Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: New Cabinet  (Read 13814 times)

Dwight

• Reg Member
New Cabinet
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »

Well we finally have a new cabinet down the road. With the road crew finished, it looks quiet nice with it's new tarmac around! :)
So all we have to what for now is a cable and internals to be installed and then a piece of paper being signed off! ;D
So I wonder how long each of those process is going to take? Crym Superfast said Wrexham infill was going to be September. So that seems a pretty long wait for the last two bits!  :(
Oh well at least the box is here!!
If anyone in Wrexham has an idea on time scales! It would be nice to know. :)

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: New Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »

Well my area was supposed to be activated in March this year. The cabinet appeared some time in August 2013 I think, and by the second week of November we had it installed at home (within 2 weeks of it becoming available).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »

So all we have to what for now is a cable and internals to be installed and then a piece of paper being signed off! ;D

All cabinets are installed fully equipped. Once the cabinet has been 'stood', the other tasks (in no particular order) are to connect it to the fibre feed, install the tie cables to the adjacent PCP and connect the power supply. When all those tasks have been 'ticked off', the cabinet is then powered up, tested and commissioned. It is then ready for service.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »

Around here, once the fibre had been laid it all happened pretty quick..   but on the other side of the main road, its a totally different matter, and they still havent got FTTC.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »

Around here, once the fibre had been laid it all happened pretty quick..   but on the other side of the main road, its a totally different matter, and they still havent got FTTC.

Yep, most of this village hasn't got it and isn't going to get it if rumours are to be believed.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 11:13:40 PM »

Well my area was supposed to be activated in March this year. The cabinet appeared some time in August 2013 I think, and by the second week of November we had it installed at home (within 2 weeks of it becoming available).

Yep! Thought it would be too much to ask to see in a few weeks! :(

All cabinets are installed fully equipped. Once the cabinet has been 'stood', the other tasks (in no particular order) are to connect it to the fibre feed, install the tie cables to the adjacent PCP and connect the power supply. When all those tasks have been 'ticked off', the cabinet is then powered up, tested and commissioned. It is then ready for service.  :)
Sounds so simple! Thought it might be like a McD all ready to go! But have yet to see a cable team in the area, so it is probably just sitting on the pipes for the cables! :(

Well we finally have a new cabinet down the road. With the road crew finished, it looks quiet nice with it's new tarmac around! :)
So I wonder how long each of those process is going to take? Crym Superfast said Wrexham infill was going to be September. So that seems a pretty long wait for the last two bits!  :(
Oh well at least the box is here!!
If anyone in Wrexham has an idea on time scales! It would be nice to know. :)

It does seem to be so hit and miss this 60% or what ever coverage they where going for!

So fingers crossed it may be for Christmas...(What year! Only Opeanreach knows!)

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:20:33 PM »

Up here in the grim North(ish) it took over 18 months from the cab going in to the service going live....  :'(
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »

Crikey Dwight, your glass appears to be incredibly half-empty ??

I can assure you, you will NOT get an answer on any forum as to when you Cab will 'Go live'. For various reasons (Sitting on our arse not being one of them), Cabs get commissioned at different stages. Just because the newly installed Cabinet is sat there looking all pretty does not follow that the actual Fibre spine has been 'blown in', or the other great stumbling block .... the power utility hasn't provided the necessary 240v feed. The local 'Expression of interest' for FTTC may also be poor ??.

I don't work in this particular area, but I'm betting if I asked, there'd be a million and one other genuine reasons as to why some Cabs are made 'Live' within weeks and others take months ?? It would be a good bet, as I read on a regular basis the naivety of individuals perception of the Copper/Ali Network.

Now go and get your glass, run a tap, and get that level over half-way .......... it will happen when it happens. There are folk on here who would love to be at the stage you are at.  ;D ;D

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »

That is a true reflection there to be honest.

I did manage to find out the reason for the lengthy delay at my location, that being down to a section 58 restriction being in place for the road that the cabinet was located on, this preventing the necessary ducting from being laid. A section 58 restriction is a ban on futher roadworks following resurfacing operations.

A fantastic resource for following this being http://www.roadworks.org
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »

Crikey Dwight, your glass appears to be incredibly half-empty ??

Now go and get your glass, run a tap, and get that level over half-way .......... it will happen when it happens. There are folk on here who would love to be at the stage you are at.  ;D ;D
Thanks for the support Blacksheep,it is more in the vain of birdwatching theses days my monitoring of how well it is going. With a small sprinkling of humour. As we were missed on the first install, this new Cab has added excitement to my internet life! :) But like you say it may be a few weeks/months/years before it is finished off and we see the sticker attached to the Cab finally saying, to Infinity and beyond!  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 12:27:44 PM »

;D ;D ........... now that's the positive Dwight I've been looking for.  ;) ;D

I hope it gets commissioned sooner rather than later, for you.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 08:18:34 PM »

Yippee! :) Ops sorry But the electricity is going in! Well there's a new whole revealing electricity cable on behalf of Scottish Power! So only Taken a month, so at this rate might have it by........September!

Puppy

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:50 PM »

Don't get you hopes up, mine have been dashed so many times it's not funny! :'(
Praying for FTTC

machine

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »

Another reason that I have seen a cabinet installed and stood for a few months then nothing was due to the power company rejecting access to the supply because of its location and the cabinet having to be moved 3 months later.

I found this out by searching my local council website for local planning applications.

Quote from the website,
"In accordance with the requirements of Article 8 of the Town & Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995 (as amended) details of planning applications received are set out below."

*ttp://idoxpublicaccess.northtyneside.gov.uk/online-applications/files/E21C0F0C62C44A0A2E86D8BFB0C4E816/pdf/14_00920_ECREG5-SITE_LOCATION_PLAN-375040.pdf

This took less than 5 minutes to find out, you can see any plans or objections for the fibre cabinets within the area.
I do not know if all councils have this facility online but I guess most will.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »

Another reason that I have seen a cabinet installed and stood for a few months then nothing was due to the power company rejecting access to the supply because of its location and the cabinet having to be moved 3 months later.

I found this out by searching my local council website for local planning applications.

Quote from the website,
"In accordance with the requirements of Article 8 of the Town & Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995 (as amended) details of planning applications received are set out below."

*ttp://idoxpublicaccess.northtyneside.gov.uk/online-applications/files/E21C0F0C62C44A0A2E86D8BFB0C4E816/pdf/14_00920_ECREG5-SITE_LOCATION_PLAN-375040.pdf

This took less than 5 minutes to find out, you can see any plans or objections for the fibre cabinets within the area.
I do not know if all councils have this facility online but I guess most will.

Thankfully Machine there was a street sign close and that has now been linked up. So once that hole is filled we will see how long it takes for the next stage! Back to BTOR and we know how reliable they are don't we! Poor Puppy!

Don't get you hopes up, mine have been dashed so many times it's not funny! :'(

Puppy had a read of your experience and it would suggest that they just don't care! >:( Once the box is dropped you would think that they would get it making money ASAP not two years later!
So fingers crossed for you! :( :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 04:15:55 PM by Dwight »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything