Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats Editor & GUI v2.1 released  (Read 17240 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: HG612 Modem Stats Editor & GUI v2.1 released
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 06:50:41 PM »

in my mind snapshot performance isnt important, its important it works however.

I run it once a day auto, and it will run if the line resyncs (rare).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »

hmmm  but the graphing runs several times per day in default mode? 
Bearing in mind Im also what would be classed as a fast PC, I think I would prefer to work with BE to see if we can get these settings right No?

Whilst atm there appears to be only you and me that have the fast PC problems, as time progresses and more people will be updating their PCs.. so I feel its important to get this right whilst BaldEagle is kindly willing to work on it.  Some people may not be so happy to see it tie up resources for as long as it does.

...  go on send him your logs...  they will help him to sort it this issue :)
Ive just looped during a snapshot period a short while ago..  unless we send the error logs, BE has no idea whats happening, or how best to fix it.

----------
ETA for BE's info

I've just noticed that DSLstats had crashed too - presumably that loop was what caused it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:00:40 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2014, 08:21:21 PM »

Did you two run Super Pi, it'll give a good idea of how your machines compare?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2014, 08:25:31 PM »

Actually Ronski I just downloaded it and was looking at it about to run it...  but atm I have a one of the progs running which I know can be a resource hog.   In fact just looking I have rather a lot open atm :(...  its one of the reasons why I went for the i7 cause my usage is weird.. at times the PC can be left unhindered, yet when Im working on something, a lot of those applications are hogs.

From what I can gather Chrys's should be faster on a single core, but mine faster when multi-tasking.

----
ETA

Just run it even though I do have other things running atm  result = 9.453s

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:51:45 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »

----------
ETA for BE's info

I've just noticed that DSLstats had crashed too - presumably that loop was what caused it.

Ahah. I suspected that may be the case as you started the test at 19:04:35.70 (just after DSLStats would have started sampling).

In fact, I've just asked you about it in the email I sent a minute or so ago.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »

Did you two run Super Pi, it'll give a good idea of how your machines compare?

Just for fun, I ran it at my end during a Malwarebytes full system scan that was using up to 20% CPU resource.

15.568 seconds for 1M decimal places.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 11:46:09 PM »

its one of the reasons why I went for the i7 cause my usage is weird.. at times the PC can be left unhindered, yet when Im working on something, a lot of those applications are hogs.

Look Kitz you could go for i20 if there was one it won't help the weird usage, most PC's I come across to fix these days have crap right up to the hilt and when I talk about crap it's those Internet Browser plugins and the silly start up programs (3rd party) that load in the background during bootup, Don't blame MS blame the user that's my motto  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 01:19:09 AM »

----------
ETA for BE's info

Ahah. I suspected that may be the case as you started the test at 19:04:35.70 (just after DSLStats would have started sampling).

In fact, I've just asked you about it in the email I sent a minute or so ago.

Yes as soon as I saw that dslstats had crashed and not been running I realised that was most likely the case and added the extra info.   Ive not downloaded my mail as Ive been distracted by other posts for the past few hours  ::) will do so now :)...  although tbh Im exhausted :paperbag: - which is when Im most likely to make mistakes.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »

My comments are based that I think its right to realise there be faster pcs than mine and also the software will be subject to variance sso for those reasons we shiouldnt aim to have the fast setting to run as fast as possible on my rig, I think needs to be headroom?

Also I havent been well lately, got some health issues flaring up, so in a lot of discomfort currently, hence lack of further testing.

My pc is clocked to 4.3ghz turbo, and 1600fsb ram.  These chips can be clocked to over 4.8 by some people and with higher spec ram as well.  Plus we factor in the graphs can be made on ssd and I have on a hdd.

Something else to report but as I said I cant do muich in terms of testing currently, the gui was left running for some days but earlier today it crashed out.

Code: [Select]
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: hg612 stats logging gui.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 2.1.5251.34440
  Problem Signature 03: 53790aa6
  Problem Signature 04: System
  Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.18408
  Problem Signature 06: 52311185
  Problem Signature 07: 3cb5
  Problem Signature 08: 8f
  Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »

Chrysalis, I've found some info relating to the error log, but it suggests the actual error happened in 'System' so I think it's beyond my capabilities to find the cause at the moment.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »

My comments are based that I think its right to realise there be faster pcs than mine and also the software will be subject to variance sso for those reasons we shiouldnt aim to have the fast setting to run as fast as possible on my rig, I think needs to be headroom?

With the SLOW PC setting, there are no restrictions/pauses & the programs run as fast as the PC can handle.

The FAST PC setting slows the programs down the most.

I agree there should be sufficient headroom & that's what I'm trying to determine (i.e. just how much/little is actually needed).

The versions that work just fine at your end were worst case scenario.
The aim was to try different variations until we found the absolute limit of reliability & then add back in an appropriate 'safety' margin before I release an update (v 2.11) rather than simply slow everything down unnecessarily for everyone.

You & Kitz appear to have the fastest PCs of anyone using my programs that subscribes to these forums.
Your joint feedback is essential as I can't actually get the programs to fail on my slower system.

Kitz has already conducted a lot of testing for me, firing the resulting logs over accordingly for which I extend my gratitude.

We now have a clear idea of what works 'best' on her system, but she is using a different CPU than you (not overclocked) & other factors may also come into play.

Also I havent been well lately, got some health issues flaring up, so in a lot of discomfort currently, hence lack of further testing.

I'm sorry to hear that & I understand that testing programs & sending logs might be the lowest priority for you at the moment.

My pc is clocked to 4.3ghz turbo, and 1600fsb ram.  These chips can be clocked to over 4.8 by some people and with higher spec ram as well.  Plus we factor in the graphs can be made on ssd and I have on a hdd.

Something else to report but as I said I cant do muich in terms of testing currently, the gui was left running for some days but earlier today it crashed out.

I'm sure Ronski will look into that aspect for you & when you are feeling a bit better he might also wish to see the same logs as I do as they may give him an indication as to the cause.

I'm aiming to post updated programs this evening, so again, (when you are feeling better) it would be most helpful if you could give them a go & post/email the relevant logs for me.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 11:37:56 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2014, 09:12:05 AM »

I have attached updated v 2.11 beta test versions of HG612_stats.exe & HG612_current_stats.exe.

From testing so far, it does appear that these versions now manage things 'better' for faster PCs without too much of a program running time penalty.

Subject to any feedback received (relevant comments along with extracts from CURRENT_ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT and ONGOING_ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT), I may be be able to make further speed improvements without compromising program reliability.

The most relevant tests would be to try the various PC Speed settings (SLOW, MEDIUM, FAST) firstly with Extra debugging info logging switched ON & then again with it switched OFF.

In 'normal' & unattended everyday use, Extra debugging info logging will not be needed.
However, for testing purposes, it does need to be switched between ON & OFF to get a full picture of what is happening & whether further improvements can/need to be made.

I have also made some slight improvements to the graphing programs, but those are not relevant for these tests, so I haven't attached them.

@ Ronski:-

As this thread started off for discussions regarding your GUI, would you prefer that any further discussions regarding the data harvesting/logging programs themselves were moved to a different thread?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:17:59 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »

Hi BE1,  it probably would be better to split the thread please.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »

Okey Dokey,

Please note:-

As this particular topic is intended for discussions regarding Ronski's GUI, any further discussions regarding the stats harvesting & graphing programs should be continued starting here:-

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13974.msg263365#msg263365

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »

Hi

I am using my own scheduled task to run the hg612run.exe, and have selected "Use my own task".

I then cannot click on the buttons "Ongoing stats" and "SnapShot stats", or I can click on them but they do not switch the stats on.

I have edited the HG612_stats.ini file to enable monitoring.

Ian
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything