Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Rollout query when crossing county boundaries.  (Read 1683 times)

biohead

• Reg Member
FTTC Rollout query when crossing county boundaries.
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:30:09 AM »

Hi guys, I've got a question for those of you in the know about these things...

Ever since I fled the nest and moved into my own place, I've been stuck with ADSL and missed the FTTC connection my parents had. My exchange is now planned for an FTTC rollout under the super fast Berkshire scheme... except where I live comes under Middlesex/Greater London so outside the remit of the Berkshire scheme?

For info, my exchange is Colnbrook, and I'm on cabinet 35. I would be under the impression that the village where I live would not be part of the rollout, but on friday there were three of the large Luton-style Openreach vans working around the access covers and two similar Kelly's vans just down the road - in a very very small village.

It just seems a little strange for there to be that many vans in the area where I wouldn't have expected there to be any work undertaken. Would anyone in the know be able to shed any light on the subject? Would they blow the fibre to the cabinet for future use (surely thats far too sensible to be the case)?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: FTTC Rollout query when crossing county boundaries.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »

Two very helpful sites to look at are:

OpenReach Where and When: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ which will tell you the status of the exchange you're connected to

and

Roadworks.org: http://roadworks.org/ which will tell you all about planned (and current) roadworks, with a potted description of what each one is about.
  Eric

biohead

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC Rollout query when crossing county boundaries.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »

Cheers Roseway. The superfast openreach site has had the Colnbrook exchange down as being FTTC enabled at some point in the future for a while now (its just been bumped another 3 months but I'm aware that's perfectly normal). I've been doing a bit of digging since I initially found out the exchange is getting FTTC and thats when I found out it's part of the Superfast Berkshire initiative. Even though I'm connected to the Colnbrook exchange, I live outside of that county's boundary. As this rollout isn't part of the BT 66% (It's BDUK funded from what I gather) I wasn't expected my PCP to be part of this due as surely "Superfast Berkshire" wouldn't be funding a rollout within Greater London - even though it is connected to the exchange?

Also, using http://fttc-check.alc.im/ my postcode (UB70EH) doesn't list the level of detail that PCPs have that lie closer to the change (for example SL30QF lists cabinet vendor, phase and status). So it was a bit of a surprise to see so many Openreach workers within a very small village - I can't see there being any other reason that amount of Openreach workers would otherwise be there.