Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Suspected line fault  (Read 14801 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Suspected line fault
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 02:37:59 AM »

pitty you dont have an image of the sausage closure  :D

One of these?  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 08:35:03 AM »

Do you work for us on the quiet, Mr Cat ??  ;) ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »

Meow! The in-built climbing-spikes come in useful . . .  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 11:53:54 PM »

looks to me either HR or bad NTE5.

Given 2 of this forum had bad confirmed nte5's I am surprised noone else has suggested it yet.

Swapping my NTE5 with one I got off ebay my US snrm fluctuations during calls stopped and my US also has no SES.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »

Gentlefolk,

I too have seen two NTE5s fail after thunder storms.
One was so bad that the modem couldn't "see" any VDSL signal yet the dial tone was still present.

Kind regards,
Walter

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 07:22:20 PM »

looks to me either HR or bad NTE5.

Given 2 of this forum had bad confirmed nte5's I am surprised noone else has suggested it yet.

Swapping my NTE5 with one I got off ebay my US snrm fluctuations during calls stopped and my US also has no SES.
But wouldn't that of shown up when he ran a PQT?
As it happens i do have a spare unused NTE5 But i need a Krone tool to fit it, the current NTE 5 is one of the older ones that have screws for the A & B pair to connect

ISP aren't wanting to get BTOR out again  to finish the job that the 1st engineer started working on , They saying that they can't justify up to £1000 in BTOR engineers visit charges (Based on 5 further visits) as an example , on a fault that isn't or is assumed not to be service affecting, I always thought that the CP didn't get charged if a fault was found on BT's side of things ?

I say  it's assumed that this fault isn't service affecting, only because using the phone doesn't cause the Modem to loose sync with the dslam in the cab, But DLM has intervened 3 times in the past 12mths , Could the underlying reason be down to the increase in CRC's And Error seconds when the phone is in use ?  if this is down to an accumulation  of errors over a set period of time  that has triggered DLM then i would argue that this interaction crossover between the PTSN & xDSL is already service affecting
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:49:05 PM by tommy45 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »

I always thought that the CP didn't get charged if a fault was found on BT's side of things ?

If a fault is found on the BT Openreach side then a bill will go out to your Service Provider from BT Openreach, you see your CP has a contract with Openreach for using there infrustucture.

It's one of the reason why your ISP will be reluctant to have and Openreach engineer visit for there customer  ::)   
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:58:59 PM by NewtronStar »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 08:16:04 PM »

I always thought that the CP didn't get charged if a fault was found on BT's side of things ?

If a fault is found on the BT Openreach side then a bill will go out to your Service Provider from BT Openreach, you see your CP has a contract with Openreach for using there infrustucture.

It's one of the reason why your ISP will be reluctant to have and Openreach engineer visit for there customer  ::)
Are you sure about that . AAISP would disagree with you http://www.revk.uk/2014/04/sfi2-is-optional-extra-service.html

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 08:36:41 PM »

Are you sure about that . AAISP would disagree with you http://www.revk.uk/2014/04/sfi2-is-optional-extra-service.html

Well you are the expert here you've had five engineer visits while I have never had an OR visit bar one to install Infinity 1, and before that had a BT (OR) visit my premises in 1986 it was something to do with phone it's self (hardware)  :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:43:46 PM by NewtronStar »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »

Well you are the expert here you've had five engineer visits while I have never had an OR visit bar one to install Infinity 1, and before that had a BT (OR) visit my premises in 1986 it was something to do with phone it's self (hardware)  :D
5 visits,? no only 1 visit so far for this line fault, and a fault was found, so no charges to ISP, The 5 visits was given as an example by the ISP and nothing more, basically they understandably don't want such a worst case scenario happening, and i want the fault with the line fixing  regardless if it's service affecting or not
Talking of engineer visits, I had 2 OR visits when i was with UKOnline  one SFI and the other was a fault with PTSN , dead line,
Over the years  i have had several voice faults due to engineers activity at the PCP  due to the accidental disconnecting one leg of the d'side pair,  and a humming/buzzing sound that although i was able to hear the engineer said he could not, maybe he suffered with selective deafness,? but they BT retail tried charging me £130 for the pleasure  of him reporting RWT non fault, which i disputed and won
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:02:31 PM by tommy45 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 09:12:46 PM »

Thats' what I don't understand Tommy45 why is your ISP telling you this ->

ISP aren't wanting to get BTOR out again  to finish the job that the 1st engineer started working on , They saying that they can't justify up to £1000 in BTOR engineers visit charges (Based on 5 further visits)

so whay ever your issue is, it's going to take 5 more Openreach Engineers to cure the fault that sounds like cowshit from your ISP  ;)

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »

Thats' what I don't understand Tommy45 why is your ISP telling you this ->

ISP aren't wanting to get BTOR out again  to finish the job that the 1st engineer started working on , They saying that they can't justify up to £1000 in BTOR engineers visit charges (Based on 5 further visits)

so whay ever your issue is, it's going to take 5 more Openreach Engineers to cure the fault that sounds like cowshit from your ISP  ;)
Well i don't think that they meant it would take 5 further engineer visits, more of if it where for some obsecure reason to take 5 more engineer visits, that they couldn't justify it,  for a non service affecting fault, where as if it was service affecting  then that maybe different, the 5 i think was just a random number used as an example as i did say earlier  they talking Hypothetically  looking at a worst case scenario, me thinks
I would think all is required is a visit from a conscientious competent senior engineer complete with the required tools and enough time ,to properly find/repair this fault So 1 more visit, But in reality unfortunately  it can be a bit hit and miss as to whether or not the engineer who gets sent to your home has all or any of those above or can be bothered to delve deeper in a bid to find the cause /s
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:14:39 PM by tommy45 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 10:50:38 PM »

Ok Tommy45 I'll be direct with you, The OR engineer fix'ed the problem it was and HR issue in the BT66 and from your own post after the fix ->

So more or less back to how it was when i started monitoring the connection , still a small degree of  PSTN /xDSL cross over interaction going on though

Yes I have this small amount of degree of PSTN/xDSL cross over interaction for over seven months but isn't service affecting as the phone works the broadband works close to estimated BT speed though I still get US CRC errors when the phones rings.

What is it you feel is missing ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 12:30:04 AM »

tommy just swap the nte5, if it doesnt fix the problem get back on to plusnet.

I confessed to the openreach CEO I had swapped the nte5 (breaching my t&c's), I recieved no punishment :) as they knew their engineers messed up by not swapping it out.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 06:07:56 PM »

I shall get me a cheap but decent krone tool from amazon , and give it a whirl nothing to loose.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4