Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: RFI identified but whats the cure?  (Read 43047 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: RFI identified but whats the cure?
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2014, 11:57:39 PM »

we have identified why the BT80 RF3 unit did not work for me, and the reason is I connected the wires to terminals wrongly there are three screw in terminal A wire, Earth and B wire it looks like I connected A wire and used Earth (B) so thats why telephone worked and the reason why the HG612 would not sync.

Full apologies to Blacksheep and Burakkucat for my mistake, I hope in time you will forgive me for my silly outburst on the Kitz forum :-[
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:32:58 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2014, 01:08:38 AM »

"Outburst"?  ???

I didn't notice one -- silly or otherwise -- and I suspect the same goes for Black Sheep:)

Coincidently I have just posted some details and a photograph to a new thread, titled Connecting a BT80B-RF3.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »

Installed the BT80B RF3 45 minutes ago and it's working fine, and I am using the correct terminals this time, Just thought as I am banded for a while I'll get this fitted and start collecting some stats.

At the moment stats have not changed due to Banding, all I can say is the attenuation has increased by a minuscule amount of 0.2 (SSFP MkII 0.1 + RF3 0.1 = 0.2)  ;)

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »

Any idea how long it will take for banding to be relaxed?
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2014, 10:04:21 PM »

Any idea how long it will take for banding to be relaxed?

It normally takes upto 14 days depending on how bad the errors were, sometimes 4-5 if its just small burst of errors, I would avoid any FTTC Modem power downs during this period or you just keep setting back the time before banding is relaxed by the DLM.

So for me it will be the 30th of May  :(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:07:12 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »

Installed the BT80B RF3 45 minutes ago and it's working fine,

Purrfect.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2014, 12:50:02 AM »

Purrfect.  :)

Cheers BC

I'll give you sneak preview into SNR and Tones it looks a mess at the moment as it's early days things should improve over time me hopes  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2014, 02:59:16 AM »

The one graph that could be revealing is the QLN, created from the data collected at synchronisation time.  :-\

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »

The one graph that could be revealing is the QLN, created from the data collected at synchronisation time.  :-\

OK i'll upload the Hlog, a new Sync came in this morning at 05:55 due to having to turn off HG612 yesterday to install RF3 unit, the DLM has started to relax my line stats somewhat.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »

So a lot of us are suffering from this issue to differing degrees, and it doesn't seem like much can be done to filter it from the signal. Would it not be more effective to try and find a way of preventing it getting into the signal/line in the first place?

Discussed to death many, many, many times .... LL.  :)

It's all down to the bottom line of the accountants sheet. We're pumping frequencies down cables that were lain decades ago, that simply were not designed to carry them.
Of course, FTTP is the ultimate answer, but it is NOT going to happen overnight.

I can't be bothered trying to reference it, but I read some years ago about some Oz scientist who managed to pump some astounding DSL speeds over bog-standard twisted copper pairs. He had basically eliminated all noise, but in laboratory conditions.

The problem we have as human beings is the fact we are needy and greedy. Just over a decade ago we could only expect 0.5Meg speeds, and today we can get 80Meg ....... but we still feel the need to get more. nothing wrong with that, it just won't happen right here ... right now like some would like it to be.

It still amazes me even now, when I attend a task and the EU has months of historical DSL stats and has collated information to say he should have 0.3 Meg more DS speed and his 'Ping' has risen by 2mS. I often think to myself, if you'd spent more time cleaning the disgusting pig-sty of a house, or got off your arse and got a job, then you might not be as obsessed with this ridiculous request you have got me to site for !!!
The difference wouldn't make any difference, when they are browsing .... if you follow my drift ?? :)

you visited me then ;)

just kidding.  0.3meg sync obviously is a lot if the sync is only 0.4meg, but if its say 60meg, then 0.3 as you say is nothing, so its a % game, and I wouldnt call an engineer for 2ms latency.

However one of the engineers who visited me I let him use the toilet, and after he left I was a bit embarrased as my bathroom needed cleaning and was a mess, so I did spend time to clean it up after he left.  Rest of mny house isnt exactly spick and span either, so your comment is amusing as I wonder how often engineers visit a place and have to keep their mouth shut out of politeness when its a tip.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »

Just had a large thunderstorm that lasted 1 hours so unfortunately the 2 RF units where not able to subdue the effect of static discharges, it was fun to see the errors climbing during this event the CRC errors went wild.  :o

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:04:47 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »

Is it going to be another year where half the country is having storms but my area is bone dry?

I would love a storm, the heat and stuffyness here is unbearable, pure sun, no wind not even a breeze.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »

to test lines I had a a pair of test leads with an nte5 and a DSL face plate so I could plug my test modem in. As for REIN we had to fit an RF3 as a knee jerk attept to cure the problem & had an rf3 in the NTE back box connected by an 8 pole DT switch. so I could test with and without the rf3 (testing without totally isolated the RF3 so it wasnt even Teed off)

So I could always test with and without an rf3 at the flick of a switch on any task. I have got to say that the number of times it made any difference was very rare. just a couple of percent at a guess.

What I'm trying to sum up is that with DSL faults, its very easy to get transfixed by one possibility to cause an issue where the problem lies elsewhere or a couple of other places.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »

Is it going to be another year where half the country is having storms but my area is bone dry?

I would love a storm, the heat and stuffyness here is unbearable, pure sun, no wind not even a breeze.

be careful on what you wish for Chry, I am on my 15th year collecting weather stats and it's telling me this may be a wet & humid summer in the middle to north of the UK and the south will be hotter than Ibiza then in the end of July you will have flash floods and strong winds.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2014, 07:51:10 PM »

What I'm trying to sum up is that with DSL faults, its very easy to get transfixed by one possibility to cause an issue where the problem lies elsewhere or a couple of other places.

Yes Ezzer I do have the beginning of an HR fault, but I am doing all this to stop the BT Openreach engineer running around in circles to cure the problem, I am 100% sure it's not down to crosstalk and it looks like RFI may not be the cause but it's in the early stage of investication.

I have two other things to try and it will cause me inconvenience and that is to bypass the FTTC Data socket and setup the HG612 at the Master Socket the other is to ring up BT and ask for an engineer to visit my home.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

anything