Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: FTTC/P Exchange & Cabinet Map for Cumbria  (Read 38637 times)

indigobanana

Re: FTTC/P Exchange & Cabinet Map for Cumbria
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »

Ah I see. Did a bit of research and it looks like BT might be using the larger concrete chambers for fibre aggregation. Possibly FTTP or to feed an FTTC Cab. It is interesting that often I have noticed these works in areas which are EO or due for an FTTP rollout. (One extremely rural area in Wales had an entire road with large concrete chambers being built everywhere - turns out that postcode area is down for FTTP). Newbiggin on Lune is an EO area so it wouldn't be too surprising if they got FTTP.

Jamie :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 06:15:40 PM »

Without digging too deep (as time won't allow right now), there are all kinds of underground closures from JUF (Jointbox Underground Footway), to JRC, (Jointbox Reinforced Carriageway), to MH (Manholes).

The depths are various and will differ dependant on requirements and accessibility. We bog-standard engineers can only work in them if the depth is 3 feet or less (This is from memory so may be slightly more or less ?), any deeper and 'Blowers' are required to pump in fresh air. Of course, common-sense used in conjunction with our gas detectors probably also plays a part.

If for example a UG box lets say 5 feet deep, is being worked in as part of a cable-changeover, then initially 'Blowers' could be despatched but if left venting overnight and our testers show no dangers present, then I would imagine the SSR engineers wouldn't deploy the blowers again ?? This is not my forte though, as I don't get involved in SSR work.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 06:18:22 PM »

indigo …….. ALL UG chambers will be considered by the planner and used, if 'the cap fits'. It all depends on what is being fit and where ??  :)

indigobanana

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »

Brand new update coming in the next few days.

Big news for those especially on Exchange Only lines (even some far from the exchange). There's new cabinets going in everywhere - the map will be updated to show this and the brand new cab numbers. Watch this space!  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

indigobanana

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 05:47:03 PM »

Was going to update but found out some stuff isn't making sense, like cabinets that are FTTC Enabled showing as FTTP Enabled, and others that say FTTP Planned already have an FTTC Cabinet in place. What a shambles!!

indigobanana

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 01:24:50 AM »

Looks like bad news for several cabs that were set back yet still to be enabled under the Commercial Rollout. Several cabs have dropped off the list and now show as having no plans to upgrade to fibre. 7 cabinets in Carlisle alone are affected. (2, 5, 62, 86, 112, 116, 132)

indigobanana

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »

Map updated today (20/3)

Plenty of new enabled cabinets and exchanges. Apart from that:

• At least 99 new cabs have been installed around the county, mostly to deal with EO lines. 11 of these are now live with FTTC.
  • A handful of cabinets are now down for FTTP instead of FTTC. Of course this could change and may not be totally accurate
  • Several commercial cabinets that kept missing their RFS date are now showing as having no plans to upgrade to FTTC
  • Workington Cab 49 has gone live with FTTP. As far as I can tell this is the first and only live FTTP under the programme in the county. (however there is lots of activity going on looking at the roadworks map).

http://www.click2map.com/v2/indigobanana/FTTC_Cumbria
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:13:25 PM by indigobanana »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 01:02:07 AM »

Hi Jamie,

Can I ask what format you have your data in for export into click2map?

I'm wondering about doing something similar...

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »

Looks like you can use
•   CSV, separated by: CSV is the acronym for Comma Separated Values which is a standard text file format used to exchange data between different applications. Select this option if your markers are stored in a CSV text file.
•   Comma: Select this option if your markers are stored in a comma separated CSV text file.
•   Semicolon: Select this option if your markers are stored in a semicolon separated CSV text file.
•   Tabulation: Select this option if your markers are stored in a tab separated CSV text file.
•   KML: KML is the acronym for Keyhole Markup Language - it is an XML file format common to Google Earth and Google Maps that can be used to import/export marker information between these two applications, among others. Select this option if your markers are stored in a KML file. This is typically the case if they've been exported or extracted from Google Earth.
•   GeoRSS: GeoRSS stands for Geographically Encoded Objects for RSS feeds and is used to encode locations as parts of RSS feeds. Select this option if your markers are stored on a website in an XML file following a GeoRSS standard.
•   XML: Select this option if your markers are stored in an XML file.

indigobanana

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »

All the data is on an Excel spreadsheet which is then exported as CSV, and imported using the Click2Map tools. Just having a postcode (or even sometimes just a street address & town) is enough for the in-built geocoder to work out where the marker should be placed, however it can be a little inaccurate.  :)

Snick

• Just arrived
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »

Hi Everbody,
I'm on the Egremont Exchange cabinet 14 which has been Black since the Rollout began. I'm on expensive Satellite and hate it  >:( ,
Does anybody know the reason for the cabinet being 'Blacked out' on the map.
I tried BT broadband and got .25mb max speed (If Lucky) and lots of faults drop outs with lots of Engineer call outs.
However the phone works fine.  :(
If I could get standard broadband (5-10mbps) I'd be very happy with that! I reckon I've got the slowest Line connection in the UK!

Thanks in advance!
P.s I've been down the connecting Cumbria route with helpful response but no information.

indigobanana

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »

Hi Snick,

Sorry to hear that. Its true that unfortunately this cabinet is not on the rollout plans. By the looks of it, the cabinet does not serve many properties and the properties that area served by this cab are all spread out over a large rural area. Looks as FTTC wouldn't be too economical here.

The good news is that Phase 2 of the Connecting Cumbria project is due to begin fairly soon, and with a bit of luck they'll do something for properties in this area. Who knows, in the future this area could get FTTP. But that's just a pure guess I'm afraid. I can let you know if the plans for your cab change.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »

Quote from: indigobanana
. . . be too economical here . . .

I suspect that the "un" got away before the sentence was completed!  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

indigobanana

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 08:35:14 PM »

Map Updated - 02/06/15

http://www.click2map.com/v2/indigobanana/FTTC_Cumbria

As I feared there was a mistake in the last update, where many cabs that were actually due to get FTTC were wrongly labelled as "FTTP Planned". The latest update has fixed this and cabinets should be showing the correct information now.

Other updates include:
- Plenty cabinets now enabled & many EO lines rearranged to new cabinets
- More new cabinets appearing, probably for EO lines.
- Some exchanges have lost their FTTP for EO line info. Looks like these will get FTTC solution instead.
- Dent exchange is no longer planned to be upgraded. I believe this is because of competition in the area.

Still no information about Phase 2, I imagine this will come by the end of the year. I'm hoping there will be higher amounts of FTTP in Phase 2.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:37:43 PM by indigobanana »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4