Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky static IPv4 address now available  (Read 6238 times)

Sky static IPv4 address now available
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »

If you have a "Broadband Pro" account on Sky - AIUI that's either 80/20 FTTC or ADSL migrants from Be (not O2) - then the static IPv4 address option is now available to you (and now apparently works everywhere in the UK).

You click on MySky->Broadband Pro and then either select on or off in the options.

For some asinine reason Sky will not force a new session when you do this. What happens is that you lose all routing 1-2 hours later but as far as the router status pages are concerned the router appears fine. You will have to reboot the router to regain routing.

Sky do actually say this in an email but as they don't send out the email until AFTER you are assigned the static IP address this is of little use  ::)

You can't do anything interesting like rdns so its unlikely to be of much use other than connecting into your home network. Better than paying dynDNS right enough - the Sky routers only support dynDNS for anyone wondering.

There is no additional charge for the static IP address.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sky static IPv4 address now available
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »

Cheers for the info rizla.

AFAIK they have supposed to have been doing this for a while for BE/O2 customers, but Im not sure if they have things quite right yet..  or at least not last month.  The only reason I know is the guy who did my electrics was having a hell of a time trying to get his own router and a static IP working and he said sky were about as useless as a chocolate teapot.  this is the info for BE/o2 although it looks like its slightly changed now to include info about gaming mode.

TBH I didnt get involved as I'd got other things on my plate... plus his day job is a telecom guy who installs corporate telco & network systems nationwide so I guess he should know what he's doing.  Last time we spoke he'd given up and was migrating elsewhere.

Sounds like they may have sorted it now because I dont think he could do it himself from the CP and Sky staff were meant to be sorting it when they took over his old O2 account which had a static IP.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:49:25 AM »

I don't think its an automated system as it generates a ticket.

Also anyone deciding to use "gaming mode" on Sky ADSL is in for a shock as they stick you on a much lower speed profile so they can reduce error correction latency  ::)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »

I don't think its an automated system as it generates a ticket.

Also anyone deciding to use "gaming mode" on Sky ADSL is in for a shock as they stick you on a much lower speed profile so they can reduce error correction latency  ::)

Oh dear  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 01:59:17 PM »

Well it sort of depends on whether the CPE supports g.INP which Sky make extensive (if its an ISAM then its g.INP enabled) use of these days.

They trialled it in December 2012 and went live around Feb 2013.

If someone is trying to use an old Be/O2 router (or anything prior to Sagem 2504n on Sky) then its probably a case of a reduced speed so interleaving can be reduced.

Most gamers are (IME) clueless anyway & blame everything on ping times which are actually perfectly reasonable. Drastic latency changes (jitter) is the killer for twitch gaming and gamers doing "selfies" (twitch.tv) is usually the cause of that - or their P2P pr0n :P

NB - rizla does actually game online.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »

Most gamers are (IME) clueless anyway & blame everything on ping times which are actually perfectly reasonable. Drastic latency changes (jitter) is the killer for twitch gaming and gamers

So very true  ;D I could have 60ms ping or 25ms ping when gaming online and I won't notice any difference TBH I think it's all in the head, for example the gamer has 5ms pings and he's doing well in the game the gamer notices his pings have increased to 40ms this plays on his mind while playing a game and finds he's doing crap this time, its all in your head ! if the pings go above 150ms then you can blame in on the pings  ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:15:41 PM by NewtronStar »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »

Considering the fact that the average human reaction time is over 200 ms, and the lowest value scientifically recorded is about 100 ms, I would say you're right.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 01:20:14 AM »

Considering the fact that the average human reaction time is over 200 ms, and the lowest value scientifically recorded is about 100 ms, I would say you're right.

And if your pings are high then lay off the Alcohol while playing games as this will increase your reaction times and no need for low pings  :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 06:19:34 PM »

And if your pings are high then lay off the Alcohol while playing games as this will increase your reaction times and no need for low pings  :D

And the cat-mint!  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 12:25:12 AM »

For FPS type games  to a degree i would disagree,  to a degree being where in the world the server that you are connecting to is, And some with games the end user has no choice what so ever as the publisher supplies the only online server , one being Ubisoft , their server farm is in Montreal Canada and latency from the uk is high and fluctuates  a lot , So every ms counts in those sort of circumstances  as the peering used by most  of the big isp's is poor  +100ms, when 89ms is the norm or used to be
Again depending on your location in the uk  distance from ISP's data centre

anything