Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers  (Read 318509 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2022, 01:32:49 AM »

Is there any chance of an update to the original list that was published 6 years or so ago? It seems so hard to search the web for current modem-routers without being swamped by routers with no modem!

Combination of a few factors.

When the list was originally published the amount of available modems were relatively few and far between.  It was easier to keep an eye on the main manufacturers and wait for them to release their first vdsl modem.

Since then most units are those provided by the ISPs, manufacturers such as Zyxel release new modems but not all are available for purchase by the general public.

Some of the best units modem wise are still some of those released many years ago.  Any improvements seem to be based on the wireless performance, yet the dsl chip is no better (or even worse) than say those 10years ago.   The list could be extensive but how many people would really pay attention.   Joe public just seems to purchase whatever is in PCWorld,  the geeks seem to be holding on to using a separate modem.     It could end up being an intensive trawl of the Internet to compile something now yet have a small audience.  I used to purchase most of the early ones and test them.   It's not something I could afford to do now.   Different people have different requirements- some may not care about the dsl chip and just want the best wifi.

I sympathise.  I really could do with purchasing a new combined unit myself...   but in all honesty nothing appeals.  The BCM chipset without doubt works best on my line - in particular the BCM 63x68 chipsets with the filter...  yet the modems with these dont always seem to have the best wifi.   I dislike the fact Im using a router with my VMG8324, but what does one do?...  especially when more and more are moving to FTTP.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2022, 08:07:14 AM »

I sympathise.  I really could do with purchasing a new combined unit myself...   but in all honesty nothing appeals.  The BCM chipset without doubt works best on my line - in particular the BCM 63x68 chipsets with the filter...  yet the modems with these dont always seem to have the best wifi.   I dislike the fact Im using a router with my VMG8324, but what does one do?...  especially when more and more are moving to FTTP.

I'm pretty much in the exact same situation except my VMG8924 is on both modem and router duty but no longer provides my WiFi. My main concern is that the firmware hasn't been updated since 2018 which is not really ideal from a security perspective. I suppose I could go to using it in modem only mode and employ a separate router, but I don't really have the appetite for that right now.
With the move to FTTP (not in the foreseeable where I live unfortunately) there will be less and less demand for VDSL modem/routers and I suspect ISP supplied products will be the only option for new devices before too long.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2022, 08:03:12 PM »

both modem and router duty

My VMG8324 would still be in use for all 3 if it werent for the fact there appears to be a limit of max IPs that it will dish out.  It's ridiculously low if you have a smart home.  I actually found the wifi range very good - in fact one of the few that covers a black spot.

I do also have a  VMG8924.  I dont know if that has the same issue with them sharing the same f/w.  That said I dont know if the restriction is just for wireless.   I dont facncy spending at least an hour changing everything to check.... and if then fail.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2022, 09:31:27 AM »

As you say, the wifi range is fine but, mainly due to where it sits in my house, I still had a black-spot that needed sorting. A pair of BT Mini Whole Home discs came up on Freecycle so these now provide my wifi, and I must say are doing a decent job.
I've not hit an issue with IP addresses but I think there's rarely more than about a dozen devices connected, and they are now all connecting via the Ethernet port that the master Mini Disc connects to.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 11:08:03 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2022, 03:05:09 PM »

>> I think there's rarely more than about a dozen <<

I think it was 15 when I started running into problems.  The technical data I found said 30, but it was about half that.  IPs were not being reallocated even if one dropped out of use.
-----

heavyrain

« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2023, 09:38:23 PM »

I know nobody asked recently but if you don't need G. Fast then I think the Asus DSL-AX82U is endgame.

It was mentioned on release here (2021) but 2 problems were discussed. What DSL chipset it had and shaky firmware updates from previous Asus DSL routers.

More than 2 years later these can be looked at. It has Broadcom (BCM63178) and Asus actually cares about firmware. Quote from someone in the know: "this time unlike with DSL-AC88U, the  ASUS (DSL Team) have proprietary access over coding etc. lessons learnt from the DSL-AC88U I feel by ASUS".

It's still getting updates: https://www.asus.com/uk/networking-iot-servers/modem-routers/all-series/dsl-ax82u/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=DSL-AX82U

The router also has merlin support so you can run Cake etc (via gnuton fork). Router has the best range I ever tried. Slightly better than the venerable RT-AX86U Pro.

Currently on sale for £179.99 (or £169.99 if Currys gets stock in).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 09:43:30 PM by heavyrain »

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2023, 11:45:18 PM »

The phrase 'I feel' suggests to me a degree of uncertainty and something based on non-factual information.

(I feel) when a company loses customers' faith in the quality of their products, that's it.

The firmware update you're referring to is mainly fixes. No new features, so that's already a disappointment.

(I feel) Asus is for a typical Currys customer, who goes there to get a router because they have no idea what they're getting.

Good old Fritzbox 7530, released back in 2018, is still getting firmware updates plus new features.

So, I'm afraid nothing to rave about here.

heavyrain

« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2023, 10:29:40 AM »

If you click "SHOW MORE DESCRIPTION" you can see that adding new features is happening. 2nd last firmware had a good feature drop (albeit start of 2023):

"ASUS DSL-AX82U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_22048"

New Features:
- Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
- Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TV, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
- Supported new devices connection notification.
- Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
- Supported Instant Guard 2.0 which helps easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection.
- Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting.
- Supported Auto USB Backup WAN.

Latest added surfshark (last month):

Feature:
Add Surfshark in VPN Fusion allows you to surf the internet anonymously and securely from anywhere by encrypting connections. Please refer to https://asus.click/SurfsharkVPN.

About the other comments:

If you type in any company into Google you'll find problems that would make you not deal with that company ever again. If I take PC hardware as an example and I want a motherboard for the latest 14th gen Intel, I literally couldn't ever build another PC. Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock, NZXT I could tell you horror stories from any of them. What am I supposed to do? Never build a PC again?

I do somewhat agree about Currys but then again if you go into Currys looking for the best TV (not even knowing what OLED is) sure you might pay over the odds but you will be coming out with the best you could get. Money has a way of bypassing knowledge for the most part.

I also take it from your username we could meet up. I'm from around Musselburgh area, you could take your 7530 and set it up here (have a 3 story house and large garden). Would be interesting to see the wi-fi difference. I only ever did testing with Eero 5/6, Archer, Deco, Velop and 2 Asus. Seeing a Fritzbox might be interesting. Shoot me a PM and we can get it organised.

I was mainly making the post because I understand in a forum there are people of different skill and knowledge levels that want opinions of others somewhat in the know. I mentioned it above but the relatively easy implementation of cake when talking about the connections people have looking at this thread is such a great thing. Features and stuff are nice but if your ping is sky rocketing into the 100s cause something else is saturating your 5Mbps bandwidth it doesn't mean much.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 10:34:58 AM by heavyrain »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2023, 04:59:55 PM »

Very small world. I'm in Dalkeith, less than a mile from Edinburgh_Lad.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2023, 08:18:00 PM »

I do somewhat agree about Currys but then again if you go into Currys looking for the best TV (not even knowing what OLED is) sure you might pay over the odds but you will be coming out with the best you could get. Money has a way of bypassing knowledge for the most part.

At least Currys HAVE the proper models, poor sods who can only get credit from Very, they sell "special" cut-down versions of all the TVs for the same price as the proper models.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2023, 09:47:34 AM »

Is there a proper place to buy quality stuff? Broadbandbuyer?

And what's quality stuff these days? I thought Draytek was quality stuff, but I'm seriously disappointed in quality and support.

Is Asus catching up?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2023, 06:15:28 PM »

I go wherever I need to, Broadbandbuyer, Scan, Ebuyer, Amazon, AWD-IT, Novatech, etc.  I tend to prefer Scan where possible though they can be pricier.

I'm not sure which of those sell routers though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 06:23:21 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]