Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Earth Contact  (Read 1805 times)

• Reg Member
Earth Contact
« on: May 10, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »

Whilst utilising the quiet line test on the phone, i can hear a very slight buzzing, and on the other phone this is louder, if i connect one of the wires to earth using a modified bt jack with two cables, the sound that i can hear (buzzing) just sounds amplified. I have also attached QLN graphs with each cable connected to earth to see the comparison, i was suprised as the black wire there were less spikes they were more rounded, and the white wire they were more spikey? One more prone to interference than the other? 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Earth Contact
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:47:02 PM »

You have got me thoroughly confused and I do not understand what you have done.  ???

I suspect that other Kitizens are similarly baffled.  :-\

To simplify the viewing of your graphs, I have extracted the contents and reattached the same as images, below.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »

Same here. Don't do graphs, but putting 'one leg to Earth' whilst listening to the PSTN service is ALWAYS going to increase the audible noise ........... it's a full on earth contact if you do this.

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »

I was trying to replicate the noise i could hear faintly, as i suspect a line fault somewhere, it sounds exactly as the neighbours line also but much louder. I did the graphs as it show the pickup of rfi is amplified. I have also had something very similar discussed in a previous post, which would only lasted for about an hour. An engineer said that their could be a hr fault, with the sync noise on the line, and also said the clicking could be low insulation/crosstalk, as did yourselves, but couldn't find any fault.