Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DLM and FEC  (Read 22406 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DLM and FEC
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 09:34:18 PM »

My connection was re-done recently though but since my cabinet is the old screw type then the connection is still shite so a knock here or there could still cause it to flutter a little, or maybe the same with a noisy line effecting mine I guess,

If the cabinet screw terminals are known to be that temperamental, I am surprised that they are still being used. A pair of gel-crimps might be the solution you require.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 11:34:16 PM »

So it does happen when the engineer is pawing around close to your pair, my question is if they can do this a few times why does the SNRM not stay at that level  :-\

I suppose if you ask yourself why they are there in the first place? :)

Provisioning a new service? = I need a pair, which one of these can I use? Commence DIS of 'spare looking' pairs until you hear dial tone, voices or wooshy DSL signals?  Either way, removing an active data TP will kill whatever crosstalk was being spewed forth... briefly.

Why briefly? Why at all? How many pairs you reckon there are in a PCP? What's the fastest way to find a spare? Bow do you confirm a spare? Oops, this one is quiet but the TP checker shows an active LLSW/LLWN number.

I best put this one back then!  :D

I made all this up from anecdotes posted elsewhere on this forum. Completely unverified by me but makes perfect sense in my mind.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 11:45:28 PM »

So it does happen when the engineer is pawing around close to your pair, my question is if they can do this a few times why does the SNRM not stay at that level  :-\

I suppose if you ask yourself why they are there in the first place? :)

Provisioning a new service? = I need a pair, which one of these can I use? Commence DIS of 'spare looking' pairs until you hear dial tone, voices or wooshy DSL signals?  Either way, removing an active data TP will kill whatever crosstalk was being spewed forth... briefly.

Why briefly? Why at all? How many pairs you reckon there are in a PCP? What's the fastest way to find a spare? Bow do you confirm a spare? Oops, this one is quiet but the TP checker shows an active LLSW/LLWN number.

I best put this one back then!  :D

I made all this up from anecdotes posted elsewhere on this forum. Completely unverified by me but makes perfect sense in my mind.

Do I detect the paw-works of a Kelly Communications or M J Quinn contractor?  ::)

Mike_IG

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 11:53:24 PM »

I was just wondering is that figure high?

afaik the DLM doesnt act on FEC's. At least certainly not on adsl.  FEC's are just a count of interleaving and error correction working how it should.  It will be looking at the more important errors such as ES & SES.

If interleaving was switched off, then there wouldnt be any FEC's - instead youd be getting CRC's... and if sufficient CRC's in a short time span they'd become ES.

Hi Kitz,

thanks for the info.
I knew if interleaving was switched off, then there wouldn't be any FEC's as I don't normally have them (only after I had the problem) that's why I wasn't sure if my FEC error count was high.
It's interesting if the DLM doesn't act on FEC's as the average for all the errors per day (until last nights thunderstorm) was less than 5 (apart from HEC which was around 10), error seconds was 1 and SES was 0 and that was for 24+ days so I would of hoped DLM would of done something for it if it was just those figures that's why I assumed FEC must count, it's removed the banding I had on the upload since so again that's why I thought the large looking FEC number could of been involved.

regards

Mike_IG

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 11:58:03 PM »

Quote from: burakkucat

Do I detect the paw-works of a Kelly Communications or M J Quinn contractor?  ::)

Don't get me started on Kellys Communications contractor, they managed to give my phone line 2 telephone numbers neither of which was mine. everytime we dialed a number it would come up with "the number you have dialed has not be recognised" and repeat it over and over again (even though the phone would ring the person).

Mike_IG

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 12:01:39 AM »

Quote from: burakkucat

If the cabinet screw terminals are known to be that temperamental, I am surprised that they are still being used. A pair of gel-crimps might be the solution you require.

If they can just replace the screw terminals with gel-crimps then I'm surprised they haven't as my line as had this loose connection issue twice in the last year, and the last engineer who came said they have issues with the old screw terminals all the time so it was the first thing he checked.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »

Regarding working in PCP's and breaking down, or 'Tapping' on a pair.

Officially, on 'Crimped' pairs they should be 3-way crimps whereby we can insert a small prong into the unused middle port to check for correct dial-tone, no dial-tone etc etc ......... However, I personally don't know anyone who does this ??  >:D

Also, a major problem borne initially out of the bonus schemes they ran years ago (SMT, FRS), and the subsequent implementation of 'Performance Management' our 'Routing & Records' systems are in disarray. Mainly on the D-sides.
So, if a 'Spare' is required to a DP/Joint etc, the systems will present the engineer with what is available, only to find out there are indeed 'Workers' on them.
In times of low work-stacks, which is extremely rare these days, we may be issued with 'Data-cleanse' tasks which means we 'tap out' a DP to cross-reference the current records and update as necessary.

Regarding the 'Screw-connection' PCP's. They only ones I am aware of are PCP100's ..... otherwise referred to as 'Pinned Connection' cabinets. We only had one on our patch which was upgraded years ago as part of our FVR (Fault Volume Reduction) programme. I am surprised to hear there may still be some still in service ?? 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »

Information noted, with thanks, Mr Sheep:)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »

Pleasure, sir.  ;D

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »

Aren't the OR/Kelly guys supposed to request a DLM reset on an FTTC service after a fault?

Mike_IG

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 11:13:21 PM »

Aren't the OR/Kelly guys supposed to request a DLM reset on an FTTC service after a fault?

They did when they fixed my first issue, but the 2 since they haven't and the last engineer said that it only gets done in certain circumstances now as OR say the DLM should fix the issue, no idea if the guy was telling the truth or if it was BS but that's what he said. (TBF it has fixed the upstream banding issue but has done sweet FA to the high interleaving on the downstream some 26 or so days later).

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 11:45:16 PM »

It's probably a 42 step process so no :P

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:08 PM »

I would say no as if the service was effected and the fault was found and fixed they would then leave it in the hands of the DLM.

If a long term fault has caused the DLM to capp your line and the fault was found and fixed then this would be a case where the engineer would request a DLM reset.

Mike_IG

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »

Well on day 28 the DLM has decided to lower the INP to 3 from 8 and Interleaving is now down to 593 so we are getting there.
Does anyone know if the DLM fixes the upstream and downstream separate? (1 at a time), The reason is ask is that it looks like it fixed the banding on my upstream first and left the downstream alone and after the upstream was done it did the downstream. The reason I'm wondering that is my line stats for the downstream have been worse than normal for the last week or so (mainly due to the thunderstorms) so if they were judged OK recently to lower the interleaving, then it should for sure of done it before now, during the time it fixed the upstream issue.

Well it's halfway there anyway, hopefully it will remove the rest soon and I will go back to no interleaving like I had before, but if not it's at least lowered it.

Mike

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »

No idea but given there are two wires in the 'pair' and we have upstream and downstream stats for everything, I would assume they are treated individually :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4