Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats Programs for ADSL Connections  (Read 6853 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
HG612 Modem Stats Programs for ADSL Connections
« on: May 26, 2014, 09:43:05 AM »

This package of programs started off with compatibility for VDSL2 & ADSL connections.

However, as they were being developed, the main focus was for VDSL2 connections & compatibility with ADSL connections was 'parked'.

I may have a need for extended remote monitoring of a couple of poorly performing ADSL connections.

I have attempted to reinstate ADSL compatibility, but I would like to test the programs on a 'live' ADSL connection or two.

I would be most grateful if a couple of ADSL users would give the programs a try & provide feedback before I attempt to start any remote monitoring.

Please note:

At this stage, the programs are intended to work with only the Huawei HG6xx range of modems & the ZyXel VMG8324-B10A

I don't really expect the programs to work perfectly at the first attempt on a live ADSL connection, so anyone willing to try them out will require a little patience until they work reliably & accurately.

If there is any takeup for this testing exercise, I'll create another thread in the Router Monitoring Software section.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 Modem Stats Programs for ADSL Connections
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:02:09 PM »

Just download the standard version? Out is there an adsl version?
Ian

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »

Thanks for giving it a try, Ian.

I take it you mean v 2.1 from this link:-

http://www.freewarefiles.com/HG612-Modem-Stats_program_84567.html

There's just the one version that will (hopefully) work with ADSL connections.

If it doesn't work, please let me know what errors you see either on screen or in the logs & I'll get onto it straight away.

As an absolute minimum, it should generate a Plink log that will contain the relevant stats.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:32:33 AM »

OK
After a couple of false starts (Server 2012 standard), I had to use my domain login (MYDOMAIN/ian) to create the scheduled task.

I have attached a couple of screenies and uploaded a zip to skydrive http://1drv.ms/1oau1rf for you to look over, most things seem to working  :)

IAn

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I can see there's still a bit more work to do with my code for ADSL compatibility, but at least the basics are working.

Are you able to zip & post a Plink log for me to look at?
Once zipped, it should be small enough to include as a message attachment.

Also, the ONGOING_ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT in the Ongoing_Stats folder in your zip is zero bytes in size.

1) it shouldn't now be in that folder anyway, so I'll fix that
2) it should actually be in the Event & Error Logs folder - is it there? If so, it would be really helpful if you could zip it & post it/upload it somewhere.

If it's not there, I'll look into fixing it.

If you are happy to keep testing things whenever I update a program, I'll post the updates in this forum.

For curiosity (& to assist another user who wishes to remotely monitor an ADSL connection with my programs), how do you have the HG612 set up & physically connected at your end?

Looking at your screenshots, it 'appears' that you have it in bridge mode with an Asus router (similar to a VDSL2 setup).

I thought it could only be used on ADSL connections when used as a combined modem/router, issuing DHCP?

I don't fully understand how to use a HG612 on an ADSL connection & I don't have access to ADSL to test anything.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »

A plink log is attached.
I can see the ONGOING_ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT was created in the ongoing_stats folder when the scheduled task ran, but I had not updated the modem IP address (I deleted the contents of the error file), yes there is a ONGOING_ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT in the correct folder.

I will upload the error file at another time, as I have just deleted the entire hg612 stats folder and started again; the monitoring stopped after 14 hours, I am also having trouble enabling the monitoring again (two samples taken then stopping); ahhh just changed PC speed from the default (slow) to medium and that seems to have kicked off monitoring again.

UPDATE only 6 more samples taken??? error file attached.

My setup is the same as for vdsl connections

1) Unlock modem
2) LAN1 to WAN of router
3) LAN2 to LAN of router
4) set up modem as per http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/4328435-stand-alone-adsl-modem-up-to-date-recommendation.html

If you want to use the hg612 in modem mode the important settings are in the wan setup (Connection mode and bridge type), also ensure that DHCP is off.

I have just unlocked a spare hg612 I bought off ebay, when I have more time I will make sure that these are the correct steps.

IAn

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »

Could you try the attached HG612_stats.exe program?

(I would advise renaming the original version just in case you need to revert to it).

Some of the data was missing from modem_stats.log & some was in the wrong place.

I have made a few adjustments that should go some way to sorting that.

It also includes a couple of other tweaks that might help with the issue that caused the logging to cease.

Do you have any 'stuck' instances of HG612_stats.exe or HG612_current_stats.exe in Windows Task Manager?
If so, end their processes & logging should continue.

Assuming logging continues with the new version of HG612_stats.exe, could you upload your modem_stats.log again so that I can see what differences the adjustments have made?

Please make sure it includes at least some of the data from when you used the original version (for viewing before & after data purposes).

It is likely to be this evening before I'll get chance to have a look.

BTW, are you based in UK?

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:08:48 AM »

BE

Find attached modem_stats log with new (and old) HG612_stats.exe....just realised that there was indeed a stuck HG612_stats.exe.

BTW, are you based in UK?
Yep

Ian

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »

Thanks Ian.

We are getting there now.

The basic data now seems to be in the right places in modem _stats.log.

I just have to get the program to do one or two ADSL specific delta calculations (changes per data sample) & display the DS/US key in the graphs where it is missing.
It should then be completed (at least for G.DMT mode).
FYI, ADSL uses SuperFrames (SF) whereas VDSL2 uses OverHeadFrames (OHF).

I took out the row from 10:25, when you first started using the updated program, to get rid of a few huge spikes (shown because that was the first time some of the data was in the right places - i.e. using cumulative modem data).

The resulting montage is attached for the roughly 80 minutes worth of data in your file.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »

BE1
Great, that seems to work well....being a little pedantic :P.....The vertical axis of the dsl uptime graph is labeled "VDSL2 uptime".

Ian

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »

Thanks Ian,

Wherever I go there's always at least one pedant isn't there.
Thing is, it's usually me  :lol:

Seriously though, I probably wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't mentioned it  :)

I hope to spend a bit more time on tweaking the programs this evening.
Watch this space for updates.

Once it all seems to be working as intended, I wouldn't mind seeing some debugging & error logs as I've never seen any from an ADSL connection before.

I still have to add some more code for full compatibility with ADSL2, ADSL2+ & ADSL2+ with Annexe M connections yet.

Does your connection always default to G.DMT?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »

May I make a suggestion?  :-\

Use the generic xDSL label in place of an explicit label.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »

Does your connection always default to G.DMT?

Have a look at my exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SWRSO :( G.DMT only, rumour has it, it was one of the first digital exchanges in the country, part of a BT trial, but I have never seen any evidence of this.

IAn

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 12:26:08 AM »

I hope to spend a bit more time on tweaking the programs this evening.
Watch this space for updates.

I have attached updated versions of HG612_stats.exe & graphpd.exe for you to try out.

Again, because I'm unable to test things here, once you have collected a few hours worth of data from the updated HG612_stats.exe program, could you please zip & post a decent size chunk from your modem_stats.log along with the entire xlogfile.txt file from the same time for checking purposes?

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »

OK

Find attached 7hrs of modem stats, do the stats look OK any analysis?

Ian
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:57:44 PM by kitzuser87430 »
Pages: [1] 2