Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT HomeHub 5 - Strange Superfast DSL connection  (Read 4011 times)

dougcuk

BT HomeHub 5 - Strange Superfast DSL connection
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:40:20 AM »

Can anyone explain how a "normal" BT DSL connection that has a 2.87km direct (3.5km by road) line distance from the exchange manages to record a 24mbps download / 6mbps upload connection (Speedtest.net) - with at least an 18mbps throughput downloading a 50MB test file (Testmy.net - European Server).

From my understanding of traditional DSL connections these figures do not make sense.     

This connection is customer of mine who has BT DSL Broadband (ADSL2+) and was having connection/stability issues.
BT investigated and did some unspecified work on his line and supplied a new BT Homehub v5

I was surprised how fast his downloads seemed - so I ran the above speedtests - but didn't get around to accessing the router stats to check the connection details (Sync speed, attenuation etc). At first I thought he must have been converted to Infinity - but the hub just has a normal BT DSL phone cable plugged into the DSL socket.

I have a connection to the same exchange (via TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+) which the Kitz Adsl-Checker shows as being much closer to the exchange - at 869 metres direct (2.3km by road) line length. My connection is in line with normal stats - I get a max of 18mbps download sync - with 21.5dB Attenuation and 6.5dB SNRM.

Is there some new type of DSL connection (hidden FTTC ?) being used by BT that could explain these odd stats?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT HomeHub 5 - Strange Superfast DSL connection
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:49:41 AM »

Aside from the downstream speeds for the length of the line defying the laws of physics, the 6Mbps upload speed is totally impossible on adsl1/adsl2+ so it has to be VDSL.

>> but the hub just has a normal BT DSL phone cable plugged into the DSL socket.

The HH5 is a combined adsl & vdsl modem router, so there would be no need for one of the BTOpenreach modems normally supplied with FTTC.  A HH5 on on a VDSL line would plug into DSL socket just like it would with ADSL.

>> Is there some new type of DSL connection (hidden FTTC ?) being used by BT that could explain these odd stats?

There's what BT calls 'Unlimited Faster Broadband' which is actually VDSL...  just that BT dont class the estimated speeds fast enough to call Infinity.  Both products are FTTC.

However it seems your customer gets faster speeds than that (Faster Broadband).   What does the BT FTTC checker say about his line?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dougcuk

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:20:19 AM »

OK that makes much more sense - he must have Infinity - but somehow he doesn't realise.
The laws of physics have been preserved - we are back in the real world!!

The FTTC Checker says - Telephone Number 020850533xx on Exchange WOODFORD is served by Cabinet 23
Which I assume confirms he has an active FTTC connection.

Update: (*** Just checked my own DSL connected line and it shows a "served by Cabinet 12" message - so this check doesn't confirm an active FTTC connection ***)

All he said was BT sent him a new router - which disabled his wifi printer - hence my visit.
His old Home Hub was one of the big white rectangular ones (v1.x ??) - pre FTTC I would think.

This was the first HH5 I have encountered - hence my confusion over the DSL socket and cable.
Does this mean he must have had a VDSL filtered socket installed by an onsite engineer?
Or can the HH5 be connected by the customer? 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:39:04 AM by dougcuk »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »

You're corrected in that the served by message doesn't indicate being fttc...  It just tells you which cab his phone line goes via.

The speeds indicated on the results though, should loosely tie up with what speeds he's getting.

There's currently several methods of vdsl installation, this will be decided by the ISP or EU.  One of these options is self install, where the EU uses traditional nte5a and filters.  I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if Bt retail are doing self install yet, I thought they were still mostly sending out either an BToR engineer (or contractor) to fit one of the vdsl faceplates.  It could be possible that bt retail have started doing self installs recently though as several other ISPs have been doing so.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Kronos_2001

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:44:02 AM »

On the HH5 you can see if it's a VDSL or ADSL connection on the Troubleshooting->Helpdesk page.  It shows in the name for the connection uptime.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if Bt retail are doing self install yet, I thought they were still mostly sending out either an BToR engineer (or contractor) to fit one of the vdsl faceplates.  It could be possible that bt retail have started doing self installs recently though as several other ISPs have been doing so.

According to this page, BT Infinity installation (maximum speed of up to 80Mb), Infinity 1 is meant to be self install.  However when I ordered my upgrade in early April the man on the 'phone said BT Retail were using engineer installs anyway.  Perhaps it is/was to "help optimise speeds".

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »

I think BT were one of the first to do self installs starting around January. But only on the up to 40mbps product. Up to 80 is still an engineer install.

Sounds like the OP was upgraded to FTTC when he reported the fault, but just doesn't realise  that's what happened.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D