Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: DSLstats v5.0 released (now v5.0.1)  (Read 28215 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats v5.0 released (now v5.0.1)
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »

I wouldn't expect it to work by telnet, it's an http server.

If you look in the event log you'll see the path to the webserver files. Are there files like snrm.html (depending on what items you have configured) in that directory, and do they display properly in a browser?
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:50 PM »

Unfortunately I can't reproduce this. After shutting down DSLstats, can you check ~/.dslstats/dslstats.ini, and look in the [graphs] section for the item "Samplerate=NNNNN".  This is the sample timing in milliseconds. Does it show the correct value as it was set in the GUI?

Yes, I can confirm the correct "Samplerate" is stored --

[Duo2 .dslstats]$ grep Samplerate dslstats.ini
Samplerate=60000
[Duo2 .dslstats]$

I've just started up DSLstats and will check its sampling rate in a couple of minutes.

(Two minutes later . . . ) On checking the value via the configuration tab I see it is set to 60 seconds.  :-[  I've no idea what has happened, for the problem was apparent on four separate days. The moment I make a report, it mysteriously fixes itself.  :-\

Something to consider --

Perhaps all the configuration options could be "greyed out" whilst the utility is in its recording state? Maybe the ability to change certain settings whilst the utility is in its active mode could be the source of weird results. For example, I can obtain (repeatedly and upon demand) an exception by going to the Configuration ---> Traffic Monitoring tab and changing the string in the "Modem/router model:" box by a manual process. By that I mean if "HG622 [1]" is currently selected and I place the cursor directly to the right of the "]", any press of the Backspace key (with the aim of changing the string from "HG622 [1]" to "HG622[2]") will cause an exception . . .  :(

Finally, a comment about the size of the y-axis scale for the QLN and HLog plots. I have never seen a QLN plot where the curve is below -150 dBm/Hz. So perhaps using the range -80 to -160 dBm/Hz would make better use of the space? Similarly I have never seen a HLog plot where the curve is below -100 dB. So, again, using a range of 0 to -120 dB would make better use of the space? Perhaps Bald_Eagle1, having viewed many QLN and HLog plots from different circuits over the last few years, has an opinion upon the y-axis scales?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »

For some reason it works now! I didn't touch anything!

I noticed my HG612 rebooted itself about 17 hours ago!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:08:24 PM by digitalnemesis »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »

For some reason it works now! I didn't touch anything!

I noticed my HG612 rebooted itself about 17 hours ago!

I can't explain this, but I'm grateful for the result. I'm still trying to find the cause of the issue.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2014, 07:15:23 PM »

(Two minutes later . . . ) On checking the value via the configuration tab I see it is set to 60 seconds.  [img alt=:-[]http://forum.kitz.co.uk/Smileys/kitzemotes/embarrassed.gif  I've no idea what has happened, for the problem was apparent on four separate days. The moment I make a report, it mysteriously fixes itself.

Perhaps all the configuration options could be "greyed out" whilst the utility is in its recording state? Maybe the ability to change certain settings whilst the utility is in its active mode could be the source of weird results. For example, I can obtain (repeatedly and upon demand) an exception by going to the Configuration ---> Traffic Monitoring tab and changing the string in the "Modem/router model:" box by a manual process.

The configuration options are available to the program at all times; it's only the GUI login configuration pages which are greyed out during recording.

I wasn't aware of that repeatable way of triggering an exception, but I've checked it and I confirm that you're right. That box wasn't intended to be manually edited, and if you do so, it triggers a 'Change' event, which in turn causes an exception because the new text isn't one of the options in the drop-down list. It's not related to whether the program is recording or not. I'll disable manual editing in the next release.

I can't explain the miraculous clearing of the sample rate issue, but I'm grateful for it. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:20:49 PM by roseway »
  Eric

scotsmist

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »

Hi, I'm running the latest version on linux mint 64 bit. Its a fresh install, I have an older version (4.x) in another directory. Every 24 hours I get this message

List index (0) out of bounds.

Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption.
Press Cancel to kill the program.

It seems to coincide with when I first run the program. It stops recording at the same time each day with the same message. Closing the program and starting again clears the error. Not yet sure how to reproduce it, not being a real problem until now, I came back in and the program had stopped logging for nearly two hours until I paused recording and then started it again.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »

I can't explain the miraculous clearing of the sample rate issue, but I'm grateful for it. :)

Thank you for creating and maintaining the utility.  :)

I'm hoping the problem will not reappear and so will check . . . whenever I remember.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »

Hi, I'm running the latest version on linux mint 64 bit. Its a fresh install, I have an older version (4.x) in another directory. Every 24 hours I get this message

It seems to coincide with when I first run the program. It stops recording at the same time each day with the same message. Closing the program and starting again clears the error. Not yet sure how to reproduce it, not being a real problem until now, I came back in and the program had stopped logging for nearly two hours until I paused recording and then started it again.

That's a very good clue, thank you. There are very few things which happen on that timescale, so I can concentrate on those. I'll do my best to fix it.
  Eric

mhisani

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »

I wouldn't expect it to work by telnet, it's an http server.

You misunderstand. I used telnet to see if the port was accepting a connection.

Port connects but connection is closed if I try to fetch anything via any browser. And yes those files are there in the webserver directory.

scotsmist

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2014, 10:55:58 PM »

That's a very good clue, thank you. There are very few things which happen on that timescale, so I can concentrate on those. I'll do my best to fix it.

Just a heads up that my line has RS disabled on the downstream, so the FEC error graph never normally plots anything but tonight when the error popped up, while none of the other graphs etc where plotting, the FEC Errors where. When I clicked pause and then resumed recording all the other graphs plotted again and FEC errors stopped. May just be a red herring though :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »

I can't really explain that sequence of events, but I'll have a think about it.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2014, 11:13:29 PM »

I was not aware there was a traffic moniter tool in DSLstats until reading B*CATS post

How can you look at your usage ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:32 AM »

The description of the traffic monitoring feature is here: http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/trafficconfig.html

When the feature is enabled an new tab "Traffic" is revealed, and here you get the option to display monthly or daily traffic as a bar chart, or per-minute traffic as a scrolling graph.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2014, 07:52:53 PM »

The description of the traffic monitoring feature is here: http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/trafficconfig.html

When the feature is enabled an new tab "Traffic" is revealed, and here you get the option to display monthly or daily traffic as a bar chart, or per-minute traffic as a scrolling graph.

Ah yes just like magic it appears as a new tab "traffic" with help from your above post thankyou.

There are so many useable settings in your program it's mind-boggling there is some hard work gone into making this program.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »

It probably is me but I can't see how to configure automatic snapshots of the traffic graph as distinct to saving a textual file.  :-\

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7