Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AOL and Carphone Warehouse.  (Read 8484 times)

Technophobe

• Davies Khan Immigration Advisers
AOL and Carphone Warehouse.
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:15:59 PM »

Today, out of the blue, I've had a series of inexplicable niggles with my online experience. Yesterday evening all hunkydory: today irritating. No settings etc. were changed on my PC and the same niggles are, anyhow, manifesting themselves on the laptop, too. The principal gripe is that all day I've been unable to access my internet banking which is a necessity of my business. When I hit ibank.barclays.co.uk I get the "connecting" message, but then nothing happens - it doesn't even time out: it just keeps plodding along "connecting".

'Twas then that I noticed that overnight my IP number has changed from the 173.*.*.* range to the 92.*.*.* range: i.e. from AOL to Carphone Warehouse.

I presume that having bought AOL, Carphone Warhouse are now in the process of migrating those customers on to their own network. Could this have caused my problems? To my mind it's more than a coincidence, especially as last night both the PC and laptop were fine, but today neither is.

Grateful for any insight.

Edit//   I forgot to mention that my download speed, as measued by the BBMax broadband checker, has also fallen o/night from 5500 kbps to 3500 kbps.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:18:59 PM by Technophobe »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: AOL and Carphone Warehouse.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:35:07 AM »

This is going to be a DNS problem. In most cases (I think) the easy way to manage DNS is to configure your PCs to have the router gateway address as the DNS server address. If this doesn't work satisfactorily then you might consider using public DNS servers e.g. http://www.tech-faq.com/public-dns-servers.shtml .
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »

Your right,this because AOL has upgraded its connection servers,if you go to www.dslzoneuk.net. there are people with the same problem .You mind find an answer to your problem.I know people who have experienced this can,t log on to certain web sites.

Edit,the post you need is---------Has anyone got an email from AOL
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:50:09 AM by UncleUB »

Technophobe

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »

Roseway and Uncle UB - thank you both very much for your assistance.

I didn't both tinkering with the DNS settings as the forum which Uncle UB linked to contains a post which states that this had already been tried and didn't work. Further down the thread someone mentioned that they had set the MTU on their router to 1406 and that this had cured the problem. Now, I've no idea what on earth MTU is, but managed to find the setting on my router and it was at 1492. I simply overtyped this with 1406, clicked apply, and lo and behold, everything back to normal.

I can now see how much money I don't have in the bank again.

Once again thank you both very much. It's been a frustrating time, but as usual the solution seemed so simple.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »

I'm glad you got it sorted :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 12:34:27 PM »

Like eric said,glad your sorted,I myself am not technically minded but saw that post on dslzone yesterday.When I saw your your post I thought there might be a connection and voila. :thumbs:
Just to add that you will get some excellent advice and help from the guys on these forums.I mysef have learned so much since I,ve been a member.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:01:48 PM »

As soon as I saw the post and you were trying to access a secure site and the mention of AOL/TT - I immediately thought possible MTU issue/problem .
Theres also info up on the main site that AOL/TT users should try 1400

Glad that you got it sorted :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Technophobe

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »

Thanks all for the assistance.

Of benefit is that I now know what MTU stands for and what it does.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »

yw :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker