Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLstats v5.0 on the RaspberryPi  (Read 3669 times)

MartinGoose

DSLstats v5.0 on the RaspberryPi
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »

I am thinking of retiring my 2Wire modem/router and using a Plusnet supplied Thomson/Technicolor TG582n in its place. The connection details from the 2Wire are currently collected by 'wget'ting the HTML status page and parsing it with a bash script running on a headless RaspberryPi. The RaspberryPi also collects some podcasts overnight using gpodder from the command line activated by cron, along with other bits and pieces. I normally access the RaspberryPi using SSH from a konsole window rather than using a remote desktop.

I would like to run DSLstats on the RaspberryPi in an equivalent way. Is anyone here doing this already? I have run DSLstats on the RaspberryPi using SSH from a konsole window and the DSLstats window appears separately on my local PC. I need to be able to configure and start DSLstats remotely and then disconnect but leave it running, hopefully retaining the ability to reconnect to the DSLstats window subsequently. Anyone done this already who can give me some pointers?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats v5.0 on the RaspberryPi
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »

There's really no way to configure and run DSLstats remotely apart from using a remote desktop system. But having set it up you could use its webserver capability to collect the data remotely, either by reading the graphs or by collecting the data in text form.
  Eric

MartinGoose

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:08:29 PM »

After a little research the linux 'screen' command seemed to do what I wanted but I failed to get it working. :(

There's really no way to configure and run DSLstats remotely apart from using a remote desktop system.

Now using KRDC, the KDE remote desktop client, to keep an eye on DSLstats.

But having set it up you could use its webserver capability to collect the data remotely, either by reading the graphs or by collecting the data in text form.

Tried the web server but Firefox reports:
"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:57:33 PM »

The webserver doesn't seem to work properly with some routers and some browsers, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it.
  Eric

MartinGoose

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:05:17 AM »

The webserver doesn't seem to work properly with some routers and some browsers, but I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it.

The pages seem to be generated successfully but are not being served correctly. I have tried Firefox, Konqueror and Midori, but the response is the same.

A simple alternative is to let DSLstats create the pages and serve them with the Python SimpleHTTPServer. See:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/tech-tip-really-simple-http-server-python

If I want to see the pages outside my home network I can use lftp (a command line ftp program) to periodically copy them to my Plusnet web space.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:57:29 AM »

Thanks for the Python suggestion. I'll have a look at it, but I'd really prefer to resolve the issues with my embedded webserver. It serves graph bitmaps and text pages as well as html pages. It does work perfectly well on my 64-bit Linux system, but depending on the router it sometimes behaves strangely.
  Eric

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:08:26 AM »

I might have missed it but can it run in command line mode or similar for the Pi?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »

You can run it from the command line, but there's no current means of configuring it that way.
  Eric

MartinGoose

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »

Thanks for the Python suggestion. I'll have a look at it, but I'd really prefer to resolve the issues with my embedded webserver.

It was only mentioned as a work-around, not as a long term solution. I will be looking out for new versions and can report back on how they work. :)

In the meantime I have plenty of new data about the performance of my connection that I need to understand. In particular, the rate of FEC errors was low for about the first 5 hours after installing the Thompson then shot up alarmingly to a steady rate of about 240000 per min, where it has remained ever since.