Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Strange DSLStats situation  (Read 14448 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Strange DSLStats situation
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »

The strange thing is that now DSLStats (this new version) is running and updating the.ini file in the program folder. There is only one user on this system - me - and I am administrator and everything else is running just fine all using program folders where there is an option. It was ONLY DSLStats which failed to start error free after the malware was removed.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 08:52:47 PM »

The strange thing is that now DSLStats (this new version) is running and updating the.ini file in the program folder. There is only one user on this system - me - and I am administrator and everything else is running just fine all using program folders where there is an option. It was ONLY DSLStats which failed to start error free after the malware was removed.

Stuart

Just one of those DSLstats anomalies then, now which version of DSLstats where you using before this went belly up ?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:25 PM »

Just one of those DSLstats anomalies then, now which version of DSLstats where you using before this went belly up ?

I already indicated at the start that (at the time it happened) I was running what was the latest beta. Now the one which is working is the one Eric put up today for testing. I suspect it is catching an error now and handling it which it was not doing before. Whether that error is a DSLStats issue or an OS problem I dont know until Eric comes back with his opinion.

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 09:22:48 PM »

I already indicated at the start that (at the time it happened) I was running what was the latest beta. Now the one which is working is the one Eric put up today for testing. I suspect it is catching an error now and handling it which it was not doing before. Whether that error is a DSLStats issue or an OS problem I dont know until Eric comes back with his opinion.

Stuart

So you were running the lastest beta V4.54.8 which had the problem is that correct ?
It would be nice for other members to know which version your using the reference V0.00.0 it does help  ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:30:29 PM by NewtronStar »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »

I have some ideas about this now. DSLstats doesn't call any Windows programs, but it does of course call native APIs and uses native widgets. (These calls are indirect, because Lazarus is a cross-platform development system and so has an interface layer between the programmer and the native APIs and widgets.)

In reading and writing .ini files, API calls will be made, and it's possible that the malware attack damaged this part of the OS. The fact that no other programs are affected may simply be because you don't use any other programs which use .ini files. This possibility would be supported by the error message you reported "Error restoring login configuration". In a more general sense it would explain why errors are occurring during both reading and writing .ini files.

All the DSLstats tabs which display text use a widget called a memo control. This widget is, I believe, also used by Notepad for its main text editing window. I wonder if the malware attack may have damaged this widget as well as the Notepad program. I can't really see how this would lead to problems reading and writing .ini files, but it could cause DSLstats to malfunction.

Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 07:37:42 AM »

Eric, thanks for the explanation. As this PC is working OK at present for everything except DSLStats I'll live with it for now, if I take it down to rebuild it will take my weather station offline for quite a while which is something I'll only do as a last resort. In the mean time I'll investigate this memo control thing and see if I can come up with what modules are involved.

Stuart
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything