Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: We May Get FTTC In Our Village.  (Read 4385 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
We May Get FTTC In Our Village.
« on: June 30, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »

Well it looks like we may get FTTC after-all in our South-Derbyshire Village  : :thumbs:

Cabinet (PCP) No. 1.
Cabinet Vendor = Huawei .
Probability = 99%.
Uplift = 26.94.
Phase = BDUK Derbyshire 12b .
Deployment Date = ?. Told it may be it the next few weeks ?.
Status= Being deployed as part of BDUK

So I may get about 80 megs download if the wind blows in the right direction .
We do not yet have a new DSLAM cabinet next to Cab 1 but I will keep a look out for that.    ;)

I paced it out last week and I am about 200M from cab 1 and my twisted pair comes all the way into my house via Ducting that feeds our lane and the most other houses feed from poles.

There is no info about FTTP / H on our exchange only FTTC do you think that always will be the case ?.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: We May Get FTTC In Our Village.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:14:29 PM »

There is no info about FTTP / H on our exchange only FTTC do you think that always will be the case ?.

What do you expect,  JAM on it ? !!!

IMO   FFTH or FFTP will only happen when the great British Public realises that it eliminates Interference, Crosstalk and HR joints. ( How many complaints do we see from Virgin fibre  customers ? )

Of course, it will cost and some people may start to ask what do we want it for anyway ?!   

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »

Absolutely right, JGO.

I personally don't think FTTP will happen across the board. The bottom-line is and always will be money, and FTTP would require heavy funding.
The likelihood is that FTTP(oD) will be the way forward, or maybe even FTTK ?? Also, as you mention ...... what on gods green earth do we need 330Meg for, in a bog-standard residential premises ??

Tick, I'm happy for you and believe me, 80Meg synch will be more than enough for you !! I look forward to you moaning when crosstalk drops it to 74meg though. Ha ha.  ;) ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 03:46:52 PM »

....what on gods green earth do we need 330Meg for, in a bog-standard residential premises ??

The future. 20 years ago 56k modems were considered fast, who knows what high bandwidth products we'll be using in 20 years time.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »

What do you expect,  JAM on it ? !!!

Yes Please, raspberry  :yum:

I looked into doing a "Barn" project for our village but with the lack of help from the Parish council or anyone else and the with a main 'Fibre way' just outside the village up to full capacity and no 'Dark fibre, I did not pursue it.

Yes 80 meg should be enough and it's going to be better then my 2/3 meg at the moment.

My twisted pair comes via duct and I think it's a 2 x twisted pair cable, If I ask the nice BT man who connects up the new cabinet do you think he could bond the two pairs together ?. and that should have the resistance !. ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »

Bonding the pairs together wouldn't help much if at all, and could make your connection worse (due to transit time differences between the two pairs of wires). The resistance isn't the largest factor in the attenuation.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »

Bonding the pairs together wouldn't help much if at all, and could make your connection worse (due to transit time differences between the two pairs of wires). The resistance isn't the largest factor in the attenuation.

Thanks Eric.

Skiillzz

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »

Hi

I'm also part of BDUK Derbyshire 12b, where have you heard it might be in the next few weeks, as I've been checking due to work being done on the cabinet near me but so far nothing?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:44:49 PM by Skiillzz »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Experience in Surrey suggests an average time to RFS (Ready for Service) is about 3 months after cabinet placement, but it very much depends upon the amount of asbestos or smashed salt-glazed ducts that have to be repaired during the the fibre subduct installation.

I can confirm conductor size and line quality can result quite marked differences.
We have one cable of around 2 km of mainly 0.9 mm dia pairs where the sync speed is around 24 Mbps and another one so appalling at just over 2 km with a sync speed of 2.75 which BT Wholesale have now condemned for any more VDSL services.

To whet your appetite, here are the speeds on a VDSL line of 140 m maximum.
Kind regards,
Walter