Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Two interesting articles on Infinity  (Read 3310 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Two interesting articles on Infinity
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »

Firstly a thought: "will BT Infinity go on for ever? ;D

ASA rap BT over infinity checker  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6451-asa-tells-bt-off-over-infinity-checker-results.html

and claim by BT on fibre prgress

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6454-bt-claims-two-thirds-of-uk-premises-passed-by-fibre-based-service.html

Apologies if brought up before.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Two interesting articles on Infinity
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »

Love these little side-swipes.

Who or what would you hedge your bets on ?? A FTSE 100 company that has to have open public accounting, ergo, what is said HAS to be fact ………. or some BB Forum that likes to try and undermine large corps ??

Did they put a man on the moon ?? Is it made of cheese ??  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »

TBH if we had the perfect BroadBand then there would be no need for monitoring the stats no need for techicnal Broadband forums the BB nerds would need to find another hobby and I think we all like a bit of inconsistency from time to time on our Broadband line it keeps us on are toes  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »

Well spoken.  ;) ;D ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:53:21 AM »

Speed reading and not read it all

So why has the ASA come down like a tonne of bricks on BT over its availability checker, well one simple complaint where someone claimed that the download speeds for their line were misleading and whether they could be substantiated

Oh Groan..... so whats going to happen next.
BT will just lower the estimated speeds which in fact will mean those that can get more, will have less chance of faults being rectified, because speeds will still be in acceptable parameters.   
So I guess we all have to suffer because some numpties have internal wiring that is in one hell of a mess and have oodles of interference from broken electronics (exaggeration yeah... but its not always BTs fault)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:53:50 AM »

TBH if we had the perfect BroadBand then there would be no need for monitoring the stats no need for techicnal Broadband forums the BB nerds would need to find another hobby and I think we all like a bit of inconsistency from time to time on our Broadband line it keeps us on are toes  ;)

How true  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »

How true  :lol:

Unfortunately we may need a bit of uncertainty but not everyone wants it.  ( Of course if it was perfect there would be the the bigger problems of what we want it for !?)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »

Surely, there is no way to guarantee an estimate. Anyone who thinks there is a way is either bonkers or does not understand the English language.

I'm not sure that any lowering of estimates would solve problems.

Could estimates soon take this form? " From statistics gathered from many sources, we guess that for lines of a similar distance from the.......... on the service requested will be around.........maximum, or less. This does not take account of peculiarity either of the line to you premises, or matters within". ::) :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »

Again, more well spoken, common-sensical postings above. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.  :)