Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Possible source of RFI  (Read 2047 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Possible source of RFI
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:42:34 PM »

That's an interesting one. :)
  Eric

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »

So that's what's causing hash to come from my speakers...   ;D
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »

That's from maybe 8-10 years ago when magnetic ballasts were starting to be phased out for the so-called "digital" ballasts - which are basically just switched mode supplies. Magnetic ballasts rely on a big old laminated core so you start running into increased losses maybe 5 years into the lifespan.

The problem with the "digital ballasts" originated because they used to run at a few hundred kilohertz and the output cable wasn't shielded & given you're dealing with a highly inductive load then "stuff happens" :) That's what happens when things get designed by amateurs.

Having had a quick browse it appears things are less problematic now - technology seems more mature, plenty of 5 year+ warranties on ballasts.

A similar problem may be coming/has arrived in your area if your local council is dimming the streetlights because they're doing exactly the same thing. If the cable from ballast to lamp isn't shielded (terminated really) properly then it'll radiate quite a distance.

Edit - I think we've had a similar discussion on here before where I mentioned "digital ballasts" in the context of streetlights, or maybe that was elsewhere  :-\
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:56:22 PM by rizla »