Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 8.1 testing and clean install using win 8.0 key  (Read 9155 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Windows 8.1 testing and clean install using win 8.0 key
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »

Ok so microsoft have made it harder to test and clean install, Windows 7 could be installed with no key.

I have found a way to download the 8.1 ISO without a key from here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

My 2 questions are.

1 - Is there a way to put 8.1 to test on my spare rig without activating with one of my retail keys?  So basically is there some sort of trial key?
2 - When I decide to put this on my main PC and laptop for proper use, is there a way to clean install 8.1 using a 8.0 upgrade key?  I dont want to do a messy upgrade process, my motto is clean install is always better.

I will probably google and find answers anyway but interested in people's experiences.

Thanks

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Windows 8.1 testing and clean install using win 8.0 key
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »

testing is off to a very bad start, I am having 2 nasty problems.

After installing 'some' updates smooth scrolling stops working in IE11, this doesnt occur on win10 preview and on win7.  See next bit to see why I say 'some'.

I also cannot install many of the updates, this is on a clean install of windows 8.1 update 1, the problem is that when it says downloading updates, many of the updates dont finish downloading it sits there forever doing nothing.  I have had this issue on win7 before but the procedure that works to fix it isnt working, and I find it very bizarre this is happening on a clean install of the OS with no third party software installed or customisation done.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:46:37 AM »

We have encountered similar issues recently after rebuilding computers that have large amounts of updates. This problem seems to have only started since microsoft started including "other" software and not just updates/hot fixes.

Not looked to much into this as we have always managed to get all updates installed. One way we have done this is to install the updates in chunks and deal with any failed updates last. If updating seems to have gone way south try deleting the contents of the following directory

%windir%\SoftwareDistribution

Then let the updates come down again
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:39:03 AM »

I fixed the update issue, it was down to me using a mtu of 1500 bytes, I thought this was fine but obviously not so now I am on the PPPoE standard of 1492 bytes and its working properly.

Since fixing the updates I have not retested IE11 yet.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »

I fixed the update issue, it was down to me using a mtu of 1500 bytes, I thought this was fine but obviously not so now I am on the PPPoE standard of 1492 bytes and its working properly.

Since fixing the updates I have not retested IE11 yet.

Interesting since I just checked my HG635 TT router and it defaults to 1500.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »

smooth scrolling is also ok now.