Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Debian Etch  (Read 7737 times)

jabns

• Reg Member
Debian Etch
« on: January 25, 2008, 05:44:15 AM »

Hi all,

Just about to reformat my main workstation to debian etch. I hope it has the raid drivers for my nVidia 680i chipset.

Just before i do it i just have to transfer 12Gbs worth of ISOs over to my old IDE HDD which gives me plenty of time to talk (remaining time 102mins)  ;).

I have been playing around with debian for the last week in my vmware server and its been great. There has only been one issuse where the package manager was constantly in use and therefore sopping me updating ect... To solve that i just typed in:
Code: [Select]
pidof apt-get update
kill (whatever the pid number was)

I think the main reason for migrating from xp was that in linux you just open up yor package manager and get what ever software you need for free. I have failed to find anything that was not available.

It is also going to be better for testing my PHP as at the moment i am having to write multiple components. I have to write them for linux and windows because i use alot of system interaction with my scripts and the CLIs use different commands ect...

Right i am going to go and convert all my HDDs to FAT32 so i can read and write to them.

I will let you know how it goes later.

James

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Debian Etch
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »

For sheer quality and stability I don't think there's a better OS on the planet than Debian Stable (Etch). It is of course the OS which powers a large chunk of the internet. For desktop use you won't find the latest versions of programs because their quality release procedures are extensive and time consuming. I use Debian Testing (Lenny), and despite the name it's very stable and I do get the benefit of more up-to-date programs.

Anyway, good luck in what you're doing, and I'll be very interested to hear how it goes.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »

Good luck :)
Just noticed the time of your post  :o , I had been in bed about an hour then  :) these computers.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 03:03:18 AM »

In short it did not go well.

This morning i installed it fine on my Dell XPS everything went fine except i had to disable raid as it did not like the nvraid controller.

Then at about 13:00 the parts for my new PC arrived so i put that together(took longer than expected because i like to get my cable management perfect). After i had put it all together i went to install debian. It booted into the cd fine but when it completed the hardware scan it said no CD ROM Drive found  ??? (i scratched my head for a while) and then tried running the netinstall cd but it through up the same error??

I am currently running ubuntu 7.10 64bit on it without any problems(i thought ubuntu was based on debian?).

Have you got any ideas as to why it is saying my CD Drive(which the installer is running from) is not been found.

Just some info:

New PC is:
Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Q6600 GO
2GB 800mhz RAM
2x WD Rapters(not in raid)
NV GF 7950GX2 (i was surprised ubuntu had a driver for this)
SATA DVD-RW (asus)
No Floppy

It says i can load the drivers from a floppy but i have not fitted one.

I prefer debian over ubuntu so i could do with figuring this out.

I need to go to bed now because i have been awake for 30+ hours. I will try again tomorrow morning with a fresh head.

Thanks,
James

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:46:47 AM »

I don't know if this helps: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=22983

It's not too surprising that Ubuntu had a driver for your graphics card. It will presumably have used the open source nv driver which works well enough but doesn't have 3d support. To get that you will need to install the proprietary nVidia driver after installation.
  Eric

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »

cheers for the link. I have just read it and alot of other articles and it seems to be a big problem with "etch". Alot of people are finding that older versions are picking there drives up but not newer ones.

I am going to stick with ubuntu/xp for the moment and then i will give the testing debian ago next week when i get some more DVDs.

Thanks for the help,
James

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 01:12:09 PM »

My pleasure. :)
  Eric

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 06:42:27 AM »

You won't believe my luck!

My motherboard just died after only 24hours of use. I have got to send it back to scan so it probably won't be next weekend  :lol: .

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 07:19:03 AM »

I expect Linux destroyed it (thought I'd better say that first, before some Windows fan came along and said the same) :D
  Eric

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:19:43 AM »

;D Those evil penguins  :lol:

I think the reason is because there is one dodgy transistor on my mobo in some models

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »

Yes, there does seem to be the odd report of failure with that board. It's got some nice features though, particularly for overclockers.
  Eric

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 12:05:01 PM »

When i get my new one i intend to overclock my CPU to beyond 3Ghz.

Good job i hadn't already.