Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Possible problem with HG612  (Read 3246 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Possible problem with HG612
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »

When compared to  the ECI modem, the  min latency shoots up to 100ms + using the HG612, where as  when using the eci it was around 40ms tops maxing the upstream out  with 6-10 threads to a FTP server,  does any one else see this with their HG612?

boost

• Reg Member
Re: Possible problem with HG612
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »

QoS disabled on the HG or perhaps a better processor in the ECI? There must be a reason the later HG appears to run cooler...!

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:29:35 AM »

Yeah the QOS option is disabled as far as i can tell, could be the on board cpu  that is responsible for the latency increases, seems very likely

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:39:20 AM »

Not seen it.. but obviously somethings working hard.
Im not sure how this would affect things.. but what about packet loss and delays from CRCs?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:30 AM »

Yeah the QOS option is disabled as far as i can tell, could be the on board cpu  that is responsible for the latency increases, seems very likely

I would personally re-enable the QoS unless you are prioritising traffic on another device? It would explain the latency jump on upstream rapage.

Interleaving/INP differences between the two modems and adjacent MSANs would be the other I guess? Not easy to find out though as I believe the ECI doesn't provide stats...?

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »

Well both modem and Dslam are Huawei currently Min latency is slightly higher , which i recall someone else talking about ,

As for interleaving it's off in both directions currently and was also off prior to me swapping  to the hg612
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:56:00 PM by tommy45 »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »

I'm better with vendor strings than names :D

Huawei = which vendor string?

What kinda numbers are we talking here too?

I've had an ECI modem connected to my dad's ECI cabinet all week and the latency has remained a solid 11ms with the occasional 10ms. This is no different to the SR102 it replaced. This is a 40/10 service btw. I will probably chuck the HG on it next week so see some stats now that I have a realistic baseline.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 12:30:10 AM »

HG612 3B modem, when compared to the ECI (2013)  If i try and fully utilize the upstream by using an FTP client  to upload 6 or more threads at the same time, the min/average latency shows a greater increase when using the HG612  when compared to the ECI , My baseline latency is 12-13ms  when connection is idle, 

ECI ftp  6 threads min /ave latency increases to 35-40ms

Huawei FTP 6 threads min/ave latency increase to 100-135ms

Both tests performed on the same PC using the same FTPclient to the same FTPserver

Interestingly you referred to temp of the HG612 running cooler than the ECI  i personally haven't observed much difference between the 2 , both seem to run cool

The min base latency  has only increased by 1-2ms  and it is more or less stable, through a 24hrs period,  downloading , gives the same/similar results  as the ECI a typical 1 ms increase, unless the it hits congestion  somewhere during  peak times