Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TP-Link W8961ND V2 on Hotchilli dropouts  (Read 7878 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Re: TP-Link W8961ND V2 on Hotchilli dropouts
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »

TR-197 DQS: DSL Quality Management Techniques and Nomenclature

http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-197.pdf

Might be worth having a squint at this too. I came across it the other day, still haven't made my way through it all!

johnp

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »

Thanks for the help.

Just wanted to update.  Hotchilli are saying this is REIN.  Want to send a SFI engineer.  I have declined for now as I hear that BT always seem to charge regardless on an SFI visit and I do not yet have clear T&C's on when they charge etc.  At the same time I am still investigating my side.

Presently have the router powered through a mains filter re conducted and the shortest connection to the NTE5.  Issue remains with or without extension cabling removed (test socket).  However I have now noticed just this AM that there are two types of dropout:

• A long dropout of around 2 mins.  I now have realised that this is likely the router rebooting.  There were two clues to this.  The first is that Routerstats-lite apparently shows a "dropout due to no router communication with the PC" as a line that drops to zero which is red coloured rather than blue.  Red is what I see here.  The second is the routers log after this.  Whilst I don't understand all the words by any means what I do see is the time is 1st Jan 2000 which is to say the router is repowering and has lost time information until it gets back up when it changes again
  • A short spiked dropout of around 30s.  I believe this is a loss of sync.  This time the RouterStats-lite graph drop and rise to and from 0dB is all blue in colour.  Also the log has previous information in it and shows no loss of time

Does that make sense?  Another interesting point is that the shorter dropout seems to always be at 2mins before the top of the hour or 2 mins before half hour point.  It can happen any time of day or middle of night but I think I am now seeing this pattern.  FYI I have no kit that I can imagine is doing this but that could mean it is elsewhere on the line towards the exchange conducted I guess?

My next step is to:

Check the firmware status of the router and upgrade
Try another router again armed with this new knowledge of two issues
Run the router off a battery feeding a 7809 VR (to get the correct voltage of 9v from a 12v car battery) to truly check radiated emissions once and for all

Let you know how I get on

Thanks again
[/list]

johnp

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »

Solved

Issue was the router.  I have replaced it with a Netgear one and all is fine
Pages: 1 [2]