Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DSLstats / HG612 modem stats compatability - Including Zyxel VMG8324  (Read 5272 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

1)  A request please - no hurry on this - save until you release the next new version.

Can you add ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A to the supported routers in the drop down list on the Login page please :)

2)  DSLstats /HG612 modem stats compatability.

As you may be aware BE is kindly helping me to get HG612modem stats working on the ZyXel.
We are practically there -  but have just recently hit a snag that may or may not be related to the compatibility mode with DSLstats.

HG612 modem stats has been running perfectly for the past 24hrs..  and DSLstats appears to be too...   but we have seen some issues which may or may not be related to running in tandem with DSLstats.

I am running DSLstats in compatibility mode..   but have noticed that I appear to have zillions of these in DSLstats Event Log.   

Code: [Select]
02 May 2014 22:23:25 Unable to determine if HG612-Modem-Stats programs are running
02 May 2014 22:24:25 Unable to determine if HG612-Modem-Stats programs are running

Do you know if DSLstats would still be working in compatibility mode? ....  and if so...  is it possible to do anything to suppress those errors please?

---
ETA

Although I said zillions, it would appear that the Event log clears itself after so many entries.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

1) Yes, already done. It will be in the next release.

2) That error message in the log is most probably due to a coding mistake by me. DSLstats will still be running in compatibility mode in other respects, but the part which checks for the running programs is failing.

The event log is a FIFO list which is currently limited to 500 lines, so if this number is exceeded the earliest lines are deleted. It shouldn't really ever get near that number of course.

I'll check these things out tomorrow.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

Thankyou Eric.   :)

As mentioned, the zillions were an exaggeration, because I certainly wasn't going count them all,  ;D suffice to say there was a heck of a lot. I had guessed though that after so many entries they must be overwriting, as it's probably been churning them out for a while. 500 would seem about right seeing they cleared after about 12hrs.

It was only after BE suggested I looked in the error log to see if dslstats was missing any stats/had any logged problems that could be caused by running both that I noticed them all.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I only get these in DSLStats if the program that checks for HG612 Modem Stats programs is missing (IsRunningVB.exe)

To test, I renamed it to xxIsRunningVB.exe & started getting these:-

02 May 2014 23:27:35   Unable to determine if HG612-Modem-Stats programs are running
02 May 2014 23:28:35   Unable to determine if HG612-Modem-Stats programs are running
02 May 2014 23:29:35   Unable to determine if HG612-Modem-Stats programs are running
02 May 2014 23:30:35   Unable to determine if HG612-Modem-Stats programs are running
02 May 2014 23:31:35   Unable to determine if HG612-Modem-Stats programs are running

The messages stopped again after renaming it back to IsRunningVB.exe

Whenever I run DSLStats (in co-operation with HG612 Modem Stats mode), regardless of what time I initially click the record button, after syncronising, the sampling starts at 35 seconds pat the minute.

However, your error messages are timed at 25 seconds past the minute.
Does sampling always start at 25 seconds past the minute on your system?

I don't if that has any relevance or not

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:44:42 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

I only get these in DSLStats if the program that checks for HG612 Modem Stats programs is missing (IsRunningVB.exe)

Apologies - my mistake.  I must have forgotten to add it after one of the formats Ive done over the past few months  :-[

That seems to have fixed it.

Does sampling always start at 25 seconds past the minute on your system?

It appears to - every single item in the log is at :25 and Ive just watched it start sampling at 25 secs.

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

That explains it then. I was going to ask about IsRunningVB.exe, but BE got there first. :)

Actually I've developed an alternative means of detecting the programs, which doesn't rely on IsRunningVB.exe. Not that there's anything wrong with that program, but I'd prefer not to have external dependencies if possible. I need to do some more testing on it, but it's looking good so far.

PS I forgot to mention the 25/35 seconds disparity. It should start sampling at 35 seconds after the minute, so I'm not sure at present why it happens at 25 seconds in your case. I'll have a check to see if any typos have crept in.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:20:41 AM by roseway »
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

PS I forgot to mention the 25/35 seconds disparity. It should start sampling at 35 seconds after the minute, so I'm not sure at present why it happens at 25 seconds in your case. I'll have a check to see if any typos have crept in.

FWIW, using DSLStats32W-4.52.1 overnight, it still appears to be sampling at 35 seconds past the minute.

EDIT:

Also, if I force my programs to run just before DSLStats is due to sample, they are correctly detected & DSLStats takes action to avoid a clash as intended.
:-

03 May 2014 07:53:35   1 instance(s) of HG612_current_stats.exe running, sample missed
03 May 2014 07:55:35   1 instance(s) of HG612_stats.exe running, sample missed

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:00:41 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Thanks for confirming that, BE.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

Thanks guys

Mine still seems to be running at 25 seconds past.

Ive just manually forced HG612stats to run at 22 seconds past and all seems to be working correctly in dslstats and it identifies HG612stats.exe is running.

This is my log since I dropped in isRunningVB.exe

Code: [Select]
02 May 2014 23:48:25 Unable to determine if HG612-Modem-Stats programs are running
03 May 2014 00:56:37 Attenuation log saved as C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\dslstats\logs\2014-05-03\AttenuationLog-2014-05-03-00.56.37.txt
03 May 2014 00:56:37 Auto snapshots taken
03 May 2014 02:57:37 Attenuation log saved as C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\dslstats\logs\2014-05-03\AttenuationLog-2014-05-03-02.57.37.txt
03 May 2014 02:57:37 Auto snapshots taken
03 May 2014 04:58:37 Attenuation log saved as C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\dslstats\logs\2014-05-03\AttenuationLog-2014-05-03-04.58.37.txt
03 May 2014 04:58:37 Auto snapshots taken
03 May 2014 06:58:37 Attenuation log saved as C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\dslstats\logs\2014-05-03\AttenuationLog-2014-05-03-06.58.37.txt
03 May 2014 06:58:37 Auto snapshots taken
03 May 2014 08:58:37 Attenuation log saved as C:\Users\kitz\Desktop\Connection\dslstats\logs\2014-05-03\AttenuationLog-2014-05-03-08.58.37.txt
03 May 2014 08:58:38 Auto snapshots taken
03 May 2014 10:42:25 1 instance(s) of HG612_stats.exe running, sample missed

@BE.  Thankyou - got your mail and will try the new version in a mo. 
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

DSLstats doesn't continually check the sample time against the real time. It only does that check when you start recording. After that, it maintains accuracy by checking that the time between samples is accurate, so the timer doesn't drift. I'm fairly sure that if you restart DSLstats it will sample at 35-40 seconds after the minute. I'll take a look to make sure that it all works as it should, as it looks as though something has caused a shift in the sample time.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: DSLstats / HG612 modem stats compatability - Including Zyxel VMG8324
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »

Im not sure if it makes any difference, but Ive not touched DSLstats since the update here, when I dropped the new exe in.

You can see from the screen cap that its been running continual since that time without any break, although Ive no idea when it started checking it 25 secs past, or even if it always has done.

Ive tried looking back in my files since I first put the Zyxel on and I notice the first logs are time stamped 2014-03-31-17.24.38-AttenuationLog.txt  same with 2014-03031-17.24.38-CRC.png etc.

Bearing in mind that DSLstats is currently sampling at 25 secs past and current logs are time stamped at 37 or 38 seconds past the minute, I think its possible that its continually sampled at 25 secs past since Ive been using the ZyXel.

I'm fairly sure that if you restart DSLstats it will sample at 35-40 seconds after the minute.

hmmmm  and therein I think we may have the answer why its sampling at 25 secs.   Ive practically continually run DSLstats since putting the Zyxel on.  We can see from the recording uptime that Ive not changed anything since the 19th of April, which iirc may have been when I last had to re-do my prefs and that was possibly when I reticked compatability mode.  (sorry cant recall but I know that after one of the updates I had to reconfigure my options again *.)  The fact that I may have reconfigured the options on the 19th of April after installation of v3.52.1 and not restarted it since could be why its still sampling at 25 secs?

----
ETA

*It may have been here (Apr 8th) when I had to reconfigure my settings.. sorry I really cant recall now when I last did.   Which ever way its more than a few weeks ago..  and Ive slept since then :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:20:04 PM by kitz »
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »

I think I may possibly have found the reason for this situation. Is it possible that, when you first started the current version running, the "co-operation" option wasn't set, and you set it after you started recording? If so, the sample times would all be referenced to whatever the time was when you first started recording. I've missed a trick here, and I must change it a bit so that it always synchronises to 35 seconds after the minute when the option is set.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »

Yes I'm pretty certain that's what it will be.  Thank you for your help Eric :)

I may have reconfigured the options on the 19th of April after installation of v3.52.1 and not restarted it since

I usually check if its working first (running ok) then have a quick scan through the settings and change anything to my prefs.   
In fact Id go so far as to say 99% of times I will run any prog first, then configure my options.  My thoughts are:  No point spending a while going through settings and prefs only to find the prog doesnt work or youre not going to use it etc.

I certainly do recall doing this a couple of times since I got the Zyxel,  so I guess that must have been what I did on the 19th - in fact its  likely to be a sure fire bet that I did based on whats happening now with the timing :) 

---
Poor bald eagle...  this must literally be the case him tearing out feathers   :D
In between the fast PC issues, a modem he doesnt have and me also running DSLstats he's had his work cut out on this one.
So far so good version f is running beautifully...  no errors or conflicts nor missing stats. Everything ok in ONGOING_ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR :thumbs:

I happened to see this out of my window - anyone recognise it?
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 06:36:09 PM »

I hope BE isn't really tearing out his feathers, it's still a bit cold at night. ;D

I've dealt with this issue now. Whatever you do, the sample timing should always sync to 35-40 seconds after the minute when the "co-operation" option is set.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 06:47:56 PM »

Thank you eric :)

Hopefully the kitteh hasnt caused any plucking of penguin feathers either  ;)
-----
Pages: [1] 2