Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: RFI identified but whats the cure?  (Read 43022 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: RFI identified but whats the cure?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »

The BT80-RF3 (block terminal 80, RF3) is identical in size and shape to the standard BT80 (block terminal 80). So if there is a pre-existing BT80 in the circuit, joining the incoming service feed cable

Unfortunately I dont have a BT80 installed in the front porch as the PVC door smashed the casing 20 odd years ago and did a diy job using a round block terminal, so if I am right I just need to purchase a BT80-RF3 (block terminal) and remove this 20 year old DIY job and install and connect the incoming terminal A & B to the block and reconnect terminals for the NTE5 feed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:22:28 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »

Correct ……… or as per my previous post.  :)

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »

So a lot of us are suffering from this issue to differing degrees, and it doesn't seem like much can be done to filter it from the signal. Would it not be more effective to try and find a way of preventing it getting into the signal/line in the first place?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »

So a lot of us are suffering from this issue to differing degrees, and it doesn't seem like much can be done to filter it from the signal. Would it not be more effective to try and find a way of preventing it getting into the signal/line in the first place?

As that could be read as a rhetorical question, I shall just pose my own, as an addendum . . .

Would it be even more effective not to use a technology that makes use of radio frequencies which are licensed for other purposes?  :D

[b*cat now has a mental image of Walter preparing to post a missive on the benefits of deploying symmetric FTTP . . .  ;)  ]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »

:) it's purchased and on it way to RFI land its a GENUINE BT 80B RF3 JUNCTION BOX WITH RFI PROTECTION FOR USE WITH ADSL CABLING no mention of VDSL  :o

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »

Discussed to death many, many, many times .... LL.  :)

It's all down to the bottom line of the accountants sheet. We're pumping frequencies down cables that were lain decades ago, that simply were not designed to carry them.
Of course, FTTP is the ultimate answer, but it is NOT going to happen overnight.

I can't be bothered trying to reference it, but I read some years ago about some Oz scientist who managed to pump some astounding DSL speeds over bog-standard twisted copper pairs. He had basically eliminated all noise, but in laboratory conditions.

The problem we have as human beings is the fact we are needy and greedy. Just over a decade ago we could only expect 0.5Meg speeds, and today we can get 80Meg ....... but we still feel the need to get more. nothing wrong with that, it just won't happen right here ... right now like some would like it to be.

It still amazes me even now, when I attend a task and the EU has months of historical DSL stats and has collated information to say he should have 0.3 Meg more DS speed and his 'Ping' has risen by 2mS. I often think to myself, if you'd spent more time cleaning the disgusting pig-sty of a house, or got off your arse and got a job, then you might not be as obsessed with this ridiculous request you have got me to site for !!!
The difference wouldn't make any difference, when they are browsing .... if you follow my drift ?? :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »

:) it's purchased and on it way to RFI land its a GENUINE BT 80B RF3 JUNCTION BOX WITH RFI PROTECTION FOR USE WITH ADSL CABLING no mention of VDSL  :o

JGO and B*Cat are the gentlemen you require for the low-down on the tech spec, NS. All I know is it is best used in conjunction with the SSFP to eliminate as much 'Noise' as possible.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 09:09:57 PM »

JGO and B*Cat are the gentlemen you require for the low-down on the tech spec, NS. All I know is it is best used in conjunction with the SSFP to eliminate as much 'Noise' as possible.

No worrys Black Sheep have the MKII SSFP at the ready, so once BT80b RF3 arrives it a power down on the HG612 and power off the router and remove adsl cable from HG612.

Install BT80 and connect wires then replace MKI SSFP with MKII SSFP at the NTE5 master socket reboot modem and reboot HG612 and connect ADSL cable to HG612 jobs done  ;D
that would cost you £150 from BT but the DIY only costs £3.99 for the part  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:13:27 PM by NewtronStar »

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 10:26:43 PM »

Just for giggles here are a couple of graphs of my connection  ???

It is really easy to identify the three radio frequecies  in tone 200 - 325.

Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 10:56:09 PM »

Assuming that it is one of the genuine articles, as supplied to Openreach, then there will be no problem. Such devices are regularly fitted (by sheep with fleeces of various hues) to all types of xDSL circuits every day.

I'm sure that the description you have quoted, above, is just a marketing advertisement. Looking at that well-known, on-line auction site I see this item. If that is what you have ordered, then it will be fine.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 10:58:12 PM »

It is really easy to identify the three radio frequecies  in tone 200 - 325.

Agreed. The are rather prominent.  :(

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »

I have to admit that one of the guys at work who considers himself a bit of a wit suggested wrapping the overhead line in tin-foil......
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »

I have to admit that one of the guys at work who considers himself a bit of a wit suggested wrapping the overhead line in tin-foil......

funny, but would probably work.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 05:52:13 PM »

Received the BT80B RF3 to-day and it's very small no bigger than a match box this is going to require a large magnifying glass and two large Beers to steady the hands.

Not sure to mount this vertically or horizontally, if Horiz then A & B wires can come in from right and on to the screw connectors and NTE5 wires can enter from the left to IDC connectors.

Have any of you any tips  ;D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »

Horizontal has been scientifically proved to minimise CRC errors.   ;)

As you say, it is quite small - just be sure not to trap any wires when screwing the lid on.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8