Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Task Master  (Read 6732 times)

Shaft

Task Master
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »

In my Task Master there is a thingy :E_FAT19BE.EXE, it is as I have typed it in capital lettters, does anybody know what it is?, I have been told it is a virus.   I have just totally rebuilt my PC, New MoBo, CPU, HDD, Graphics Card, DVD/CD player and PSU,the only thing I brought from the original was My Documents via memory stick and the case.   So any virus, if any, must have come with my docs.    What do you guys/gals think?

Shaft

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Task Master
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:49:06 PM »

Shaft, I don't know what this file is, but I think you will find it hiding here  C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATI9

This is associated with your printer which, if I remember from your earlier post about that is an Epson SCX3600, and this process you see is either a genuine Epson job or a nasty posing as such.

What antimalware scans have you done.

Shaft

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »

Yes somebody else came up with this thought and thinking about it , it appeared when I installed the printer (I think!).   I have run AVG and it found nothing so I am thinking I will leave it alone.    Just made me wonder as it was in capitals.

Thanks Shaft

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »

Just had a wee look in the system32>spool>drivers folder at my own Epson drivers and, as you can see from the attached screenie, they are all in capitals.

I don't have the file that you have, but I have a different model of printer.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

[attachment deleted by admin]

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »

Hi, from the location described by tuftedduck, I suspect it will be the driver for your printer.
To confirm, this process scanner should identify it for you.
http://www.processlibrary.com/freetools/

exo

Shaft

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 07:29:31 PM »

Sorry I haven't got back before, been busy, had to uninstall my printer so when I reinstalled I watched and the E thingy returned so it must be part of Epsom.

Thanks folks, I think it is sorted now.

Cheers Shaft

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 10:33:50 AM »

Hi Shaft.

It would appear that your printer has (in the usual way of Epsons) insinuated its way into your start up progs, thus displaying itself as an ongoing process in the taskmanager.
If you don't want that, go into msconfig and kill it as a start up item.
Also, Epson may try to install its own wee icon in the systray, whether a start up item or not, and that icon will so up as a process in taskmanager. If you delve into the preferences within the printers maintainance tab, you can kill that icon as well.

anything