Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats - not gathering stats  (Read 12623 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
HG612 Modem Stats - not gathering stats
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »

I thought it was well nigh on time that I should try running the newer version of ModemStats, and turn on the automatic logging. For a long time now, I've just relied on the old version, and irregular manual snapshots.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to gather any stats, and displays nothing in the "Connection Stats" or "pbParams" tabs.

- Ronski's stats viewer is running fine, and lets me create a scheduled task
- I have turned on the "ongoing stats" task, with the "snapshot" task off
- Once I create the scheduled task, but before anything runs, the "display task info" page shows a "last result" of "1"
- At the next minute, a "HG612_Run.exe" process appears in the windows task manager. It doesn't disappear, and the "last result" shows as "267009"
- At the next minute, the "last result" changes to -2147216609. The results stay this way forever more, even though the last run time increments.

If I delete the scheduled task, the HG612_Run process continues to run. If I create the task again, then the first execution (ie the next minute) jumps straight to the last step of the list above.

If I manually end the HG612_Run process, the sequence starts at the second-last step.

As far as I can make out, 267009 = 0x41301, and means "The task is currently running."
-2147216609 = 0x8004131F (in 32 bits), which means "An instance of this task is already running."

I guess that means the first instance never runs to completion, and is stuck somewhere. Subsequent executions then fail to even start.

Any ideas where to look next?

Manually hitting the "Run snapshot stats" button does work.
And this is on Windows 7.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 Modem Stats - not gathering stats
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »

Hi WWW & welcome to the forum.

I take it by newer version you mean 2.0?

I will be releasing v 2.1 in the very, very near future, subject to the results of a couple of final tests.

v 2.1 includes a bit more in the way of error handling, now hopefully closing the ongoing data harvesting program (HG612_stats.exe) rather than it end up 'stuck' in an unending loop.

I don't know whether you use a fast or a slow PC, but the program now has a user selectable option to accommodate fast PCs as 'sometimes' the PC attempts to harvest data before the modem can actually provide it.

You are welcome to try the v 2.1 pre-release beta versions, which no matter how hard I have tried, can't get them to fail or end up 'stuck' at my end.

If you do wish to try them out, let me know & I'll post them here.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »

Yes - the switch was to start using v2.0.

It is running on pretty modern hardware that I'd rate as "fairly fast" but not outlandish - an AMD A8-5600k at 3.6GHz, with 4 cores. The windows experience rates the processor & memory at 7.3 and 7.2. Is that enough to require a "fast" rating for the stats?

Should I expect HG612_Run to terminate at all? Does it trigger HG612_stats?

I can certainly give v2.1 a go, and see what happens...

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »

And thanks for the welcome. It probably is about time I registered here too...

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »

Yes - the switch was to start using v2.0.

It is running on pretty modern hardware that I'd rate as "fairly fast" but not outlandish - an AMD A8-5600k at 3.6GHz, with 4 cores. The windows experience rates the processor & memory at 7.3 and 7.2. Is that enough to require a "fast" rating for the stats?

It's possibly fast enough to need some intervention.

I class my PC as 'reasonable' spec - Intel core i3U at 3.2 GHz

Its ratings are processor 7.0, memory 5.5 (3.00 GB RAM).

My system does NOT need any speed intervention, but some systems apparently do.

The PC speed setting is a very, very recent addition, so it's slightly experimental at the moment.

Should I expect HG612_Run to terminate at all? Does it trigger HG612_stats?

HG612_Run should indeed terminate (as should HG612_stats) & yes, it is simply the trigger to run HG612_stats 'silently' in the background.
There are other ways of doing it, but using HG612_Run as the trigger appears to work for all flavours of Windows, XP upward.

I can certainly give v2.1 a go, and see what happens...

O.K. I'll post the beta programs shortly, with a very brief guide on what the various ini file settings do.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:52:54 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »

Here are the data harvesting/graphing beta programs.

See my next post for the GUI & its new settings.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »

Here's the GUI program.

Please note that it is very new & still needs a very minor tweak here & there, but it does work.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »

See the attached screenshots for the 'new' settings.

Ignore the fact that the task is disabled as this is from my testing version.

Different modems can now be selected, to include the new addition of the ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A.
The default is HG612.

Extensive error & extra debugging logging can be turned OFF to reduce file sizes, but I would advise leaving them ON for a while for testing/debugging purposes.

The location of the ongoing modem_stats.log can now be specified.
The default is still whatever was originally specified as the Ongoing stats folder.

ONGOING_ISRUNNING files are now 'always' deleted (unless the program crashes).
A record of these is mantained in a separate log whenever 2 task instances attempt to start during the same minute.
(This is a Windows bug. There is a Microsoft hotfix for it, but the program now handles it 'properly', so there is no real need to install the hotfix).

The vast majority of the event/error logs are now grouped in a folder named Event & Error Logs to make it 'easier' to find them.
That folder is not user selectable as it is always a sub-folder of the main folder.

HTH, but if not, please feel free to ask.

EDIT:

I run the programs with a SLOW PC Speed setting here, but you can choose MEDIUM or FAST if your PC is 'too' fast for the modem.

Please let me know how you get on with these programs, in case I need to make any final adjustments prior to final release.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:31:45 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »

A quick reply, as I have to play taxi driver shortly...

The PC is still showing the same symptoms, and do so with both fast & medium settings (didn't try slow yet).
No error files anywhere obvious, but I'll check more carefully later.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:22:47 PM »

If I delete the scheduled task, the HG612_Run process continues to run.

How did you delete the scheduled task? via the gui or via windows?

When I updated to v2 I deleted the scheduled task from within windows task manager rather than the GUI..
I actually started everything fresh aside from transfering across my Ongoing_stats & Current_stats folders.

Basically everything I did when upgrading is in the step by step guide here, only Id first removed the task as detailed at the bottom of the page.

Hiyas btw.. theres a name I recognise from elsewhere ;)   Nice to see you here :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »

Hi WWWombat, nice to see you on the forums.

Sorry to hear your having problems, only thing I can think of at the moment is that it's possible your anti virus is blocking the programs from running, so would be worth checking there.

The other thing which could shed some light on the problem is running HG612_stats.exe directly from a cmd prompt, this allows you to see whats happening. But if there are no logs at all then it suggests the programs not being run for some reason.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 10:53:36 PM »

It might just be worth renaming/deleting the existing modem_stats.log & allowing the program to create a new one from scratch.

you could always run HG612_stats.exe directly.
By doing that you should see the output from the program that might give a clue as to how far it gets.

Alternatively, from a command prompt, from within the Scripts folder you could direct the output to a file for easier viewing by typing this:-

HG612_stats.exe > HG612_stats.TXT

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 07:26:12 PM »

@Kitz

Do you mean task manager (which seems to be the windows tool to monitor/kill applications & processes) or task scheduler?

When I create & delete the task, in the normal course of things, it is with the GUI tool. I can see the task in the Windows task scheduler, where I have turned on logging to watch the results there, but I don't do any manipulation there.

However, I'm not sure what happened when I first started V2; if I ever ran the task on this PC it was a long, long time ago. When I did use it, I'm sure it was a different PC, and it had problems in making the PC unusable so I stopped it. As I didn't think I needed to do anything to stop an old V1 task, I did nothing... but come to think of it, the first time I looked at the task manager (the one that lets you kill processes), I have a feeling that there were two HG612_Run.exe processes that needed killing.

How can I check that I haven't left something lying around?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 07:42:50 PM »

@Ronski & @BE

There's no AV running on here at the moment.

I already renamed the old modem_stats.log file, as the old format wasn't liked by the GUI tool; my main tests were carried out with an empty Ongoing_Stats folder.

With running the HG612_stats.exe manually, I get a perfectly good result. It runs through the 38 steps (why not 39?), and creates the two expected logfiles in Ongoing_Stats, alongside an ERROR logfile with a line showing "reply(config.Shell) O.K. Status = 1. " I then get to see the data in the two tabs of the GUI tool.

Running it a second time adds a line to the modem_stats.log file

So the problem seems to be that HG612_Run never actually starts HG612_stats, or at least doesn't do so in a way that works, or gets included in the windows task manager.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 07:56:53 PM »

The stats logging is only triggered by a scheduled task, so to see if anything is left laying around have a look through the scheduled tasks in task scheduler.

Try manually editing the scheduled task via task scheduler so that it runs HG612 stats.exe directly.

I have a vague idea someone else had a problem with the Run program.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything