Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interference Help - REIN or Crosstalk  (Read 9792 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Interference Help - REIN or Crosstalk
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »

on my install day a year and a half back , i had a cherrypicker because a new line was needed to the pole and the pole was listed on their books as not to be climbed ( obviously it was too old ).

:o not to be climbed ! gezz that pole must be in some state perry, me thinks they use cherry pickers these days due to health and safety regulation.

PS perry what was wrong with your original drop wire (Line)  ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »

Working from memory, a pole with a D label attached to it is one classified as dangerous (thus not to be climbed) and a pole with a SD label attached to it is one classified to have been "planted" at a short-depth (again, not to be climbed).

Possibly there are other categories, of which I do not know but Black Sheep will be able to list.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

perry081064

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 10:13:19 PM »

on my install day a year and a half back , i had a cherrypicker because a new line was needed to the pole and the pole was listed on their books as not to be climbed ( obviously it was too old ).

:o not to be climbed ! gezz that pole must be in some state perry, me thinks they use cherry pickers these days due to health and safety regulation.

PS perry what was wrong with your original drop wire (Line)  ?

yea , B*CAT is correct , it has indeed got a D stamp :)
( there is quite a few claw marks at the base , so methinks our furry friend may have paid a visit to check ;)  )
to answer your question NS , i recall the openreach guy saying it was ancient ( and to be honest it looked quite flat , hard and brittle ,  compared to a brand new line.
it seemed to teminate within the kitchen wall so it hadnt been used in a very long time , the new line enters the house from the front rather than the back , directly into my living room connected to a new NTE5.

splbound

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »

Update:

No pole climbing required for now.

Line has been much more stable and am currently sitting on 1day 14hours without resync.
I have stuck my unlocked HG612 on it to monitor stats again.

Whatever was done at the Cabinet or anywhere else down the line has made a good improvement.

I am being interleaved on the downstream, upstream is fine.
Still getting errors on the line though.

I hope it stays this way.

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:   2
Max:   Upstream rate = 15541 Kbps, Downstream rate = 65836 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 15471 Kbps, Downstream rate = 55185 Kbps

Link Power State:   L0
Mode:         VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:      Profile 17a
TPS-TC:         PTM Mode
Trellis:      U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:      No Defect
Training Status:   Showtime
      Down      Up
SNR (dB):    6.8       6.1
Attn(dB):    0.0       0.0
Pwr(dBm):    12.4       7.4
         VDSL2 framing
         Path 0
B:      51      237
M:      1      1
T:      64      64
R:      12      16
S:      0.0300      0.4894
L:      17077      4152
D:      1081      1
I:      64      127
N:      64      254
         Counters
         Path 0
OHF:      72707544      746223
OHFErr:      23387      1725
RS:      1433130553      2243031
RSCorr:      13534855      18827
RSUnCorr:   3522933      0

Path 0
HEC:      677064      0
OCD:      15803      0
LCD:      15803      0
Total Cells:   1975612637      0
Data Cells:   37459856      0
Drop Cells:   0
Bit Errors:   0      0

ES:      1281      1294
SES:      118      5
UAS:      82      82
AS:      140060

Path 0
INP:      3.00      0.00
PER:      1.91      7.83
delay:      8.00      0.00
OR:      100.06      30.64

Bitswap:   44840      9506

Total time = 1 days 4 hours 25 min 3 sec
FEC:      27366421      28242
CRC:      61044      2369
ES:      1281      1294
SES:      118      5
UAS:      82      82
LOS:      18      0
LOF:      16      0
Latest 15 minutes time = 10 min 3 sec
FEC:      20875      6
CRC:      21      3
ES:      5      4
SES:      0      0
UAS:      0      0
LOS:      0      0
LOF:      0      0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
FEC:      26485      2
CRC:      15      2
ES:      5      2
Latest 1 day time = 4 hours 25 min 3 sec
FEC:      512593      178
CRC:      186      91
ES:      37      63
Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
FEC:      10834722      16737
CRC:      22642      1400
ES:      614      523
SES:      51      4
Since Link time = 1 days 14 hours 54 min 19 sec
FEC:      13534855      18827
CRC:      23387      1725
ES:      764      767
SES:      51      4
#

splbound

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »

Just when I was having a good run..

The past weekend everything was down and I had no line so spend a good part of the morning having to get an engineer in to sort out their mistake.

Openreach routed my line to someone else on friday at 2:00pm. Mistake, fair enough but what annoyed me this time is now I had to take my holiday time off to be there for the engineer to sort out their mistake. Not happy.

At least now I'm back in business.

I also found another team are rewiring the whole cabinet I am on.
I now have a crapload of re-syncs which is causing all sorts of problems with the DLM knocking my speeds down.

I hope it all gets sorted out soon and settle down again.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »

Working from memory, a pole with a D label attached to it is one classified as dangerous (thus not to be climbed) and a pole with a SD label attached to it is one classified to have been "planted" at a short-depth (again, not to be climbed).

Possibly there are other categories, of which I do not know but Black Sheep will be able to list.  :)

Apologies for being late to the party, but I missed this request by B*Cat initially. I do have a reasonable excuse though, I was sailing around the Med at the time.  ;D

The Cat is correct with the 'D' and 'SD' markings, and to be pedantic in the extreme …… the terminology is, 'Shallow Depth'.
I'm sat here wracking my brains about other markings, and apart from 'H" for 'Hazard', I've hit the wall. I just know deep-down there are others ??

BTW …. Hazard is to make the climber aware of spiked railings, razor-wire within the drop-zone (i.e.: if you were unlucky enough to fall).  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »

Full list below if interested ...........

Label 'D' Defective  This is a square red label, approx. 40mm square, with an embossed 'D'. Poles with a 'D' label must not be climbed and will be replaced.

Label 'SD' Shallow Depth  This is a square red label, approx. 40mm square, with an embossed 'SD'. These poles must not be climbed but may remain in service. Most SD have been removed and are now either D or C however some may still exist.

Label 'C' Shallow Climbable  This is a square green label, approx. 40mm square, with an embossed 'C'. These poles can be climbed provided ALL of the guidance for working on Shallow climbable poles is followed.

Label 'H' Hazard use platform  This is a square orange label, approx. 40mm square, with an embossed 'H'. These poles must not be climbed but can be worked on with a platform. No safe climb zone identified at time of test by pole tester.

Label 'S' Suspect  For DNO (ELECTRICITY COMPANY owned poles)
This is a square red label, approx. 40mm square, with an embossed 'S'. Please refer to Isis EPT/OHP/C031 section 8.11.1
FOR BT Owned Poles
These labels will be rare, however a BT owned pole with a red S label as described above must be treated as a D pole.

Label 'Z' Safe Climb Zone  This is a square green label, approx. 40mm square, with an embossed 'Z'. These are poles within a metre of a defined hazard where a safe climb zone has been identified at the time of testing by a pole tester.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »

Thank you for the "full list". Having only ever seen a few D labelled poles, I shall have to pay more attention when out and about.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »

Label 'C' Shallow Climbable  This is a square green label, approx. 40mm square, with an embossed 'C'. These poles can be climbed provided ALL of the guidance for working on Shallow climbable poles is followed.

To me that sounds like no fat engineers over 16 stone are aloud to climb the pole, so get your skinny 8 stone apprentice (no 2) to scale the pole  :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »

No problem, B*Cat.

NS .... it does seem like it's a salad-sport, ha ha. Luckily, I'm a trim 13.5 stone so can still participate in the game.  ;) ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:05 PM »

It was late afternoon, wet and windy, sometime in the mid 1960s before the GPO Telephone Service became Post Office Telephones. The drop wires back then were a pair of uninsulated cadmium copper wires supported on ceramic insulators via a "halo ring" at the pole top and on a bracket at the subscribers' premises.

Walking home, I turned the corner and as I drew close to the pole from which our service pair originated, a clattering rattle, clonk, bump was heard. Looking up the pole I saw that the DP cover (a circular cover with a central thumb screw) was hanging by its security chain and being blown about in the wind. The rain was, of course, now blowing into the DP. Hmm . . .

Once indoors and with fur still dripping, I picked up the telephone handset and upon hearing the dialling tone dialled ENG. Very promptly a male voice answered with one word -- "Engineers". I recounted my observation and quoted the DP number. The response was that he would come out that afternoon, attempt to dry out the exposed connections and refit the DP cover.

About 20 minutes later a small, bottle-green Morris minor van stopped beside the pole. The driver walked around the pole twice, just looking at it on the first circuit and then kicking it on the second circuit. Suitably satisfied, the ladder was put up -- using the rear wheel of the van as a stop for the foot of the ladder -- and wearing the leather security belt, the pole was climbed. About a yard of some absorbent cloth was pulled from the jacket pocket, the inside of the DP and the inner surface of its cover were dried (as well as the weather would allow) and the cover was securely refitted. Job done, ladder stowed on the van's roof-rack and away it chugged.

Fifty year on from the event -- I don't think that sort of instantaneous action would even be considered.  :-X

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 11:41:34 PM »

That's the way to go, none of this namby pamby european health & safety crap get up there get the job done in 15 minutes (with EUHS it would take 2 days) it saves the taxpayer a bucket load of cash and we are all happy, it's time to get out of the euro human rights courts it holding back the British economy   :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »

That's the way to go, none of this namby pamby european health & safety crap get up there get the job done in 15 minutes (with EUHS it would take 2 days) it saves the taxpayer a bucket load of cash and we are all happy, it's time to get out of the euro human rights courts it holding back the British economy   :(

:thumbs: 

I don't think Beattie India would have a clue if I tried to report such a situation via her!

Don't get me started . . . With great difficulty I finally found the way to report a door left open on a Huwaei equipped, "288 port" cabinet. Any acknowledgement or thank you? No. Of course not. (Come to think about it, I shouldn't have bothered and during the hours of darkness, perhaps I should have returned to the cabinet and "liberated" a Huawei SmartAX MA5603T MSAN!)

Just between the pair of us, I have a vague idea that the number 0800 321999 connects to Openreach's security office (but don't let-on that I told you).

Oops, we've hijacked this thread!  :-[

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:38:45 PM by burakkucat »

splbound

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »

Oops, we've hijacked this thread!  :-[

That's all good, its interesting stuff.

Just watching mountains being created on my snr graphs. I hope the works gets finished soon.
At least my upstream is back on fastpath.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »

To continue with the 'Kidnapped thread' theme .....  ;)

B*Cat, you comment, "I don't think that sort of instantaneous action would even be considered". Spot on mate, here's a mandatory instruction on the pre-climb checks. We also have to attach a small white label at the base of the pole, with our individual EIN, date and OUC <see brackets> should we be able to climb it. (Employee Identification Number and Operational Unit Code).  :)

Check for "D" & "SD" Marking.
Check for Hazards within 1 metre of the Pole.
Check for Obstructions.
Check the Depth of pole in the ground is not less than 1.2m i.e. 3M mark not more than 1.8m above the ground level for Metric or 1.83m for Imperial poles.
Check for Physical Damage such as scuffs & cuts.
Check for Ground Line Decay using the hammer test and the probe.
Check the Ground level of all Struts, Stays, Gallows Poles.
Check for Other Decay if apparent or suspect whilst climbing.
Check the Steps before putting your weight on them.
Check all Other Fittings.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything