Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Large BT recruitment drive.  (Read 11546 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Large BT recruitment drive.
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »

Latest update as I know a few members on here have applied.

Last week, we announced that we needed to recruit 1,600 new Openreach engineers. Wondering how we got on? Well, amazingly, we received over 12,000 new CVs in the space of five days! A good number of those were family and friends that you think would love to work at Openreach. So I wanted to say a massive thank you for taking the time to get them to apply.
Now we’ve got so many candidates to consider, I want to be clear on how our process will work.  We have everything crossed that some of your friends and family will join us in Openreach – but obviously the numbers make the competition more fierce than ever. I therefore wanted to bring you up to speed on two ways we are working differently this year.
Firstly, in terms of getting CVs into our recruitment process. Before last week, we asked you to point applicants to one of our email addresses. While the volumes were relatively small we could manage those inboxes – although it’s fair to say we weren’t always very quick at responses. Now we need to automate our process, not only so we get those candidates into the process more quickly but also so that we can address your major gripe – that we don’t acknowledge people quickly enough or keep them briefed on where they are or what’s happening.
It would be really helpful if you could now point people who are interested to the BT PLC site to apply for one of our jobs instead of using one of the old inboxes. In return, we’ll commit that they’ll get an instant acknowledgement that we have their CV, and that within two weeks they’ll know whether they have made it past the sift process and will be invited to complete an online assessment. Applications already sent will be processed, but from now on please encourage folks to use the new site if they are applying.
Secondly, what happens once we have their CV? A number of you have asked why we now do an online assessment. Lots of you will have joined Openreach without taking one and it feels odd to you to have to do this when people don’t always need engineering experience to make a brilliant contribution to our teams. 
We know it’s a change – but it’s genuinely for good reason. We have to make sure that we recruit absolutely the best people into our business, to work alongside you all and deliver the excellent customer service we are striving for. So what we’ve introduced is an industry-standard online assessment consisting of a mechanical comprehension test and a questionnaire which lets us understand how much people are likely to enjoy working with our customers and on our network – something used by top companies and by other parts of BT Group. The assessment isn’t about how good or bad someone is, it’s about assessing their aptitude for the job and how they might relate to our customers, to you as part of your team and to Openreach. It has a scientific basis, as well as providing a good benchmark.
Not everyone will pass, and we know that will be a huge disappointment when you have recommended friends and family. But you can rest assured that everyone will be treated the same and those people that do pass will get the opportunity to showcase their abilities at an interview. And while we can’t guarantee a job, we will absolutely make sure everyone gets a fair crack.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Large BT recruitment drive.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »

:hmm:  So whose words are you quoting, above, Mr B*Sheep:-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »

Our CEO - Joe Garner. I am extremely busy at the minute and didn't have time to paragraph it, highlight stuff or reference it, I'm afraid.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »

Thanks for taking a moment to supply the missing details.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »

Love the bit where he say people don't need engineering experience to make a contribution to the team.
Good - then you won't in future be describing them as "engineers" will you?
'course you will........

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »

Funnily enough guys, that very comment has been mentioned more than once when I've been talking to decent OR engineers.  ;D ;D

TBH, our official title is 'Technician', not 'Engineer'. It is only a semi-skilled job and would appear to them above that a Butcher, Baker or Candlestick Maker could easily carry out this work ??  :no:

I despair.

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »

Interestingly refers to a two week notification of the sift outcome yet the email I received refers to a four week dwell time only if sucessful?
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »

Hmm... Fourteen days for a response, bang on the quoted time!  :)
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:34:24 PM »

Large recruitment drive? Wonder why :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 07:28:02 AM »

Recruitment Update

We wanted to share some brilliant news on our recruitment campaign. Thanks to your recommendations of family and friends you think would love to work for Openreach, and the publicity we've been doing about the roles available, we now have over 15,000 people undergoing our assessment process. We are busily assessing and interviewing them to see if we can recruit them in to the 1,600 roles we have available across the UK.
Of those roles, over 250 are either booked or already in training. And 50 new joiners are already out buddying on the park, getting ready to deliver our customer service ambitions. So we are really making some great progress towards bringing brilliant new members of our team on board.
We now believe that we have enough candidates in the pipeline to fill the first round of recruitment  – so we are no longer accepting new applications for those 1,600 roles.
If your loved ones have applied already, they will still go through the process. If they meet the criteria and there are jobs in their local area, we will get them to interview as soon as possible.  Any new applications will be put on hold while we evaluate our future recruitment needs. Our recruitment site will still let people express an interest in future roles, but we need to take some time before we can know if we have any remaining opportunities.
A massive thank you for all of your help in spreading the word about these vacancies. We have been overwhelmed by the response, and are working through the applicants as quickly as we possibly can.
Thank you for helping us recruit the next generation of engineers to help Build Britain’s Connected Future.

Joe McDavid
Director, HR

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »

Recruitment Update

We wanted to share some brilliant news on our recruitment campaign. Thanks to your recommendations of family and friends you think would love to work for Openreach, and the publicity we've been doing about the roles available, we now have over 15,000 people undergoing our assessment process. We are busily assessing and interviewing them to see if we can recruit them in to the 1,600 roles we have available across the UK.
Of those roles, over 250 are either booked or already in training. And 50 new joiners are already out buddying on the park, getting ready to deliver our customer service ambitions. So we are really making some great progress towards bringing brilliant new members of our team on board.
We now believe that we have enough candidates in the pipeline to fill the first round of recruitment  – so we are no longer accepting new applications for those 1,600 roles.
If your loved ones have applied already, they will still go through the process. If they meet the criteria and there are jobs in their local area, we will get them to interview as soon as possible.  Any new applications will be put on hold while we evaluate our future recruitment needs. Our recruitment site will still let people express an interest in future roles, but we need to take some time before we can know if we have any remaining opportunities.
A massive thank you for all of your help in spreading the word about these vacancies. We have been overwhelmed by the response, and are working through the applicants as quickly as we possibly can.
Thank you for helping us recruit the next generation of engineers to help Build Britain’s Connected Future.

Joe McDavid
Director, HR

Well I've been a joiner for over 47 years and I don't think I've ever been 'buddying on the park'  :hmm:  :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 08:09:43 PM »

Ha ha .......... I see what you did there.  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 02:08:46 AM »

12k applicants just from people who know existing BT staff? or that includes external applicants from adverts?

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »

Something needs doing fast - we now have Kelly/Quinn operating here on a daily basis. 5 years ago you might see one Quinn van a year, you see at least one a day now.

They're untrained morons & I've seen the mess they've made of the PCP which serves us. Its perfectly obvious that they have no clue whatsoever as to why wires are twisted so the xtalk in the PCP is ludicrously high. Vectoring only goes so far....

So get the new OR people recruited/trained & out there ASAP.

tyketkd

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »

Applied to Openreach, online assessments completed 6th June, heard nothing back. Friend in same town completed assessments 16th June got interview! He failed to answer some MR questions as ran out of time. Only difference on his application he gave the managers EIN who is conducting the interviews, whereas on mine I gave the EIN of a OR frames tech. I would have thought the 3 years I did with Hays at OR might have got me at least an interview?!
Pages: [1] 2

anything