Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: RFI identified but whats the cure?  (Read 43048 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: RFI identified but whats the cure?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »

Horizontal has been scientifically proved to minimise CRC errors.   ;)

As you say, it is quite small - just be sure not to trap any wires when screwing the lid on.

Thanks 4Candles for the  :D it's just the BT logo on the case will be pointing towards the ground  when in Horiz mode ::)

Cheers

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »

I know this a odd question these RF2 and RF3 filters are designed to filter RFI at the NTE5 and before the NTE5, so lets say the RFI is being picked up from the Data Socket cable (FTTC extension) then neither of those filters will make any difference in that case.

So do you think it would be a good idea to have the RF3 filter placed just before the Data Extension Socket for users with this kind of setup ?

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »

O.K. So the RF3 is now fitted.

Here is a before and after  ???

Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »

The RF filters were originaly intended to filter out unwanted electrical inteference which is audible with normal voice telephony. Radio stations, taxi radios, offshore marine transmissions along with whoops,crackles and whistles generated by a local source causing an annoyance when trying to tell the person at the other end of the line, No you're not interested in double glazing. hence they are fitted before the NTE.
Otherwise in the case of DSl, the router is the only appliance connected (normal voice aside) so it could make sense it fiting an RF just before the routers socket.

And as Blacksheep stated, the innards of an RF3 can fit in the back box of an NTE5 (as long as its not a NTE5 elite, you can barely fit anything behind one of those, including a drop wire)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 09:31:39 PM »

O.K. So the RF3 is now fitted.

Here is a before and after  ???

Oh dear it looks worse  :( at tone 1710
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:33:46 PM by NewtronStar »

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 09:37:54 PM »

To be honest I suspect there may be other issues at hand now.

On initial install my line was synching at 45/11 (max attainable).
Over the next couple of weeks that dropped as more folk joined the cabinet ending up at 38/9.
Unfortunately on Friday the synch dropped and I am now at 30/7,
We are subject to Kelly Comms guys here for install and wonder if they have "broken" something whilst adding another customer.

Any suggestions?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »

To be honest I suspect there may be other issues at hand now.

On initial install my line was synching at 45/11 (max attainable).
Over the next couple of weeks that dropped as more folk joined the cabinet ending up at 38/9.
Unfortunately on Friday the synch dropped and I am now at 30/7,
We are subject to Kelly Comms guys here for install and wonder if they have "broken" something whilst adding another customer.

Any suggestions?

Well that's why you need to have a steady line before installing these filters to see if it does make any difference, now you don't know if it was the installation of the RF3 or a line fault that is causing this issue.

Sorry Semmy if you installed the RF3 as a fix for a line fault then you wasted time and money  :o
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:56:35 PM by NewtronStar »

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »

It's O.K. I was trying the RF3 filter to try and minimise the RF interference I had identified earlier in the post (the triple spike between tone 200 - 300).
Unfortunately the RF3 has had no impact upon this, though I am giving it a little time to settle before making a specific decision.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 10:06:08 PM »

It's O.K. I was trying the RF3 filter to try and minimise the RF interference I had identified earlier in the post (the triple spike between tone 200 - 300).
Unfortunately the RF3 has had no impact upon this, though I am giving it a little time to settle before making a specific decision.

No worrys semmy it looks like I have also wasted £3.99 on RF3 it's not installed and may no be after seeing your graphs  :(

and TBH I think BT OpenReach install these RFI filters as a placebo effect on customers making them think their RFI has gone  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:12:39 PM by NewtronStar »

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 10:30:42 PM »

I suspect it may work as the principal is correct but only for a limited value.

When faced with the rather large scale interference I have on those tones I think almost any filtering solution would struggle.

I may have to resort to wrapping my drop wire in silver foil after all  :P

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »

At my previous property there was an underground feed to the house, then a long route through the loft to the NTE5A.

As the line was moderately impacted from the BBC transmitting site (Burghead - LW & MW) about 21 miles away, I tried wrapping the loft cable with Bacofoil *, and even earthed it.

Effect?  Zero.   :no:

* Other cooking foils are available.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 11:20:53 PM »

At my previous property there was an underground feed to the house, then a long route through the loft to the NTE5A.

As the line was moderately impacted from the BBC transmitting site (Burghead - LW & MW) about 21 miles away, I tried wrapping the loft cable with Bacofoil *, and even earthed it.

Effect?  Zero.   :no:

* Other cooking foils are available.

there is a cure for RFI, it comes in a pack (plastic explosives,and manual detonater the wireless detonater is extra) place 1lb at each corner of Mast and enjoy, for safety reasons make sure your 700 yards away from any falling debri.

Its only a Joke don't try this at home  ;)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 12:03:47 AM »

As the rfi's are a passive device, they cannot dissern between what is unwanted noise and the dsl signal they are supposed to let pass. There in lies the problem. The RF2 was around before DSl so it filters out a lot of the DSL signal. If i remember when I tried testing one in an exchange it added about 40 something db loss to the signal. or will allow sync for up to 2.7km of line on 0.5mm copper.

The RF3 tried to cut out a lot of noise but allows the DSL frequencies through. (the rf2 filter is similar or identical to the one on the bell wire on the newer filtered face plates so filtering out the bell wire noise greatly just as 2 of them, one on each leg does in an RF2)

If the noise thats causing you a problem is a different harmonic to the dsl frequencies then the rf3 will help. If its the same harmonic then there's no difference. From your results your situation is the latter

Incidentaly with harmonics, thats why for REIN a radio is tuned to 612 KHz dispite the key frequency being half that, just a radio that works in the same frequency is difficult to obtain.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 12:06:52 AM »

Just a quick comment.

On the occasion of fitting an RF3, if one intends to produce before and after graphs then most relevant ones would be those for QLN and not SNR . . .  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »

Just a quick comment.

On the occasion of fitting an RF3, if one intends to produce before and after graphs then most relevant ones would be those for QLN and not SNR . . .  ;)

Ooops, here we go!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8