Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 66

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A Firmware  (Read 525822 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A Firmware
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »

Ive contacted them via telephone last month...  but Ive just sent off a repeat request to increase the telnet sessions by email.
The contact details I used are here

http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/support/contact_support.shtml

Code: [Select]
General Support
Email:
support@zyxel.co.uk

Phone:
UK: 0845 122 0301
Ireland: 01-902 2620

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »

I wish they would do away with the what looks like a 'half finished' GUI and adopt something simple like Billion use.
I've gone back to 6b1 and whilst not perfect it's probably the best so far.

I must admit my first impression was that the GUI was half finished purely due to the fact that they pull some information such as that xDSL statistics in an i-frame.    But actually now I really like the fact that it does this, purely because it does provide so much info and its probably the easiest way of obtaining all the information which could normally only be provided by telnet.     If someone wants the basics then it can be obtained elsewhere on the general status pages etc.

I acknowledge that the web GUI can be overwhelming... but now that I have got used to it I wouldnt like them to go back to something simple..  I now love the fact that everything is configurable and can be accessed direct from the webGUI.    Perhaps they need 2 options for the webGUI :

~   A simple version for those that just want to see the basics
 ~   A advanced option for those who do like all the features -  Its not often that you see a router in this price range with the extensive configurations that is offered by the VMG8324 and now that I am used to it...  Id hate to see it go.

I now theres been f/w bugs etc along the way, but for me..  this really is the favourite of all my routers that Ive ever purchased. 
Add in the fact that its now the only router whereby I can obtain a full 80/20 sync and its rock steady for my line.. then Im well happy.
If Zyxel would just be more pro-active with the firmware then Id have no complaints at all.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »

I wonder if Simons problem could somehow have something to do with the max 1 telnet sessions that they introduced a couple of versions ago in 6b2
iirc Simon also uses DSLstats/HG612modemstats.   

The only reason I rolled back is that I found that for the first time I found that I was getting errors in dslstats and eventually the interface would lock up.  irrc ronski also encountered this same issue at the same time.  Since I rolled back to 6b1 I havent had a problem with the GUI & telnet lockups.

Ive already contacted Zyxel & put in a request to Zyxel that they increase the max telnet sessions but afaik theyve not done anything about it.

Perhaps more people need to contact Zyxel requesting more telnet sessions?

I wish they would do away with what looks like a 'half finished' GUI and adopt something simple like Billion use, I'm sure it would speed it up no end.

Yes I use DSLStats occasionally so I've gone back to 6b1 and whilst not perfect it's probably the best so far.

simon didnt you buy a billion and was happy with it? if so how have you ended up on the zyxel?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »

I did indeed however about 3 weeks ago the Billion started loosing big chunks of 'Attainable Rate' and of course 'Actual Data Rate'. I went from 67/22 down to 50/22 in steps for no obvious reason.

With the Zyxel back in place my attainable rate is almost 63/22 which is identical to what I got with the HG612 and HH5.

I contacted Billion but they couldn't offer any possible reason so for now it's been shelved.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »

I did indeed however about 3 weeks ago the Billion started loosing big chunks of 'Attainable Rate' and of course 'Actual Data Rate'. I went from 67/22 down to 50/22 in steps for no obvious reason

Haven't looked at your stats but possibly crosstalk would explain a lot of it.    There's a chance that if you put the HG612 back on that wouldn't get what you used to either.   

Ive been losing huge chunks to crosstalk over the past month or so.   I have an unproven suspicion that the recent BT re-routing and change of SVLANs in connection with the MSE bRAS has caused me more x-talk.  I certainly picked up one bad disturber during the time of these changes.   I also wonder about the huge amount of errors that I started seeing at the exact time that they were carrying out the changes although admittedly they did find and fix that but I had no explanation as to what it was.   Without doubt this past month has been the most Ive noticed any large changes (10Mb loss in total) since my early days fo fttc.

The Zyxel is currently giving me circa 82.5/30.5.  The HG612 would give me a sync of 79Mb.. and I estimate I'd likely only get something like 76Mb with the TPlink  :(
-----

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »

I don't think it's crosstalk, the Zyxel has always given roughly the same as the HH5 and HG612 so it's performing has it was when I first obtained it.

I might for testing put the HH5 back in place tonight and see what that gives now.

I'm guessing that changes are afoot at cabinet level that some devices are more sensitive to given the fact the Billion is using Broadcomm driver 39g and the Zyxel is on 39i if I'm not mistaken.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2014, 02:15:55 PM »

I did indeed however about 3 weeks ago the Billion started loosing big chunks of 'Attainable Rate' and of course 'Actual Data Rate'. I went from 67/22 down to 50/22 in steps for no obvious reason.

With the Zyxel back in place my attainable rate is almost 63/22 which is identical to what I got with the HG612 and HH5.

I contacted Billion but they couldn't offer any possible reason so for now it's been shelved.

oh yeah I think I remember the post now, ok thanks.

did you retry the billion on a new sync before ditching it?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »

Yes, the only suggestion Billion made was trying an earlier firmware build but that made no difference.
The only thing I've not tried is re-flashing to the latest build and doing a full factory reset, which I may do tomorrow.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2015, 06:00:17 PM »

any luck trying it again simon?

my neighbour has lost about 45mbit of sync speed holy cow, the same neighbour I said had a wicked attainable some months back..

Flashing AAKL.6b1 on my zyxel now (the newest kitz said is stable) and lending him in it to see what he gets.  On a hg612 he is getting now 51/18 (yep cannot get full upstream, I am next door getting over 30 attainable) on fast path.  I am trying to persuade him to use mydslwebstats.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2015, 07:40:05 PM »

I tried a factory reset on the latest firmware but it made no difference. Still hovered around 50/22, the ZyXEL however still shows approx. 62/22 which I can only attribute to the Broadcomm driver 39i.

The BT HH5 shows 55/22 and the HG612 shows 52/22, so I'm sticking with the ZyXEL on firmware 6b1.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2015, 07:54:54 PM »

Wow that is crazy, noone else has reported such large differences. I also think you the first guy to have the billion sync lower than the hg612.

You done any graphs to compare the 2 in bitloading/snrm?

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2015, 08:08:06 PM »

No I didn't really have time but from my own observations snrm was only minutely different.

From memory the HG612 was approx. 6.2db, the Billion around 6.4db and the ZyXEL hovers around 6.4 to 6.6db. Only the HH5 reported spot on 6db.

All this happened just after the farce with BT's DLM court case, and I have suspicions something was changed at cabinet level.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:12:01 PM by simoncraddock »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »

ok to be clear we are talking attainable difference or actual speed differences?

By snrm graphs I meant snr sorry, the snr per tone graphs that can be made.

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2015, 09:07:01 PM »

Attainable Rates but they are both linked, if the Attainable Rate drops so does Actual if they are close enough.

I'm going to give it until the end of January then if there's no positive change raise a fault. They supposedly fixed something on my line late November and for 2/3 weeks I was getting 66/22 Attainable Rate 62/19 Actual. Around the time DLM was supposedly turned off in December my connection speed started decreasing.

I'm going to pop the Billion back on-line for an hour and see how it compares to the ZyXEL on MYDSLSTATS afterwards.

Edit: The Billion seems to be doing slightly better tonight, approx. AR 60/22 although its down from 66/22 in December. I'll leave it connected for a day or so and see if it deteriorates again.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:46:33 PM by simoncraddock »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »

please get full monty stats as BE calls it :)
Then when you go back to zyxel do same again, thanks.

I do prefer you post actual sync speeds as some of these devices I feel massively over estimate attainable.

e.g. my billion estimates 72.9 on a 5.8db snrm, 73.4 on a 6.3db snrm  so that 0.5db is 0.5mbit.  Yet when the snrm goes to 6.4db the attainable jumps up to over 74.  Then jumps again to over 75 with a 6.5db snrm.  No doubt crosstalk continues to grow here tho, I am now staying synced with an snrm below 6db, so its steadily going down.

On my 30 day graph I see just before the 22nd the reported attainable briefly jumped to over 85, a big disturber I guess was briefly offline.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:16:29 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 66