Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do I make a back-up ?.  (Read 3556 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Do I make a back-up ?.
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »

Before I start changing things shall i make a back-up ?.
Playing with .
Ubuntu 7.10  and PC Linux 2007.

How and what do I need to back-up ?,The whole system and/or file/folder I'm working on ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Do I make a back-up ?.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »

I suppose that it depends on what you're changing and how important your data is. I only back up personal data (basically the contents of my home directory), taking the view that if disaster occurs I can always reinstall the OS from scratch.

Actually you would have to try really hard to destroy your data by configuring things. Short of reformatting your hard disk, or suffering a hardware failure, there's not much you could do which would make your data inaccessible. Even if you were to do something which stopped your system from booting, the data would still be on the hard disk, and you could easily recover it by using the original live CD.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Do I make a back-up ?.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:57:50 PM »

Because I made a right mess of Ubuntu last year and lost all my new programs I had installed and I had to reinstall it again.
What I have started to do is to make a new folder and put in a copy of the file I want to work on and if it goes badly wrong I have a good copy of that file I can reload back again. :)

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.