Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats - not gathering stats  (Read 12626 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: HG612 Modem Stats - not gathering stats
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »

@Kitz

Do you mean task manager (which seems to be the windows tool to monitor/kill applications & processes) or task scheduler?

Oops I did mean task scheduler..   :-[  I linked to a guide where I showed how to manually amend the HG612 Stats Program from within Task Scheduler.

Task Scheduler -  Manual changes to Windows Task Scheduler can be done via

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Administrative Tools

Click the "Task Scheduler Library" folder (not Local) and look for "HG612 Stats Program"
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »

With running the HG612_stats.exe manually, I get a perfectly good result. It runs through the 38 steps (why not 39?)

I might add a dummy 39th step just for you.
I wonder if any of the younger readers know what we're on about ???

, and creates the two expected logfiles in Ongoing_Stats, alongside an ERROR logfile with a line showing "reply(config.Shell) O.K. Status = 1. "

That ERROR file is the wrong one.
That line should end up in the file of the same name, but in the Event & Error Logs folder.

I had forgotten to direct that information to the correct file in the 'new' logs folder  :-[

That shouldn't have caused a problem though & I have fixed it now that you have alerted me to it.

I then get to see the data in the two tabs of the GUI tool.

Running it a second time adds a line to the modem_stats.log file

So the problem seems to be that HG612_Run never actually starts HG612_stats, or at least doesn't do so in a way that works, or gets included in the windows task manager.

Do you actually have HG612_Run.exe in the Scripts folder?

I have attached a definitely working copy just in case it's missing/corrupted.

What happens if you double-click HG612_Run.exe directly from the Scripts folder?

You shouldn't see anything on screen, but it should run HG612_stats.exe silently, with the various log files updated accordingly.

One thing that MIGHT cause the task not to run is how it was set up via the GUI.

If you chose not to enter a password, but you actually use one when logging in to Windows, the task would have been set up, but probably not to run.

See the attached screenshot of the Task Scheduler's 'General' tab - from my own Windows 7 machine.
I need to enter a username & password when logging in to Windows, but the task was created with the Run whether user is logged on or not option already selected.

It might be handy if you could post a copy of your HG612_stats.ini file for us to have a close look - just in case..........

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:46:23 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 12:13:34 AM »

I know you have mentioned that you don't have an AV program running, but do you have a firewall running (ZoneAlarm etc.) that might be blocking HG612_Run.exe, but not blocking HG612_stats.exe?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 12:19:02 AM »

Just tried double-clicking on HG612_Run, and that works fine. Windows first asks me to confirm that it is allowed to run, immediately followed by checking that HG612_stats is allowed to run.

I'll double-check options tomorrow, to see if it is something to do with this interactive check, the login, or the firewall.

Ta

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 12:31:42 AM »

May be a UAC setting?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

See the attached for the setting on my own Windows 7 machine.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »

Just tried double-clicking on HG612_Run, and that works fine. Windows first asks me to confirm that it is allowed to run, immediately followed by checking that HG612_stats is allowed to run.

I'll double-check options tomorrow, to see if it is something to do with this interactive check, the login, or the firewall.

Ta

Has manually running & allowing those programs now permanently triggered it all into 24/7 action?

If so, that will be useful information to note for any new users who might experience a similar issue.

It may even be required whenever one of those programs is updated (for *some* users).

My AV program (AVG) used to occasionally do that when I updated one or other of the programs, something to do with AVG's identity protection checks.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »

Ta

I believe you should now find it will run ok, although when it asks you is there an option to remember your choice?

I seem to remember having something similar on my works pc, had to run the current stats,  and HG612 stats manually and ok them,  don't recollect a problem with HG612 run though. We do use AVG at work so it may have been that rather than windows.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »

My UAC setting matched yours, BE.

Manually triggering the program did not cause it to spring into action - it only runs when I trigger it manually, and continues to not run otherwise.

However, I have got it to trigger, somewhat...

I deleted the task, and re-created it with no password whatsoever. In that guise, HG612_Run seems to execute. It then triggers HG612_stats, which triggers a pop-up confirmation because the publisher could not be identified. I've left this manual for now, and will get back to see what happens later (I'm not sure how to undo my choice, once I tell it to no longer ask me).

(Obviously without changing the manual pop-up, I can't logout and check that logging works - failure could then be caused by password or by pop-up.)

When I delete the task, and re-schedule it with my normal password, the problem returns.

Any ideas?

I think I should try setting either HG612_Run or HG612_stats so that it no longer asks for permission to execute. Any preferences for which I should set first?

(Also, I do notice one thing: When I give HG612_stats permission to run (ie scheduled without password), I get 3 beeps on the audio, about 3 seconds later. Is this to be expected?)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »

I think I should try setting either HG612_Run or HG612_stats so that it no longer asks for permission to execute. Any preferences for which I should set first?

Both need permission to execute.
I can't imagine it will make any difference which one gopes first, but in order of program flow, HG612_Run is first & Hg612_stats is second.

You might need to stop any logging attempts/delete the task again first.

This isn't a problem that I'm familiar with.
Does this link give any clues:-

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/124367-open-file-security-warning-unblock-file.html

(Also, I do notice one thing: When I give HG612_stats permission to run (ie scheduled without password), I get 3 beeps on the audio, about 3 seconds later. Is this to be expected?)

The HG612's raw logging in data includes a bell/beep character that isn't displayed via Telnet access.

Depending on the debugging / event logging options selected, the program will sometimes display that character & thus you can hear it.

When HG612_stats.exe is running 'silently' (via HG612_Run.exe or directly via the 'appropriate' Task Scheduler settings), we don't see it & we also don't hear it.

For my own curiosity, once you have told Windows to no longer ask you whether to run the programs or not, why would you wish to undo your choice?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »

For my own curiosity, once you have told Windows to no longer ask you whether to run the programs or not, why would you wish to undo your choice?
Long term, I won't want to.

However, to work out the cause of this issue, I should probably try things out with the different combinations of permission, so we can work out what the real cause is, and warn other in future. To do that, I need to be able to give permission to one, but not the other, and then undo my choice to swap over.

"completeness" is probably the answer.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »

Perhaps one way to do it is to create a system restore point, then do your testing and then restore.

Any chance of a screen shoot of what pops up - just use the snipping tool?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 07:13:26 PM »

Bald eagle, if I upgrade to this version does it have all the fixes you made for me included?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »

Bald eagle, if I upgrade to this version does it have all the fixes you made for me included?

Yes, it should include them, plus a few other 'improvements'.

It was actually your feedback/issues that prompted some of the changes.
Thanks for flagging them up for me.

v 2.1 final public release is due this week, including RONSKI's updated GUI that enables the new options, such as choosing a FAST PC setting to slow the programs down to the speed that the modem can actually provide the stats (clearly needed for your super-duper speed PC).

Unless the programs actually crash & end up 'stuck' (they shouldn't as I've included more/better handling code), there will be no more leftover ONGOING_ISRUNNING files either.
The events that caused those will now be included in a new log file to keep a record.

An updated ini file is needed to make the most of the new options.
A template with default settings will be included in v 2.1 or using the updated GUI will create one.

The attached screenshot shows that my PC's speed has been set to SLOW as that works best with my setup.

The MEDIUM PC Speed setting might work O.K. for your setup, but I reckon the FAST PC Speed setting is possibly the most appropriate setting to use as the best compromise between speed & reliability.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »

v 2.1 final public release is due this week, including RONSKI's updated GUI that enables the new options, such as choosing a FAST PC setting to slow the programs down to the speed that the modem can actually provide the stats.

The new version is up on Freeware files now as I've just uploaded it, BE1 you have email if you've not yet seen it yet. I'm sure BE1 will create a new thread for V2.1 shortly  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:14:09 PM by Ronski »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »

sounds good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything