Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Drivers or Windows Update First?  (Read 6139 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
Drivers or Windows Update First?
« on: August 21, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »

Hi guys,

What should you do first when you have done a clean install of windows 7, should you install the updates first then the drivers or the other way round? The problem I'm having is I ha e a gaming laptop and I download my drivers from my manufacturer and when I get the Intel graphics drivers I also have the other newer graphics drivers from the windows update (when I right click on the desktop there's to Intel graphics). So should I install all the updates but untick the Intel one or install my Intel one first?

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Drivers or Windows Update First?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »

Install the manufacturer drivers first, then skip the windows update suggested drivers. I tend not to use windows update drivers at all unless I don't have manufacturer ones. Graphics and sound drivers in particular are much better from the manufacturer than windows update.

Also a gaming laptop with intel graphics? you've been ripped off, intel graphics are useless.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »

Intel is my integrated graphics, I have also got a AMD 7970M that I also download from my manufacturer. So how do I get windows update to just download everything apart from drivers? Or make it skip do I just unselected it

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »

you do a custom update and unselect it in the list (I think they're usually listed under 'optional')

anything