Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Strange DSLStats situation  (Read 14449 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Strange DSLStats situation
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 01:13:04 PM »

I've been thinking about making some changes to the way errors are trapped, to give more information. Rather than turning off error trapping, I've been considering making it more fine grained, with a descriptive event log entry which will point more precisely at the area where the problem occurs. I'll see what I can do with this.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »

Thanks Eric, I think this will be a good move as these problems I am having are almost certainly nothing to do with the DSLStats code itself but the OS. Anything which can help explain any errors would be very worthwhile.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »

:-[ :-X

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »

As a sort of aside ( hopefully with some slight relevance), although I use free Revo Undelete on its strongest setting to clean uninstall, out of curiosity I have found left overs on a second run, also items left in Registry.

Although I have run ccleaner I dont believe DSLStats uses the Registry at all so that is unlikely to affect it.

Stuart

Well DSLstats my not use the registry directly but if I run Regedit and do a search for DSLstats quite a few registry entries come up in the file system for DSLstats  :-\

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 10:25:14 PM »

Yes but they are all either windows or application settings, like recently used stuff in editors for example.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 10:53:28 PM »

That's correct. DSLstats itself doesn't touch the registry.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 11:19:21 PM »

Yes but they are all either windows or application settings, like recently used stuff in editors for example.

Stuart

Thanks Roseway & Broadstairs for that info, I whish you had a rollback (system restore) for that W2K BS it may have undone what the malware program did  :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »

Although dslstats doesnt write anything to the registry, it does create & need an .ini file to run.

In windows the default program to open .ini is notepad, so I guess at when you ran the malware cleaner and it deleted notepad.exe, then it also deleted any file associations with notepad.

You may need to create a new association for notepad with the .ini extension.   I cant recall how to do this now on a win2k machine as its >10yrs since Ive used w2k, but Im sure if you google it, somewhere will tell you.   I think it was CP > Folder Options > File types.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 11:37:30 PM »

Although dslstats doesnt write anything to the registry, it does create & need an .ini file to run.

In windows the default program to open .ini is notepad, so I guess at when you ran the malware cleaner and it deleted notepad.exe, then it also deleted any file associations with notepad.

You may need to create a new association for notepad with the .ini extension.   I cant recall how to do this now on a win2k machine as its >10yrs since Ive used w2k, but Im sure if you google it, somewhere will tell you.   I think it was CP > Folder Options > File types.

Indeed and it has all been replaced with kosher copy and file associations restored. Eric confirmed that he does not call any external programs so I doubt that would be an issue anyway.

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:31 AM »

>>  file associations restored

ok..  just checking as that was my immediate thought as what would cause the problem....  as reinstalling notepad wouldnt automatically recreate the file associations.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 08:03:15 AM »

ok..  just checking as that was my immediate thought as what would cause the problem....  as reinstalling notepad wouldnt automatically recreate the file associations.

Yes initially I wondered but Eric assured me he did not use notepad (or anything else external).

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »

Stuart,

I've produced a version which has a lot of extra error logging during startup and closedown, to try to get to the bottom of your issue. Any errors which occur during startup should be logged in some detail, and if errors occur during closedown (or while saving the configuration), the errors are logged, the log is saved, and a popup message will tell you where the event log is saved.

This version (4.99) is actually the version I hope to release as 5.0, and has several small improvements shown in the included changelog. It's Windows only at present.

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/files/dslstats32W-4.99.zip
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »

Eric this version will start and run but insists on having the graphs and .ini in the OS location initially and not program directory. I was able to change it back but on any susequent start the event log gives.

01 Jul 2014 17:31:56   Configuration files stored in F:\DSLStats\
01 Jul 2014 17:31:56   Error restoring login configuration
01 Jul 2014 17:31:56   Snapshot folder is F:\DSLStats\Graphs\

However it does not run....

Stuart

Edit: I just had a thought and wondered if the SuperAntiSpyware I installed did something to force .ini files into Documents & Settings but there is nothing in its prefs to suggest that. I may uninstall it and see if it makes any difference.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:49:37 PM by broadstairs »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »

Eric this version will start and run but insists on having the graphs and .ini in the OS location initially and not program directory. I was able to change it back but on any susequent start the event log gives.

01 Jul 2014 17:31:56   Configuration files stored in F:\DSLStats\
01 Jul 2014 17:31:56   Error restoring login configuration
01 Jul 2014 17:31:56   Snapshot folder is F:\DSLStats\Graphs\

However it does not run....

Stuart

Edit: I just had a thought and wondered if the SuperAntiSpyware I installed did something to force .ini files into Documents & Settings but there is nothing in its prefs to suggest that. I may uninstall it and see if it makes any difference.

thats sounds like an issue with permission for authenicated users to access and modify the ini. file in that location.  :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »

Yes initially I wondered but Eric assured me he did not use notepad (or anything else external).

Stuart

Dslstats doesn't directly use or call notepad.  But WINDOWS needs some text editor to be associated with .ini files that dslstats needs to run.  The o/s also needs permission to run notepad.exe, so check perms.

If the file associations or even the paths for notepad.exe are wrong then this can cause problems with any programs that use or create log, com and ini type files.  It can be a headache for a programmer if the path for notepad isn't in the default location...  Or even going back further I seem to recall problems with notepad.exe location being in sys32 or windows directory and the %path% not being set right.  I certainly can recall paths being a pita when using the likes of turbo pascal and the early javac compilers on w2k/winME when I was at college.

I can't google atm as I'm on the ipad, but I'm wondering about the possibility of not all the notepad dependencies being extracted... And if it's worth installing something like notepad++ as the default text editor and associate that with ini files.

----
NS posted whilst I was typing this, but leaving my post as was

-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything