Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats - Release v 3.0 for EXISTING users  (Read 21816 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 Modem Stats - Release v 3.0 for EXISTING users
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »

it will run but isnt ideal.

since you compiled it I suggest distributing both versions from now on, as 32bit has to run on a emulation layer.  The vast majority of people run 64bit now days anyway.

As Abraham Lincoln said:-

“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

Having everything run compiled as 32 bit is my own 'attempt' at making things work for all of the people all of the time  :lol:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »

It does seem to have been a one off and I don't see any errors to-day.

As for the ini file I can't find or see one for HG612_Modem_stats, also checked in the C:\User\Name\AppData\local can see DSLstats configuration file and others.

Which location should it reside ?

It is named HG612_stats.ini

It has to reside in the Scripts folder otherwise you would see the error message every minute.

Do you have the view option set as "Hide extensions for known file types" in the folder options menu?
If so, you are likely to see more that one file named HG612_stats, but with different icons, one of which will be the ini file & another will be HG612_stats.exe

Sorry BE1 it was right in front of me  :-[ blame it on old age.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »

Everything looks O.K. there  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:19 PM »

Everything looks O.K. there  :)

Thanks for having a look, and HG612_Modem_Stats is working well with lastest updates don't know why the auto update installer had a hickup, but have not yet run it on Windows 8.1 if it works fine then it must be a Vista thing  ::)

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »

I wonder if the hickup was down to timing, I'm not sure what checks BE1's update program does, but if the logging was not turned off then it is possible the INI file was being read by one of the logging programs when you tried to update them.

I've spent over 5 hours tonight rewriting the update code in the GUI to handle all the major parts of the programs, so I am progressing. Should be able to get a fair bit more done tomorrow night, then it's just a case of fine tuning it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »

I wonder if the hickup was down to timing, I'm not sure what checks BE1's update program does, but if the logging was not turned off then it is possible the INI file was being read by one of the logging programs when you tried to update them.

I've spent over 5 hours tonight rewriting the update code in the GUI to handle all the major parts of the programs, so I am progressing. Should be able to get a fair bit more done tomorrow night, then it's just a case of fine tuning it.

Well I don't know if this helps but I found an Exit_2_Instances errors have uploaded the event seems to have started on the 16th of may 2014  :-\

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 06:15:14 AM »

That sounds like the known Microsoft Task Scheduler bug:-

"Every hour, the Task Scheduler service schedules tasks to be run over the next hour in a schedule window. If the start time of a task coincides with the end of the current schedule window and with the beginning of the next schedule window, then the task may be scheduled two times. In this situation, the task is scheduled at the end of the current schedule window and again at the beginning of the next schedule window."

There is a Microsoft article & hotfix available here:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2461249/en-us?sd=rss&spid=14019

As there probably aren't too many users across the world that run scheduled tasks every minute while the PC is switched on, it appears that Microsoft has chosen not to include this fix in their general auto-update system.

Deleting & recreating the logging task at say 30 seconds past the minute may help to 'shift' the records of tasks scheduled to run within a given 1 hour window as a workaround.

I used to see the same issue on my W7 system, but I downloaded & applied the hotfix which acted as a permanent cure.

Older versions of HG612_stats.exe would leave behind the ONGOING-ISRUNNING files.

The later versions now record these instances in the log you posted & delete the files.
Any remaining ONGOING-ISRUNNING files nowadays act as a warning that something else had caused HG612_stats.exe to exit early or that it is 'stuck', needing manual intervention to end its process via Task Manager.

Most times, the 'other' running instance is allowed to continue & harvest/record the stats accordingly.

However, as there is only a split second between each instance starting, both instances can occasionally be deleted, especially if some other program has slowed the PC down. e.g. an anti-virus program hogging a lot of CPU resource.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »

There is a Microsoft article & hotfix available here:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2461249/en-us?sd=rss&spid=14019

That excellent BE1 have downloaded hotfix and deleted exit_2_Instances log as the last E2I error occured on the 23rd of June.

Just want to see if thoses exit_2_Instances errors comes back before I install the hotfix, just me being over cautious  :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »

these issues will become more frequent now microsoft have abandoned service packs :(

many hotfixes are not on windows update, 100s of them if not 1000s.  They usually get rolled out in service packs instead.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »

these issues will become more frequent now microsoft have abandoned service packs :(

many hotfixes are not on windows update, 100s of them if not 1000s.  They usually get rolled out in service packs instead.

What no service packs  :( I always looked forward to SP day and installing them, though I can see why as if you don't have enough battery left in your laptop or someone turns off the Desktop during the service pack installation then it's hello Black Screen of Death  :no:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »

Just want to see if thoses exit_2_Instances errors comes back before I install the hotfix, just me being over cautious  :D

Yes. I would only use the hotfix as a last resort.

As the logging programs now generally handle the 2 instances issue cleanly, it's probaly something you could live with, just emptying/deleting the log file now & then.

I only installed the hotfix to test if it actually worked or not.

It certainly worked on my system, but I probably wouldn't install it again now that the programs seem to deal with it O.K.

The hotfix certainly wasn't well publicised & it took literally hours to find it at the time.
I saw many, many users mentioning the issue when googling, but only one that actually pointed me to the Microsoft site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »

However, as there is only a split second between each instance starting, both instances can occasionally be deleted, especially if some other program has slowed the PC down. e.g. an anti-virus program hogging a lot of CPU resource.

I'll have to put my hands up here and say I do enjoy a good gaming spree 2 to 3 days a week and some of those games are coming close to 100% on each CPU core while HG612_modem_stats and DSLstats is working away in the background.

I guess it's time to install a I5 CPU + MB and Ram  :( £££
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:22:11 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 12:17:11 AM »

What no service packs  :( I always looked forward to SP day and installing them, though I can see why as if you don't have enough battery left in your laptop or someone turns off the Desktop during the service pack installation then it's hello Black Screen of Death  :no:

windows 7 will never get a SP2, they announced a while back they stopping them, probably to encourage people to move to windows 8.

Windows 8 has been getting updates but I dont know if they are equivelent to full service packs with all hotfixes included or just feature updates.

Jaggies

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »

Just signed up to this forum as a new user of the Modem Stats program as well as the HG612 I bought recently from a well-known auction site...

I have the Windows error beep every minute thing going on here - I've also tried to upgrade to the latest version from the link at the top of this thread, but I get the following when trying to complete the installation by running PROGRAMS_UPD4TER.exe

HG612 Modem Stats v 3.0.0.0 - Updating existing programs
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

Modem type = HG612
The location for the ongoing log folder WAS specified

Continuing will extract the updated programs to the Scripts folder
The original programs will be renamed.
e.g. GRAPH6_2014-07-16-0115.exe

Continue?  [Y]es / [N]o

Programs_update = 0
Existing [GRAPH6.exe] modified 2014-06-22-1727
Updated [GRAPH6.exe] modified 2014-06-22-0146
 *** New file is older than original file ***
 *** NOT Updating [GRAPH6.exe] ***

Existing [graphpd.exe] modified 2014-06-22-1727
Updated [graphpd.exe] modified 2014-06-22-0146
*** NOT Updating [graphpd.exe] ***

Existing [HG612 Stats logging GUI.exe] modified 2014-06-22-1755
Updated [HG612 Stats logging GUI.exe] modified 2014-06-18-1918
*** NOT Updating [HG612 Stats logging GUI.exe] ***

Existing [HG612_current_stats.exe] modified 2014-06-22-1727
Updated [HG612_current_stats.exe] modified 2014-06-22-0146
*** NOT Updating [HG612_current_stats.exe] ***

Existing [HG612_Run.exe] modified 2014-06-22-1727
Updated [HG612_Run.exe] modified 2013-03-15-0037
*** NOT Updating [HG612_Run.exe] ***

Existing [HG612_stats.exe] modified 2014-06-22-1727
Updated [HG612_stats.exe] modified 2014-06-22-0147
*** NOT Updating [HG612_stats.exe] ***

Existing [SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.exe] modified 2014-06-22-1727
Updated [SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.exe] modified 2014-06-22-0147
*** NOT Updating [SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.exe] ***

Extracting updated Modems.txt to Editor folder
Removing all files from the Temp folder
Removing Temp folder
Press a key to exit.....

This was the second attempt at the update, but I got the exact same errors last time I tried it. TBH, I just turned the speakers off and forgot about as I've been a bit busy.

Thoughts welcome...

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

Is that Windows 8.1?

I don't have that version for testing anything.

It seems almost all your existing programs have the time stamp 2014-06-22-1727. i.e. newer than the actual updated programs:-

Existing [HG612_stats.exe] modified 2014-06-22-1727
Updated [HG612_stats.exe] modified 2014-06-22-0147
*** NOT Updating [HG612_stats.exe] ***

I'll assume that however you installed the original programs, it actually changed the file modified dates to the time they were installed.

Following the attempted update, you should have a file named Updated_Programs.zip in the Scripts folder, containing the real updated files.

You could try unzipping that file to the Scripts folder & allow the existing files to be overwritten.

Even if the modified dates are changed again, you should at least then have the real updated files.

To check which versions you have, right clicking on say HG612_stats.exe, then clicking Properties & then clicking the Details tab should show something like shown in the attachment to this message.

i.e. :-

File version 3.0.0.0
Product version 3.0
Date modified 22/06/2014 01:47

Please let me know if that works.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4