Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 66

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A Firmware  (Read 524533 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A Firmware
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »

My 8924 on 8b2 has been up for just over 5 days now and the past 25 hours of that has been running on its own without the HG612. So far no reboots or re-syncs (other than those required to get it up without the HG612). My stats are up on mydslstats for folks to see. I am getting about the same level of CRCs as with the HG612 but still on fastpath with no problems. I have allowed it to sync slightly faster than with the HG612 64999kbps down, the HG612 ran at 59995kbps. So for me 8b2 is OK.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2015, 06:31:47 PM »

Even worse, the MDWS server was failing to pick up anything incoming. I tried running the MDWS web page locally on it which should not be any problem - and it went to www.mydslwebstats.co.uk - but showing the ZyXel logon page :o

I found it difficult to forward port 80 with this router. When I tried, a popup message said because I had forwarded port 80 it was changing the router GUI to port 8080. That never happened, the GUI remained on port 80 and, like you found, any attempt to access my web server resulted in the routers login screen.
I briefely tried changing ther GUI to 8080 but failed to get things working properly so I took the easy way out and translated inbound port 8080 to port 80 on my web server (the GUI remaining on port 80) and that works ok.  I guess that's not a suitable solution for your web server though.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »

Just tried again to forward to port 80, it does work :)

First I changed the GUI from port 80 to 8080.
You do this in Maintenance > Remote MGMT > change HTTP form 80 to 8080
Now access the GUI on 192.168.1.1:8080

Then Network settings > NAT >
WAN Interface: VDSL
Trigger start port: 80
End port: 80
Translation start port: 80
Translation end port: 80
Server IP address: your server LAN IP
Protocol: TCP
** IMPORTANT** place a tick in "Active" this is what I missed before.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:45:45 PM by npr »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2015, 07:18:32 PM »

Just tried again to forward to port 80, it does work :)

First I changed the GUI from port 80 to 8080.
You do this in Maintenance > Remote MGMT > change HTTP form 80 to 8080
Now access the GUI on 192.168.1.1:8080

Then Network settings > NAT >
WAN Interface: VDSL
Trigger start port: 80
End port: 80
Translation start port: 80
Translation end port: 80
Server IP address: your server IP
Protocol: TCP
** IMPORTANT** place a tick in "Active" this is what I missed before.

Okay thanks for that, it's outside my network knowledge/experience so wouldn't have thought of it! But that's what forums are for, sharing knowledge between us in different fields of expertise :cool:

I'll give it a go in the next day or two
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »

I had a similar problem when I set mine up relating to port 80, but alas can't remember the detail  :no:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »

Hi

I also got the message about the port changing, but it didn't appear to change under the management page.  I could still access the routers admin page on port 80 fine internally, it might just make the change for connections from the WAN.

There is another way to add to a web server, under NAT go to Applications, Add new application, select the WAN interface required, then the internal server IP address to forward to, for Application Category select Servers, and under Application Forwarded select Web Server and OK.

This sets up ports 80 and 443, of course you may not need port 443 forwarded but it's done all the same and does no harm.

There are quite a few applications than can be added if required, I've also added PPTP.

A tip, if there is any chance you are going to change from using VDSL on the router to the it's WAN Ethernet or vice versa, then set up another Application for the Web server from the alternative port.  That way if swapping it will still work without needing any config changes.

I've noticed under Port Forwarding they have the label "Trigger Start Port:", this is wrong, and initially got me confused thinking it was Port Triggering and not forwarding I was setting up, it should of course say "Translation Start Port:".

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:27:59 AM by PhilipD »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2015, 07:44:13 AM »

Another thing is that you check my original post on this, of the five other terminals here, only one could access port 80 normally - the others just came back with browser timeouts despite the cards and the browsers (auto LAN config) all being set up the same way (I had a look to check).

So just changing the forwarding to the web server may not be the answer?  All my LAN equipment has fixed IP addresses. So might each one need port forwarding setting up to its internal IP  :hmm:

As a matter of interest, why is it so different to the Technicolor HG582n, shouldn't it just work out the box for what would be the default mode of operation for most people?
Tony
My Books!

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »

Hi

All internal machines should be able to get to http://192.1681.1 (or which ever is the router address) using port 80 fine, even if forwarding is set up to host a web server.

The forwarding only happens on packets arriving outside the local network. This rule has no effect on internal packets.

The ZyXEL may have only changed the port to 8080 for external traffic for outside, so going to http://192.1681.1 (which defaults to port 80) should be unaffected.  On my network this the case even after having the warning.

If the ZyXEL has changed internal and external ports to 8080 for itself, then going to http://192.168.1.1:8080 will work internally, but in my case it hasn't done this.

Do you host a web server, is that why you've opened port 80?

Regards

Phil

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2015, 10:53:32 AM »

Hi

All internal machines should be able to get to http://192.1681.1 (or which ever is the router address) using port 80 fine, even if forwarding is set up to host a web server.

The forwarding only happens on packets arriving outside the local network. This rule has no effect on internal packets.

The ZyXEL may have only changed the port to 8080 for external traffic for outside, so going to http://192.1681.1 (which defaults to port 80) should be unaffected.  On my network this the case even after having the warning.

If the ZyXEL has changed internal and external ports to 8080 for itself, then going to http://192.168.1.1:8080 will work internally, but in my case it hasn't done this.

Do you host a web server, is that why you've opened port 80?

Regards

Phil

Yes, MyDSLWebStats is hosted here - check the earlier posts here in the thread. The ZyXel is on 192.168.1.254 (see earlier posts again) as that's  what everything expects as a gateway and that's what the current TG582n router is on. There is no port forwarding currently (that I set up anyway).

I think it might be easier to just sell the Xyxel if anyone wants one.... :(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:15:56 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »

As a matter of interest, why is it so different to the Technicolor HG582n, shouldn't it just work out the box for what would be the default mode of operation for most people?

The TG582n was specifically designed for the home user and a lot of the BCM based commands arent available.  Thomson have their own CLI which also locks out the Busybox commands and have been known in the past to deliberately stop access to certain BCM commands.  The target SNR is an example of this, but in the past they also locked out some of the more basic commands which actually stopped you from being able to get full line stats. They have templates which ISPs can use for ISP specific set ups and are only sold to ISPs for shipment out to EU's. 

The Zyxels are a different beast and one of the things that I do like is they havent locked out anything.  Instead they have developed the web GUI to include direct commands that are usually only found in business grade modems. Unlike the TG582n, it was designed to target small business users.   

One of the things I said in my review of the VMG8324 was that the GUI could be confusing for novice users because it is so feature rich particularly coming in at the price that it does. Some of the type of config options are normally only seen in business grade routers... or in others you'd have to use telnet CLI.

I'm only guessing here but Im assuming they have attempted to perhaps base the web gui on their high end (and more expensive) products and make use of the full capabilities of the underlying hardware.   But it seems that theres still bugs that need to be ironed out
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2015, 11:34:07 AM »

Thanks Kitz. I am just on the way out but I did use your excellent guide to set it up to the letter I may give it one more try after any other suggestions but I have a feeling it'll be a waste of time for some reason due to the setup here...
Tony
My Books!

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2015, 10:11:31 AM »

Well I gave the VMG8324 another go, and reconfigured it from scratch along with the port forwarding  - and it synched okay straight away  :D   So I guess the original config was astray...

The upside is that I gained 2Mbps downstream to 36684. Downside is I lost 1Mbps Upstream down to 4458 from 5506 - which is annoying as I upload a lot of large files  :( A year ago my upload was in excess of 15Mbps (and d/l 56Mbps) ... Had yet another disturber yesterday after spotting an OR van about 5 doors way. But that just lost me 1dB of SNRM on D/S only (again).

So see how this setup goes.

It's also fixed another problem that has plagued me for some weeks and that is corruption of downloaded images no matter what browser or terminal I'm using. But that's another story I'll post separately....

Thanks for the help getting there to all  ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:53:28 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »

Well done, for trying again.
I wondered why you had such difficulties. Hope things are stable now.

Send from LG G3 via Tapatalk (Typos & bad formatting are free)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »

Hi

Found another bug in the UI, under Home network and UPnP, a list of current mappings are displayed.  I needed to move some left over mappings that were conflicting with a manual port-forward so clicked the 'Clear' button on the entry to remove, it posted back, the page refreshed and the entry was still there.  Tried in IE and Chrome.  The entries are not cleared no matter how many times you try.

Will raise it with ZyXEL.

Regards

Phil

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2015, 12:57:20 PM »

Hi

Had a response from ZyXEL regarding some firmware issues.

1) Shared MBM memory error, something they seemed to know about and they sent me a firmware with a fix.  This firmware is still called version 7, dated mid January, but it is different to the version 7s we've seen before (different hashes).  They really need to be clearer with Version numbers for anyone to stand a chance of knowing what they are running.  The UK website still has the original broken version 7 firmware which seems pretty poor.

2) I was told the beta 8v2 did not pass their qualifications and shouldn't be used, but as no other firmware allowed me to run for more than half a day without crashing, and this version has been up for 10 days now, I'll stick with what works :)

3) Regarding the DoS blocking pings at very low quantities, so much so Firebrick type line monitors are blocked with DoS enabled, they've agreed it isn't ideal but they have no better solution for this router.  Seems rather odd they can't change it.

They also told me to reassure me on their continued support that two manages (Account manager and Service manager) of theirs in the UK are using this router from home, and both are homeworkers.  Presumably they had access to the special fixed version 7 firmware so never suffered the shared MDM memory issue that caused me to send one back  ::)

I'm quite happy with it now its stable, still a few issues here and there, but seems happy enough and Wi-Fi with AC and a one box solution is great.

Regards

Phil
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 66