Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 36136 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:30 AM »

you could install "classic shell".
You should read the earlier posts, it's not a long thread - on the same page as yours.  ;D
Try installing Classic Shell before you scrap it.  ;)

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 09:50:38 AM »

I'd just woken up  :blush:, must have missed that bit  ;) besides how else was I gonna get the bit about windows 9 in lol.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »

The whole Windows 8.1 update, W8.2, W9 makes interesting speculation, but one does wonder if MS can afford the revenue hit of giving it all away?

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 08:00:17 AM »

but one does wonder if MS can afford the revenue hit of giving it all away?

From a personal view I think Microsoft have woken up to the fact that the younger generation, and next wave of decision makers, are moving away from Microsoft OS. You can do more interesting things with PC hardware and Unix type operating systems for free. Whilst you can probably achieve the same with Microsoft OS you have to buy expensive licenses or circumvent its protection.

Why this would make a difference? From my way of looking at things these potential decision makers are more likely to move away from Microsoft than those of us who have grown up with Microsoft.

Another big point to consider is that Microsoft, whilst making money from consumers don't need them, at least from an operating system perspective. So it may make good business sense to give the basic OS for free and then hammer users for those all essential missing bits that make it useful.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »

From a personal view I think Microsoft have woken up to the fact that the younger generation, and next wave of decision makers, are moving away from Microsoft OS. You can do more interesting things with PC hardware and Unix type operating systems for free. Whilst you can probably achieve the same with Microsoft OS you have to buy expensive licenses or circumvent its protection.

Why this would make a difference? From my way of looking at things these potential decision makers are more likely to move away from Microsoft than those of us who have grown up with Microsoft.

Another big point to consider is that Microsoft, whilst making money from consumers don't need them, at least from an operating system perspective. So it may make good business sense to give the basic OS for free and then hammer users for those all essential missing bits that make it useful.

I thnk this is a valid view of things to come. One of my main motivators for moving from MS stuff to Linux was indeed price. I had run everything on my home PCs from Windows 3.1 to now Windows 8 on my wifes laptop, and at work MSDOS upwards so I have seen at close quarters how it has evolved. It is OK to get a new Windows OS as part of a new PC where the cost is hidden but start adding the extras and you can very quickly spend much more on that than you paid initially for the hardware. Pretty much every new Windows OS has needed a hardware upgrade to get reasonable performance and new versions of most additional stuff as well.

My final move to Linux (I'd been playing with it since the early Red Hat days) was driven by the cost of the MS software and additions especially when you consider I build my own desktops so have to buy OEM MS OSes. Having moved to Linux for pretty much everything now there is only one piece of software which I run on Linux which I pay for and that is a printer driver suite because right now it provides the best support and highest quality printing in my view. Everything else is free, photo editing, video editing, Office suite etc etc. So my software costs are practically zero (even the printer stuff is low cost) and none of it gives inferior results to stuff like Photoshop and MS Office.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »

Interesting turn up for the books tonight....

My wife has decided she hates this new HP Laptop and Windows 8. Main reasons are that whatever mouse we used there is a definite lag between operating the  mouse and it responding, even worse with the scroll wheel as you can click it singly 3 times if you see what I mean and only then does Windows move the screen. We've used 3 different mice and they are all the same, all 3 work flawlessly on Linux and earlier Windows. She has never liked touchpads of any variety and refuses to use them.

Next issue is the screen cant seem to get it to show white as white always looks cream and her favourite photo used as a desktop wallpaper is nothing like what it looks like on all the other PCs she's used. Also the screen is lousy when light is coming over the users shoulder as it has a very glossy screen and is quite difficult to see (I know that would be the same whatever the OS  ;) )

Last issue and the one I am going to use as reason for return is the fact that it is impossible to create recovery DVDs, apparently HP recommend using a 32gb usb stick, well I refuse to send that sort of money for a usb stick when I should be able to create DVDs with the provided software. HP say use high quality blanks (which I have) or return as defective DVD writer, so guess what I'm going to say....

Stuart

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 11:05:43 PM »

If you can, do a factory reset before taking it back, to "erase" anything personal.  ;)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »

Final update on this. Factory erase done and took it back today, you would not believe the hassle - initially refused to consider not being able to create recovery DVDs as a bug and said either I should pay them to do it or buy a 32gb memory stick. I was adamant that it was faulty so next he suggested I leave it for a day or so while they 'test' it, did not accept that. Finally he gave in and refunded as faulty when I told him that 3 different mice would not work without a lag between moving the mouse and the screen moving plus the colour rendition of the main screen was very bad when compared to my desktop with same photo.

His final comment was that for recovery disks all vendors now recommend a 32gb memory stick and that the user has to purchase that along with a new laptop.

So now I'll visit my local PC shop and get a second user laptop for my wife with W7 installed and a set of DVDs to re-install from, plus a years warranty free.

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »

It's seems just like the Move from XP to Vista the hardcore users hated the transition and it looks the same for Win7 users to Windows 8.1 the hardcore users don't like change, they will have to make the move sometime or another once MS stop supplying the updates for Win7 but by that time we my have Window 9 or 10 and then the hardcore Win8.1 users start saying Win9 or 10 is crap.

For me XP was good Vista great and Win7 was just the same as Vista and Windows 8.1 is just like the last three  ;D 

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 05:40:05 PM »

I wouldn't bet on that; with the corporate use of W7 I think it will outlast W8.1.  ;)

Don't forget XP is still fully supported by MS, you just have to pay.  8)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »

I wouldn't bet on that; with the corporate use of W7 I think it will outlast W8.1.  ;)

Don't forget XP is still fully supported by MS, you just have to pay.  8)

That's the word a harcore users would say (outlast)  :D

My Amiga 1200 and emulated 1200 using KS ROM v3.1 (A1200) rev 40.68 (512k) [391773-01/391774-01] has outlasted them all and it's all free  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 07:08:40 PM »

For me XP was good Vista great and Win7 was just the same as Vista and Windows 8.1 is just like the last three  ;D

I've used Windows since Windows 95, then Windows ME, then XP and when Vista came out I used that in Beta form then installed the OEM version, same with W7 beta, got in early and ordered multiple copies of the retail version when they done that cheap deal. I breifly tried W8, but stuck with W7, although I do have 8.1 on my Laptop. When I build my next desktop machine (Devils Canyon i7) I may well move to W8.1. I've not used W8.1 enough, but out of the others W7 was the best, and I consider myself a hardcore user.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »

With Classic Shell windows 8 isnt too bad, even though there are a few niggles.   Perhaps I havent used it enough, to get properly used to it.. purely because I do like Win7.

Historically windows has a damn good os then a crap one

ME
XP
Vista

They seem to get a stable OS, then make a pile of changes which no-one likes, then bring out another OS which is OK, then we go round again. So hopefully Windows 9 should be OK :D :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 10:08:52 PM »

The problem I have with all the upgrades is WHY?

I find it difficult to think of anything I could want to do that I could not do in XP, I'd agree that W7 is probably a tad more stable but I never had any real issues with XP. I can think of nothing that W8 can do that W7 cannot and I'm ignoring touch screens I'm talking applications. In recent times the only reason I can think of for all these upgrades is to get people to shell out loads of money to keep Microsoft afloat.

I know that many hardware vendors  make silly decisions. While I did have the laptop I discovered that Canon did not make any drivers for their SELPHY CP900 printer for W8, when I queried this with Canon the answer was that as it was designed before W8 it cannot be made compatible. Guess what if you turn off driver signing in W8 the W7 driver installs and the printer works flawlessly!

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »

Things change and things move on, does Linux never have updates then?

I can think of loads of things that I can do in W7 and W8 which I could not do in XP, just because you can't doesn't mean others don't  use or want the new features.

All manufacturers have an upgrade cycle,  be it software, cars, tv's. If they didn't they'd go out of business.

If you don't like Windows don't use it, if it's what your wife wants then accept it and get on with it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything