Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: HH5a and HH5b firmware/general reliability comparison  (Read 20311 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: HH5a and HH5b firmware/general reliability comparison
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »

I managed to run the WLAN->LAN throughput test on my HH5B and I was shocked by how low the results are compared to my HH5A. 95 Mbps writing and 145 Mbps reading.

Jon555

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2015, 11:10:33 AM »

Thanks, that is most appreciated. I think I'm probably going to end up with the 5a and a modem now the 5b isn't looking super stable, as even for me the 5a clearly had more throughput. I do suspect it may vary with LAN port - when you go back to the A perhaps try port 3 if you have a sec? My main decision is probably if I hack the modem firmware on not, as I have no idea how the hacked firmware compares with BT's latest.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2015, 11:24:03 AM »

The main reason to hack the firmware is to monitor the line stats, unless you have a need to introduce some non-standard settings. At least you can tell your line is running at it's maximum performance rather than being in the dark. The hacked firmware seems as good as BT's latest, if not better.

So I will swap the LAN to port 3 but I doubt it will affect anything.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »

Just tried the LAN in port 3 on my HH5A and it looks just the same to me.

mjgr33n

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2015, 02:43:34 PM »

As per reply #30

Just use LAN test lite http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed1.html to a folder on your LAN

Laptop -> Wifi -> Router -> LAN -> Server -> Folder and use a 100 MB file

Here you go -

Code: [Select]
Laptop (Intel 7260 Wireless AC) - Netgear D7000 Router - Linksys Gigabit Switch - Server (Realtek Gigabit Port) - SanDisk SSD

Write Speed = 159.7977200 Mbps
 Read Speed = 218.3990080 Mbps

Laptop (Intel 7260 Wireless AC) - Neatgear WAC120 Wireless Access Point - Linksys Gigabit Switch - Server (Realtek Gigabit Port) - SanDisk SSD

Write Speed = 146.1096240 Mbps
 Read Speed = 369.6567600 Mbps

Laptop (Realtek Gigabit Port) - Linksys Gigabit Switch - Server (Realtek Gigabit Port) - SanDisk SSD

Write Speed = 339.4782720 Mbps
 Read Speed = 728.7316480 Mbps

Quite amazed at how fast my Business grade Access point is with no antennas vs the D7000 with 3 external antennas is, think the D7000 could do with some firmware tweaking to be honest. Still not bad for a dual band dual antenna crappy 7260 in a laptop job :P

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »

Yeah, your expensive D7000 router isn't as fast as my free HH5A  :lol:

mjgr33n

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »

Yeah, your expensive D7000 router isn't as fast as my free HH5A  :lol:

Gave it a reboot and changed the channel -

Laptop (Intel 7260 Wireless AC) - Netgear D7000 Router - Linksys Gigabit Switch - Server (Realtek Gigabit Port) - SanDisk SSD

Write Speed = 188.1749520 Mbps
 Read Speed = 315.0431360 Mbps

A bit better but still not what one would expect from speedy router.

However, the range is huge and it keeps it speed for quite a bit and besides I don't use the Wi-fi on it, it is for my family, who just use mobile phones, tablets and laptop with wireless N, the main reason I got it was for the LAN speed with my server and clients across gigabit network, my previous router D6400 was not cutting it and this has been much better. My requirements where for fast dual cpu inside and decent VDSL.

I have the WAC120 in my room which I also only use for mobile devices, my laptop only is used for hotels and work.

All gaming done on the LAN.

But yeah it is silly that the WAC120 beats the D7000 in Read speed with no antennas, WTF Netgear :P

However my laptop is good but that 7260 mini-pcie card is limited to x1 pcie and is only dual antenna and the internal antennas in it are not amazing, I gave my ASUS pcie card to a friend, I will see if I can get it back and do a better test but to be honest given the fact the read speed is less than the WAC120 I do not hold up much hope unless there is a firmware patch etc.

Maybe I need to try without implicit beam-forming on etc. But given it doesn't matter and only for my family not sure it is worth my time and effort lol :P

michtyme I think has the D7000 and ASUS pcie card, might have to see if he will test speed for us :)

mjgr33n

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »

And here is one where I changed the Wireless Region to Australia and then put it on Channel 149 and enabled Throughput enhancement on the Wireless Card -

Write Speed = 202.1156800 Mbps
 Read Speed = 378.4837680 Mbps

Bit more of an improvement again, but they definitely need some tweaking for the European range, but doubt my laptop can really get super fast speeds out of AC wireless.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2015, 06:29:30 PM »

I find the lower channels are faster e.g. 36. But that maybe due to a lack of interference from neighbours.

mjgr33n

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2015, 06:49:17 PM »

I find the lower channels are faster e.g. 36. But that maybe due to a lack of interference from neighbours.

I got training in the Wireless N days from Extricom, Israeli company that provides wireless for F1 motor racing etc. So I know a fair bit about wireless and the number of things that can effect it are crazy :P

But yeah it is very naughty to change your wireless region, but for a brief test it is fine, but you can boost your wireless output power by a factor of 4-8 times the power by changing it to Australia on some models, in UK we have some stringent restrictions and Netgear always seem to err on the side of caution on there Home routers, my Business grade WAC120 although has no external antennas is set to UK but the power is set to full for that region. I think it is purely power output, you can tell the laptop does not output loads of power cause the write speeds to the server  are so much lower than the read speeds and upping the power output of the router by changing to Australia increases the read speed for the laptop.

Simple and obvious really, but Wireless AC is not all it is cracked up to be unless you have the perfect set-up and you really need the ASUS or TP-Link PCIE cards with the 3 antennas for a proper test and it to be short range.

But you still better off either a) running cables for gigabit or above or b) using powerline adapters if you want more reliable speed.

I gave my friend an ASUS DSL-AC68U, I hated the VDSL on it but the Wireless was amazing on it, he loves it for that, he replaced his HH5a with it as he was having major issues with the wireless on the HH5 with his media servers not showing up over wireless when devices where on different bands etc and some other issues and speeds and now he has switched to the ASUS he is very happy.

Jon555

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »

Just tried the LAN in port 3 on my HH5A and it looks just the same to me.
Thanks for that, as some of the HH5a Ethernet ports are direct to the SoC and some not I did wonder if it mattered. I don't know which is which, but have seen some odd stuff in the Home Network page using ports 1 and 2. I asked for 3 simply as that's what I had used with the HH5a.

Jon555

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »

So I will swap the LAN to port 3 but I doubt it will affect anything.
I should have asked - do you have any other Ethernet devices connected, especially 100Mbps ones?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2015, 11:36:31 PM »

No
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything