Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Low Sync Speeds During Day -IPProfile?  (Read 4291 times)

LeoDarkSide

• Just arrived
Low Sync Speeds During Day -IPProfile?
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:07:31 PM »

Hi there!

Just got my 2nd Netgear DG834 a few weeks ago and everything seems to be going well! However, on Friday night, my speed dropped down to 15k! I thought I might have a IP Profile error, but the speed went back to normal at 10pm that night!

Then the next day, it dropped down again! Then back up that night! I mean, I am a wee bit confused here! Oh, and my sync speed has not changed at all thoughout this! It still reads 7123 or somthing close to that!

Please help! Also, the ISP I am with is Demon!

Thanks!

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
Re: Low Sync Speeds During Day -IPProfile?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »

Hi Leo,

How many disconnections have you had? and how long has it been doing this?

It may be that your line has been intermittent and BT has slowed the line to compensate for the drops trying to make it stable. The other issue you may have is that your line is still training and as such the speeds will increase and decrease accordingly.

At this point you are best taking to Demon to have it sorted.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

LeoDarkSide

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

Disconnections? Um...none! I have a router and it stays on all the time. No record of it ever losing a connection as far as I know!

I would not know about the okne being intermittent. It really has been fine as far as I can tell. As I said, it is dire slow future the day, but from about 10pm till 9am, its normal!!

Training? Well, I have been with demon for the past few years. Why would the line ned to retrain?

Thanks for replying, and please post more help if you can! I would call demon, but I am not in the mindset to speak to an Indian call centre today!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 04:41:02 PM »

If your speed is normal for part of the day then it's not a problem with your physical connection. This sounds like traffic management or possibly congestion. Is it a general slowdown on everything, or are you talking about p2p transfers perhaps?
  Eric

LeoDarkSide

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »

Yeah! Everything!

Even P2P!

:(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »

Then I think you have to talk to Demon.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 11:20:34 PM »

Are you sure that its the IP profile thats changing?  The only way you can really tell if its that is by doing a btw performance test.
tbh if your router hasnt lost sync then it is unlikely to be the IP profile.  You can monitor your sync and connection by using routerstats.

Like eric I would tend to think its more likely to be either very bad exchange congestion or your ISP throttling. But from what you say , Its also worth checking with Demon to ensure that you havent exceeded their FUP in which case they may be slowing down your speeds during peak time periods. 

Demon throttle those users who have exceeded their FUP down to 128kb which would be about 15KB.  Peak time usage (day/eve) is when they do the heaviest throttling, therefore the fact that all seems well again at 10pm would to me suggest that you may have perhaps been "FUP"ed.

How much usage have you used over the past few weeks?
iirc depending which product youre on once you hit 40GB, then you start attracting attention. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:56:55 PM »

Incidentaly, if you want to monitor drop of sync live without having to watch your pc or router.

go to www.bbc.co.uk

click radio @ the top

pick a station                       (note you've now got some DAB stations in case you've never tried them before)

click on listen live.

if you have the relavent bits programed in your pc then you'll get a new window with buffering (if not then the bbc guide to get it working is pretty good)

you know have near live radio which you can listen to without watching your kit, if sync were to drop then the radio would drop out between 4-40 seconds approx after wards (because of the buffering

only problem here is sometimes the bbc sites can get swamped @ certain times & trip over regardless of any issues you might have. radio4 one o'clock news is a typical one

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »

I'm quite sure it's not anything to do with the IP profile. If it were, then actual download speeds would be reduced at all times of the day. As actual download speeds are still high for part of the day, then the IP profile must still be high. So it's not a problem with low speed resyncs.

Eric