Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Yet another Surrey Hills adventure  (Read 4506 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Yet another Surrey Hills adventure
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 11:38:21 AM »

"Is it really right and proper that the "up to" 10/40 or 20/80 figures can so easily be used deceive the EU into a blind acceptance without any line performance check ?"

Of course it isn't, Walter. 'We' have had this discussion many, many times over and no matter how much feedback we give to our hierarchy about a two-tiered service, nothing gets done.

At a recent 'Roadshow' event, during the closing Q&A session,one of the really senior managers commented that they would be severely downsizing the contractors work-loads by next year. They will retain a certain amount for high-peak events only. I would suggest that the recent recruitment drive goes someway into backing up their intentions ??

There's a few things happening just recently, that will hopefully see improvements in BB terms. The North East have reverted back to BB being a Closed User Group (CUG). in other words, only engineers who want to perform BB faulting and have a proven track-record in this area, will actually pick up this type of work. For the last 7/8yrs, the remit has been to up-skill all and sundry making everyone fully multi-skilled. This is a huge debate and not for now, but suffice to say ...... multi-skilling doesn't lend itself to BB with a lot of people. I have it on good authority that Cumbria are to follow suit very soon, and (happy days) Lancs as well.  :)

Also, REIN. I was chatting with a senior manager in the testing side of OR (The clever sods). Not too much detail but they are implementing a nationwide forum for REIN-only engineers, and hopefully providing a lot more assistance by way of advice and testing aids to help us poor sods on the front line that don't have the £30k worth of equipment that the Precision Test Officers have access to.

It might not mean much to the layman, but IMHO these are two huge advances in the way we operate. 

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »

Thanks V much BS.

I'm pleased that at least some parts of the organisation are attempting to address a few of the issues, even though there seems little business or political appetite for a genuine long-term sustainable solution. Poor old decrepit UK Plc !!!  Long live B4RN etc etc. !!!!!

Kind regards,
Walter

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 05:49:07 PM »

What I really dont like is that on xDSL services there is no cooling off period, that period is before the install.  Every isp I have checked on the t&c state that once the service is live there is no immediate rights to cancel, some give discretion in that if a line is particurly poor they may allow the service to be cancelled but it isnt an automatic right.  I would like to see ofcom intervention here with a mandatory 30 day opt out for the consumer. 

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »

@ Chrysalis,

Yet in the converse case, where the BT Group have presumably decided it is uneconomic to maintain / upgrade the lines, they are allowed to withdraw their previous VDSL estimates rendering at least 9 lines (in two locations) unable to order VDSL services even though others in the same cable are already connected. The BT Wholesale VDSL checker has reduced all the enabled lines estimates to 1 Mbps and those without now have FTTC hidden entirely.

http://www.ewhurst-broadband.org.uk/?page_id=75

and subsequent posts.

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2]