Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Backup software  (Read 11221 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Backup software
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »

Since it looks like I'm going to have to live with my wife using Windows 8 does anyone have any suggestions as to good free file backup software which will run on W8? It just needs to copy files which have changed from the Windows system to my NAS drive, it does not need a scheduler since this will only annoy my wife, today on the Linux laptop I have to run backups and updates manually just so nothing gets in her way. I've already turned off automatic updates in W8!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Backup software
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »

Does your NAS not include some backup software?  I think mine did, but I use a combination of:-

Windows Backup (W7 & W8) but I think you may need Pro for it to backup to a network Drive.  I use this for system backups

Replicator -  Ive used this for many many years on various windows versions.  The author has since died but I believe it works on win8 too.  I find this very efficient for my daily backups of say desktop or my docs etc but you can use it for whole drives.

SyncToy from Microsoft Power Tools I find is useful for periodic backup of drives to other drives on the same PC or network.

I also use Outlook Personal folder backup for my mail.

Robocopy is something else Ive used in the past, but I stick with SyncToy for drive backups these days.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »

any suggestions as to good free file backup software which will run on W8?
Why do you not want to use the facilities included in Windows 8?
I've already turned off automatic updates in W8!
Why, they pretty much run unnoticed?  ???

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »

I use acronis trueimage for backups. I have it doing a scheduled image of my system drive once a week, and a file backup of the documents drive every day.

I also disable automatic updates, purely so that I'm in control of what gets updated and when. I've seen plenty of computers killed by dodgy windows updates (including servers).

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »

You have to remember this is my wife's PC and she does not like to be interrupted by anything happening she is not in control of, so auto-updates are a no no. I have not taken a look at any W8 features yet, if there is a simple backup I might well use it but again it will have to do what I want it to do and be completely manual as well (see above). I guess this is one reason I like Linux so much, it does what I want when I want and I'm in control. I've just run Windows Update manually and it's taken ages and is now taking absolutely ages to restart, my Linux system updates easily and never requires a reboot, I usually leave it to do my reboot when I shutdown at night and reboot next day.

As for backups Acronis is overkill for what I need, I've used it before but it is too big and does far more than I ever needed. I was hoping for a recommendation for a small fast free program (that's my Linux view coming out again  ;) ).

Stuart

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »

I've just run Windows Update manually and it's taken ages and is now taking absolutely ages to restart
Very strange, or was that the 8.0 to 8.1 update which does take a long time?
Apart from that with W8 it's pretty invisible and reboots are very rare.

I seriously suggest you take your Linux hat off and forget about it  :graduate:. This is Windows and it is what it is. Look at File History for starters, it's very good.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »

I've just run Windows Update manually and it's taken ages and is now taking absolutely ages to restart
Very strange, or was that the 8.0 to 8.1 update which does take a long time?
Apart from that with W8 it's pretty invisible and reboots are very rare.

I seriously suggest you take your Linux hat off and forget about it  :graduate:. This is Windows and it is what it is. Look at File History for starters, it's very good.

No this Laptop came with 8.1.

Sorry but you will never convert me back to MS bloatware.... Linux is lean and mean and FREE, so when W9 (or whatever they bring out) happens they will expect me to shell out big bucks which is never going to happen. This one will stay W8.1 unless my wife decides otherwise and I'll live with that since I dont have to use it  :P

Stuart

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:07:16 PM »

Sorry but you will never convert me back to MS bloatware....
Your bias (paranoia? bigotry?  :lol: ) is showing! I'm not in the slightest trying to convert you, but as you have decided to use Windows on this computer you need to forget Linux in relation to it and stop harping on about it, it won't help you.  ;D
As I said
This is Windows and it is what it is
so work with it instead of trying to make it what it isn't.  8)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:51:55 PM by HPsauce »

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »

I'd be very surprised if your wife noticed adverse effects while a Windows backup is running. My wife plays games (LOTRO, gods help us) and she can't tell when the backup kicks in. Edit2 - her machine is wireless & she's not clueless ;)

Contrary to popular opinion Windows backup does a decent job & will maintain daily/weekly/monthly backups for years. The initial backup will take a while but after that its a couple of GB/day for most users.

If you have multiple machines then Windows again does a decent job - provided there's a Windows server** in there - as it'll also provide de-duping* facilities.

tl;dr have a play with Windows built in backup first - you'll probably find it'll do what you want. Edit - backing up & restoring 64-bit versions of Windows from 32-bit versions of the OS server is do-able as well - I've restored the kids machines several times, usb stick in, boot up, enter backup password, walk away for a couple of hours (depends on network speed), remove usb stick, reboot & job done.

*no point in storing 5 copies of the same version operating system file

**Windows Home Server was decent, dunno about now as I still run WHS2008 (which is Windows 2003 server heavily scripted). Runs forever IME, year+ times between reboots are normal, although I dread the updates then :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:42:45 PM by rizla »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 09:01:38 AM »

Windows backup does a decent job
Indeed it does, though the approach has changed quite significantly with Windows 8.
I suspect the underpinnings are the same but the tools and user interface have changed, as has the logic, so don't "assume" it fits a pattern you know (or wish for  ;) ).

As noted above, look at File History first, then all the other facilities available, and work out what's appropriate for your situation.
There are a whole set of tools from complete system images, through various levels of refresh down to keeping historical versions of user files. Designed to protect against all levels of problem from a little "finger trouble" up to hard disk failure or even a totally destroyed system.

As someone who has worked for literally decades in the corporate world with many years of infrastructure responsibility (including business continuity, backups, disaster recovery etc.) I'm actually quite impressed by what is now there in the "consumer" versions.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:04:11 AM by HPsauce »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:14:13 AM »

I took a look at File History but it is overkill for what I need. Nothing my wife does needs backing up that frequently. Actually I decided to try Karens Replicator which I have used on my W2K system for years, does exactly what I need. I was worried it might not work on W8.1 but it does so for now I will run that about once a week manually. I will take a look at Windows Backup but for now I have a working solution for my needs.

Stuart

anything