Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Looking to switch FTTC ISP, need advice  (Read 13453 times)

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
Re: Looking to switch FTTC ISP, need advice
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 01:15:21 AM »

No worries. Someone else is asking the exact same question:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/t/4340422-zen-vs-plusnet.html

Hence I thought of you.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »

A final follow up to say that I was successful in getting the MAC from BT this morning, with an apology for the fact it was overdue. Seems I got the ball rolling :). As far as I can tell it's a valid MAC for FTTC (starts with OGEA).

I will signup with Zen Internet shortly.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 08:09:22 AM »

Welcome aboard.

Any issues please do PM me.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »

A final follow up to say that I was successful in getting the MAC from BT this morning, with an apology for the fact it was overdue. Seems I got the ball rolling :). As far as I can tell it's a valid MAC for FTTC (starts with OGEA).

How did it goes with Zen FTTC? Also can you post back BT Performance Test to see if Zen does have minimum speed range should be around 60Mbps instead of 40Mbps

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 08:13:33 PM »

I helped a friend migrate to Zen last week and he got 61.84 Mbps on the BT Performance test.   
I cant recall now what BTw estimated for his line but I think it was circa 60Mbps.

His only gripe was with the delivery firm Zen use to ship out their routers (Hermes).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »

That has been fed back.  :police:

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 11:42:58 PM »

If I go to Zen Home FTTC 80/20 as BT Estimated I getting 77.7/20 and will I get guarantee minimum of 60Mbps speed on BTw test. As I am with Plusnet as I getting 74/18 with them but BTw show a minmum speed of range between 40Mbps and 77.42Mbps.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 02:03:04 AM »

I don't think you will ever get a guarantee that you will get a minimum of 60Mbps on the speedtest.

But I posted above for you the results of my friends btw performance test, as you can see he's getting more than 60Mbps with zen... Showing that it shouldn't be a problem...
After all it's the same bt system behind both zen and plusnet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »

How did it goes with Zen FTTC? Also can you post back BT Performance Test to see if Zen does have minimum speed range should be around 60Mbps instead of 40Mbps

Apologies for the delayed reply.

Ordering process went fine, no issues at all. Was activated around 2am on the date that the they said it would activate on. Only problem I'm having is with BT Business, they emailed me to say that the old service would be ceased, and it wasn't. I ended up being charged a full month instead of getting a final bill as the email said. BT Business promise to refund me the partial amount that's due and say they've ceased it but it will take a few working days to process. To be on the safe side I've now cancelled all direct debits with BT, as I'm also with Zen for the voice service/line rental now. So, could well be a few weeks of chasing BT Business up for the partial refund I expect.

As for speed, although take up on the cabinet seems to have increased, therefore dropping my attainable, DLM has speed banded me on 74/20. Attached screenshot is my BT Wholesale result. I'm connected to an ECI cabinet using an unlocked ECI /r modem, I think around less than 300m away based on an attenuation calculation at 1MHz~ I did a while back (but don't hold me to that, I may be remembering wrong). All LAN cables are cat 6a, ASUS RT-AC68U and ASUS RT-N66U (one serves LAN IP's only, the other serves public IP's from the block I have with Zen), MK2 SSFP and ADSLNation 0.5m DSL cable. Suffice to say I've not been cheap on any bit of the network in the house ;).

BT Wholesale Results: http://i.imgur.com/wExyW5d.png (Downstream minimum range of 57.3Mbps corresponds correctly to my current downstream sync 74Mbps)
Speedtest.net Results: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3710576923.png (Eastbourne is the city that I'm in so I always usually run a speed test on that option on the map)

One last thing, the upload speed is slightly lower than usual (nearer 18Mbps normally) because I'm hosting some Team Fortress 2 servers here, and they're currently busy at the time of posting this message.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:30:44 PM by Ixel »
Pages: 1 2 [3]