Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: B.S.O.D After Fitting 'RAID' Card.  (Read 6906 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
B.S.O.D After Fitting 'RAID' Card.
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:52:54 AM »

I fitted a 'Ultra ATA/133 IDE Raid card' in one of my XP Pro Machines,

With the card fitted and NO IDE HDD connected, I installed the drives (auto install),
Re-booted ok, then shutdown to connect the IDE leads.
Booted up again, It would not, just keeps rebooting until you stop it .
Tried to start from the Windows disk , get a bsod with fault code ..
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Taken out the card , Get same results.

Tried to boot into 'Safe mode' via 'F8' again (other attempts failed) Got to 'System Restore, set restore point two days ago.
Re booted NO good ,keeps rebooting .Then  bsod   PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Give up for now.

Do you think the raid drivers have screwed up the MBR ?.  >:(

Cannot think of the fix to repair the MBR ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: B.S.O.D After Fitting 'RAID' Card.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:53:09 AM »

hi mike

heres some commands to fix a poorly xp install:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6031733.html

tho i think your looking at a reinstall  :(
Paul

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:48:49 AM »

Hi, it is probably hardware/driver related with the new card.
To save me typing, there is a brief guide here.
http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

I suggest resetting the BIOS to its failsafe option or just clear it by removing the battery for a few minutes.

If XP is constantly rebooting, try entering safe mode and open system properties.
Select the Advanced tab/ Startup & Recovery/ Settings and remove the tick from Automatically restart.
This may result in another BSOD but it should give an error message that may help track down the cause.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:38:03 PM »

Thanks for your reply's and links, I will spend some more time on it tonight as I must chainsaw some firewood up now while it's not raining.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:13:07 PM »

Fixed :clap:
I tried a normal boot today, it did not like that, it rebooted and it came to booting choice, so I tried 'safe mode' and surprise I got to enter pass word, then it rebooted. >:D
Next used an old Win98 boot floppy.
After changing the boot order in BIOS, I go to A:/ .
So I used the command fdisk /fixmbr.
Re booted, log in screen pops up, log in ok I'm in .    ;D

I did have a 'Norton Ghost' Back Up (about two months old) But doing this saved me reinstalling.
This partition on C:/ has only got the operating system on it.
Before I start playing with raid cards I'm doing a new update, just in case.  ;)

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »

Hi, thanks for the update.
It would appear that the raid drivers corrupted the MBR but this will be unusual as they were installed via Windows.

Anyway, good to see you have fixed it.

exo

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »

Hi, thanks for the update.
It would appear that the raid drivers corrupted the MBR but this will be unusual as they were installed via Windows.

Anyway, good to see you have fixed it.

exo

Now I can at least boot the thing up and log in, I thought I would try the raid card, so i put it back in, Can boot up with just card but as soon as I try to boot with the extra HDD's  connected to the card it just hangs at POST screen,
With the computer shut down I took out the Bios battery and also shorted with a link the two pins for that job, left it while had my dinner.
put the battery back and took off the link, booted into Bios settings, checked settings.
Next put in windows CD and booted to the  recovery console.
tried to put in the details  C:\WINNT it would only let me put in C, then just hangs.

Any idea on this .

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 11:49:23 PM »

Hi, I have not used a PCI Raid card so any advice is not from practical experience.

1. What make/model card are you using?
2. Have you installed the drivers again?

All IDE drives connected to the Raid card need to be set as master.
You will need to setup the array from the Raid software in the cards BIOS.
Check the instructions that came with the card. You will normally get a prompt after the normal POST display to access the Raid controller.
Also, check to see if you need to reset the drive boot options as the motherboard BIOS may now be searching in the wrong place i.e. checking the Primary IDE controller on the motherboard when it may need to be using the PCI card.

I understood that XP was now working normally after the MBR repair.
What are you trying to achieve by using the Recovery Console?
WINNT is not a normal supported command.
The Recovery Console is not for the faint hearted.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 12:37:11 PM »

Hi exo.

1,  I fitted a Silicon Image 'Ultra ATA/133 IDE Raid card'
2,  The drivers do not show up in 'Add/Remove' programs, so I looked in 'Device Manager' and found the device (it said it was working ok   :D ) and I found were the driver was, deleted it, rebooted and reinstalled.

I cannot access F3 on boot to get to the raid card settings.
I did check the Bios settings as for boot options etc. (I'm still booting from the original HDD !.)
XP is booting up ok.

Re."What are you trying to achieve by using the Recovery Console?
WINNT is not a normal supported command.
The Recovery Console is not for the faint hearted."

I read other posts (via Google) about other peoples having problems and one guy used the Recovery Console to fix xp after he mended MBR .
I'm Not Faint Hearted ;)
I have used the 'Recovery Console' lots of times before !.

I used to help our local charity run school, I obtained a free HP 'Netserver 2000'  (They did not want it when I left) and I used the card in that and it worked ok , I will try it in another machine.
I have been on the Silicon image web site and it looks like I have the correct drivers.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 05:41:38 PM »

Hi,
as you probably know, the Recovery Console does allow certain changes to be made to XP without resorting to a repair install or a clean install.
It does require some knowledge and understanding of what the problem is and how you are going to make adjustments via the Recovery Console to resolve it.
As your copy of XP appears to be booting and running OK, what are you trying to achieve by using the Recovery Console at the moment?

In relation to your Raid card, do you know which model it is?
The recent ones from Silicon are the 680 or 649 and use the Medley Raid software.
The below link also provides access to user guides
http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=31

If F3 is not accessing the Raid function, then you may need to make a jumper setting adjustments.

Other manufacturers also use the Silicon controller chip.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 10:42:17 AM »

Next put in windows CD and booted to the  recovery console.
tried to put in the details  C:\WINNT it would only let me put in C, then just hangs.

Any idea on this .

You enter the Recovery Console by pressing 'R' key when prompted.
If you have more than one operating system, it will list them in numerical order.
Windows 2000 will be shown as WINNT, preceded by a number.
XP will be something like Microsoft Windows preceded by a number.
Selecting the number will then select the operating system you wish to edit.

With just XP installed, the Recovery Console will just take you directly to the C:\> prompt.
At it appears you got to the C:\> prompt, (as you managed to type in 'WINNT'), just type 'HELP' at the C prompt and it will list all commands available.
Apart from simple commands such as FIXMBR, the others will require some working knowledge.