Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.DMT2 stuck profile ???  (Read 1367 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
G.DMT2 stuck profile ???
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »

Hello everyone,

Walter's wheelbarrow has been a-trundling again. This time it's long line where I've attended to some house wiring.
I have made a marginal improvement of an additional 27 bits being loaded.
We're waiting upon a BT Openreach visit on Wednesday to replace around 10 m of very old flat twin steel drop wire.
Given that the 2Wire 2700 HGV shows a download Max3 of 2377 Kbps but only an actual sync rate of 575 Kbps, I'm wondering if the relatively short length of untwisted steel  is the likely cause or, more probably, the profile has become stuck.
We waited three days before doing a power-reset but it has had no effect.

Any thoughts and advice would be very welcome.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: G.DMT2 stuck profile ???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »

If by g.DMT2 you mean adsl2...  then that would indicate that the line is on a 21CN exchange which is far less likely to get a stuck profile than a 20CN exchange.

Its normally the longer, good lines that get stuck profiles due to them being able to attain much higher syncs than the default 2Mbps profile.

If the line has been troublesome in the past Id say with a fixed sync of 575/576 down, then its possible that the line has actually been banded/capped.  The ISP isnt always aware if a line has been put on a "Max capped rate profile", but when they suspect there is a possibility of it being capped, then they should know where to look to get confirmation whether it is or isnt.

----
PS

A way to tell the difference.  A stuck bRAS will allow higher sync speeds, but throughput will not exceed the IPprofile.
If the line has been put on max capped rate, then it wont ever sync above the speed its been capped at.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:11:37 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »

Thanks very much Kitz,

It is the THCN Cranleigh exchange which is 21CN enabled. We think the line length may be around 6.6 km. It is a BT retail supplied service.

There is another similar BT service off the next DP about 200 m further on with a sync speed of 2.7 Mbps and which achieves a throughput of over 2 Mbps.
Whilst I know one service may be quite different from another, it does seem we should be able to improve the speed provided we can persuade Openreach / Retail / Wholesale to reset the band or cap. We'll start with the visiting Openreach engineer as we'll be talking face to face with him.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »

The ISP should be able to get it lifted.   Good luck :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker