have nose dived and the HG612 did it's own re-sync.

So it does happen when the engineer is pawing around close to your pair, my question is if they can do this a few times why does the SNRM not stay at that level  :-\

Possible reasons.

1 - Another line was temporarily disconnected so you had reduced crosstalk, this happened to me last year when a engineer was moving tons of lines around.
2 - Sometimes an engineer even touching your pair eg. with his wrist in the cabinet can have large affects on the line performance, robertos reported this on tbb a while ago.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »

Sometimes an engineer even touching your pair eg. with his wrist in the cabinet can have large affects on the line performance, robertos reported this on tbb a while ago.

Don't know what it is about the TBB forums the layout is awfull it would take me a fortnight to find this post.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4