Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Looking to switch FTTC ISP, need advice  (Read 13505 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Looking to switch FTTC ISP, need advice
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:01:09 AM »

Hi all,
I'm looking to switch FTTC ISP after being with BT Business Infinity Option 2 for over two years.

My needs are:
- Up to 80/20 package
- Multiple static IP's (I currently have a usable range of x.x.x.208-x.x.x.214)
- Fairly reliable service at peak times
- Preferrably lower prices than BT, at the moment I personally feel BT's increases in prices are subsidising other services that I don't use (such as BT Sports), which isn't in my interest

Hopefully my needs aren't too demanding and are possible, I'm out of contract so can move anytime :). Landline is BT ?Retail? (Residential) at the moment, will happily move that as well, I also opted out of the 1571 service after finding out that it's charging me extra each month.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Looking to switch FTTC ISP, need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:01:27 AM »

BT's increases in prices are subsidising other services that I don't use (such as BT Sports)
Probably not on a business package TBH. Is that what you need going forwards?
And how much do BT charge you at present?

Last time I looked at business packages BT were fairly competitive, but that was a while back.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »

BT's increases in prices are subsidising other services that I don't use (such as BT Sports)
Probably not on a business package TBH. Is that what you need going forwards?
And how much do BT charge you at present?

I don't mind not being on a business package, as long as it has the option for requesting a few static IP's as opposed to just one static IP. I looked at Zen so far but not sure if they offer multiple static IP's.

In all, I pay...
To BT Retail: *edit* Sorry, I made an error in the post, correct amounts are: £21.47 for line rental and unlimited anytime calls + BT Privacy at Home - Caller Display @ £1.75
To BT Business: £54.60 (BT Infinity for business - Advance Support Option 2 w/ Unlimited Bandwidth + 5 Static IP's)
Making a total of: £77.82 per month

Also, I imagine I'll need to move the FTTC service first then move the phone service once FTTC's switched (as I've heard switching the phone away from BT retail will trigger a cancellation on the BT Infinity for business service).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:27:24 AM by Ixel »

cpettitt

• ISP Rep
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »

How many Static IP's would you require?
Chris Pettitt
Plusnet Digital Care Team

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »

Have a look at TTB, they add in some useful free call features and allow a free block of 4IP's but that is only two actual IP's for use.  I have found there support responsive as well.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 11:41:22 AM »

How many Static IP's would you require?

Hi,
At the moment I have 5 usable static IP's. At the minimum though I'd like to have 3, but if necessary I can scrap a virtual machine and accept 2 IP's at the very minimum. I run a home server and two other virtual machines on the home server. Other than that, port forwarding or DMZ from the router isn't an option either :).

Have a look at TTB, they add in some useful free call features and allow a free block of 4IP's but that is only two actual IP's for use.  I have found there support responsive as well.

Is that TalkTalk Business? If so I'm rather dubious of TalkTalk, but I'll certainly explore that option and be open minded :), thanks for the suggestion.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »

Talk Talk business are separate to TT retail.7 day (8am till 8pm) UK based support,which irrc is based in Yorkshire

76/20 FTTC £25.50 a month + £14.50 line rental,this includes free unlimited calls to mobiles and also one or two calling features.And up to 4 static IPs

http://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/products-and-services/connectivity-networking/business-broadband/?infinity=gaw~Brand+Pure~Pure_Brand_Exact~36045630846~talktalk%20business~e&gclid=CPrk6rOvl78CFeoJwwodsgEAww

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:32 PM »

Talk Talk business are separate to TT retail.7 day (8am till 8pm) UK based support,which irrc is based in Yorkshire

76/20 FTTC £25.50 a month + £14.50 line rental,this includes free unlimited calls to mobiles and also one or two calling features.And up to 4 static IPs

http://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/products-and-services/connectivity-networking/business-broadband/?infinity=gaw~Brand+Pure~Pure_Brand_Exact~36045630846~talktalk%20business~e&gclid=CPrk6rOvl78CFeoJwwodsgEAww

Wow, mobiles too! And the fact they are seperate from TalkTalk's home service, so that's certainly tempting. I'll consider that for sure, thanks! Any other suggestions still welcome, I haven't decided just yet :). Thanks for advice so far.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »

I imagine I'll need to move the FTTC service first then move the phone service once FTTC's switched (as I've heard switching the phone away from BT retail will trigger a cancellation on the BT Infinity for business service).
Extremely likely, you need to plan the migration carefully.
I'd consider keeping the phone service with BT whatever to minimise such risks.

However it depends on how critical lack of downtime is. If it's important think about installing a new line for the new service then cancelling the old one once it's all up and running. Means a new number though or paying two line rentals.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »

I imagine I'll need to move the FTTC service first then move the phone service once FTTC's switched (as I've heard switching the phone away from BT retail will trigger a cancellation on the BT Infinity for business service).
Extremely likely, you need to plan the migration carefully.
I'd consider keeping the phone service with BT whatever to minimise such risks.

However it depends on how critical lack of downtime is. If it's important think about installing a new line for the new service then cancelling the old one once it's all up and running. Means a new number though or paying two line rentals.

I see. Yeah I'll move FTTC first then do the phone later on once FTTC is done with the move.

I'm stuck between Zen (which at the moment is a very tempting option), Plusnet (which I don't know whether they offer multiple static IP's and for which packages) or finally TalkTalk Business.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »

I know we (Zen) do multiple IP's and have Unlimited Usage on some packages. If you take the phone as well, then it becomes cheaper.

My Opinion would be PlusNet or Zen.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »

I know we (Zen) do multiple IP's and have Unlimited Usage on some packages. If you take the phone as well, then it becomes cheaper.

My Opinion would be PlusNet or Zen.

Would I have to instantly take the phone with broadband at time of order, or could I add the phone later on for it to become cheaper? As I'm most likely going to move the phone after FTTC is migrated.

cpettitt

• ISP Rep
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 01:47:37 PM »

We have quite a bit of information available at http://www.plus.net/business/offers/bbbmay14/?WT.mc_id=sem_biz_001.

If you have any direct questions though, you can send a message directly to the Business Sales Team here: http://www.plus.net/business/sales-enquiries/
Chris Pettitt
Plusnet Digital Care Team

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »

Your should be able to take the phone after and then have the cost lowered.

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/fibre-optic-broadband/fibre-and-phone-packages.aspx

You may even wish to call our sale department, as they can give you a better idea about cost and the ins and outs of it all.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 08:21:19 PM »

bear in mind talktalk prices isnt what you pay, it excludes vat.

It still looks a not bad package tho, not many providers include 0845,0870 premium numbers and mobiles.  Plus LLU backhaul.

I avoided zen for 2 reasons.

Their t&c's seem a bit hostile against the consumer on line faults.
Their approach to ipv6 doesnt seem very pro active.
Pages: [1] 2 3