Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: FTTC/P Exchange & Cabinet Map for Cumbria  (Read 38635 times)

indigobanana

FTTC/P Exchange & Cabinet Map for Cumbria
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »

Announcing...

The Cumbria Fibre Map!

Includes:
  • Exchanges, Fibre Upgrade Status, Estimated Go Live Dates
  • Cabinets! All cabs that have gone live are on the map. Commercial cabs still waiting to be upgraded are on too. Some cabs may be missing from smaller exchanges as I don't have the data.
  • Cabinet planned/delay and (for commercial cabs) phase info. Simply click on a cabinet for more information.
  • Search features - to search for a specific exchange cab, use the "Search" tab next to All Markers, type in the name of the exchange, and a list of all the cabinets included on the map on that exchange will appear.
  • Up to date information - Using different data sources this information should be as up to date as possible but there was a lot of manual checking involved and I may have missed something, if this is the case just let me know and I can update as appropriate.

This map is by no means perfect and location of most cabs are simply guessed and can be up to a few miles in the wrong location, as they are based on a postcode that they serve which may or may not be near the actual location and as Cumbria is a so rural the postcode may cover a huge area. Also there may be some data errors as there was a lot of different information to go through and it's possible that I may have got some cabinet numbers mixed up that were enabled under the Connecting Cumbria programme (They don't include the cab numbers in their live cab list! :no:) I'm slowly working on confirming the location of certain cabinets and will shortly be adding a feature to the map where it will say if a cab's location has been confirmed, if anyone helps with this, they're more than welcome and will be fully credited!

If everything goes well and this map is well received, I will keep the information updated and will let you know the changes on each update. I haven't decided when I'll do the updates but I think at least once a week would be good.

Well, enjoy!  ;D
Jamie :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: FTTC/P Exchange & Cabinet Map for Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »

Well done in the compilation of all this data.  Im sure it will be a useful resource for those in Cumbria :)
Ive stickied it so it can easily be found.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

indigobanana

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »

Thanks Kitz, I really appreciate that!  :D

indigobanana

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:58 PM »

Map has been updated today 2/5/14. Quite a few changes and 2 cabs enabled so decided to update the map already.

• Cabs now live:
    • Carlisle Cab 100
    • Workington Cab 28
  • Whitehaven Cab 19 lost Estimated Date (was Apr 14).
  • Cabinets in Sedbergh, Alston, Flookburgh, Millom, Allonby and Windermere moved to more logical estimated location (i.e. not in the sea or on a mountain)
  • Cabinet confirmed location info added to markers on map
  • Locations confirmed:
    • Walney #1
    • Walney #6
    • Kirkby Stephen #1
    • Kirkby Stephen #2
    • Kirkby Stephen #3
    • Kirkby Stephen #4
    • Kirkby Stephen #5
    • Langwathby #2
    • Orton #1
    • Orton #2
    • Ravensworth #1
    • Ravensworth #2
    • Brough #1
    • Bassenthwaite Lake #1

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 07:38:08 AM »

If you want the exact locations of certain Cabs, drop us a PM and I'll clarify for you.  :)

indigobanana

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »

Fantastic, thanks Black Sheep. As it would be too much to ask for every cab that's in the wrong place, I might wait until a decent amount have been located and then go from there. I should also be getting some more data within the next few weeks regarding the missing cabs on certain exchanges.

Actually I was wondering if you could clear up a couple of things I'm confused about. The other week I was searching for Appleby Cab "S1" which I believe must be in the Great Asby area, but the only cabs I could find were these gray ones. Could it be TPON?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.513682,-2.493958,3a,29.9y,204h,79.56t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shqddsKfv2gdwxGrpSPqbrw!2e0

And the second thing, is Windermere Cab 5 scheduled to go live? 2 cabinets were announced as live on the 30th by Connecting Cumbria, but of course they didn't include the cab numbers, just the location. Cab 1 was the first and I presumed the other was Cab 5 but still not showing as live on the BTW checker - I'm starting to wonder if I got the wrong one?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »

Fantastic, thanks Black Sheep. As it would be too much to ask for every cab that's in the wrong place, I might wait until a decent amount have been located and then go from there. I should also be getting some more data within the next few weeks regarding the missing cabs on certain exchanges.

Actually I was wondering if you could clear up a couple of things I'm confused about. The other week I was searching for Appleby Cab "S1" which I believe must be in the Great Asby area, but the only cabs I could find were these gray ones. Could it be TPON?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.513682,-2.493958,3a,29.9y,204h,79.56t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shqddsKfv2gdwxGrpSPqbrw!2e0

And the second thing, is Windermere Cab 5 scheduled to go live? 2 cabinets were announced as live on the 30th by Connecting Cumbria, but of course they didn't include the cab numbers, just the location. Cab 1 was the first and I presumed the other was Cab 5 but still not showing as live on the BTW checker - I'm starting to wonder if I got the wrong one?

Can't assist with the 'Go live' dates, as they've stopped filtering through to us for some strange reason. But, I can clarify Cab whereabouts.

Windermere

Cab 1: Belsfield Hotel
Cab 5: Craig Walk - Junction Meadow Road

As regards Appleby, this is down as a DEL (Direct Exchange Line) Exchange, ergo no Cabinets. That said, Around my patch they are installing brand new Cabs on DEL's in order that the EU can make use of the FTTC product. If that is the case with your 'S1 Cab', then I doubt it'll be on our network records as yet ?? I'll go digging around when I've more time.

indigobanana

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »

Thanks for that. Sorry to clarify, cab name is Appleby PS1. I presume it's not an outdated games console  ;)
According to the info I have there are 11 cabs on the LCAPP exchange...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »

Hmmm ?? Completely conflicting reports then ??

I have never heard of any Cab labelled with the prefix 'PS'. It is either 'PCPx' or 'SCPx' (Which is a secondary/tertiary pillar off the PCP). TPON Cabs ….. are called just that.

I'm looking at the Network Records which have been around since the birth of Christ. I'll look at our more modern on-line recs later on to see what they say.

indigobanana

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »

Sent you a PM. I think it's probably from an online record.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »

Well then …… I've had to don my Columbo mac on this one. It's certainly out of the ordinary to what I see everyday, by way of network records. :o

On our bog-standard 'Network Records', it doesn't show Appleby has having any PCP's at all. However, with our on-line system (GEO-Hub), it does indeed show the Cabs you listed in your PM.

What it doesn't show though is the 'PS1' Cab that you are puzzled about, (me too now) ?? I've interrogated a number off the postcode for that PS1 Cab that you gave me, and the routing and records show the circuit to be going through PCP1 then SCP 1/5. I've personally never known there to be 5 secondary Cabs off the main one as suggested within that routing ?. The maximum I've witnessed is two.

The DP (Telegraph pole) for the circuit has a 'T' next to it and won't allow the usual further scrutinisation that would follow. It basically isn't recognised by our copper-based systems. So, all-in-all my guess, and that's all it is, is that there must be TPON.

Not much help I'm afraid.

indigobanana

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »

Thanks for looking into that. Maybe it's the remnants of an old system. All I know is that they're pretty far from the exchange there and suffer from very bad internet speeds, I think there was a community project to deal with that, no idea what happened with it though. I think they're just waiting and hoping now for FTTC or some other fibre solution.

I have some good news. The Cumbria Roadworks Map is very limited in information and usefulness and up until now I have not been able to use it at all as a source of information, as it would only list the name of the contractor that is either closing the road or using traffic lights, and therefore it has been impossible to know who is doing what, and which companies are working with the fibre rollout. Thankfully, after some digging and a friendly reply on facebook I have found that "RNS Utilities" are the company with the task of standing the new shiny cabs, and with the info on the Cumbria roadworks map I can now say where the new FTTC cabs will be placed. At last, almost real time tracking of the progress of the rollout. Will be included on the next map update this week.

As a heads up, new cabs are being placed in the following new exchange areas:

• Burgh-By-Sands
  • Wetheral (I have heard quite a few cabs have already been stood)
  • Cleator Moor
  • Brampton

and continuing work in:

• Carlisle
  • Cockermouth
  • Rockcliffe

Banjo

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »

The location for the cabinet I'm connected to, Cleator Moor Cab #14, is currently in the middle of hilly fields.  The correct location is on Meadowcroft Road, outside the 2nd house east of Lingla Bank (Latitude  54.536041°, and Longtitude  -3.500859°).
Has anyone any idea when it is due to be upgraded? (No fibre cabinet in place yet).

Cabinet #3 is on the B5395 opposite the end of Bowthorn Rd.

Cabinet #6 is on the corner of St. Paul's Ave and the A5086 Frizington Rd.

EvertonMonkey

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 03:27:07 PM »

Only just found this website by chance, but the map looks really good.

I'm on Cab 9 in Workington which is still yet to be enabled, even though the have dug the road up twice for power, so whether or not its powered/fibred is anyones guess.  I've contacted openreach and they are going to speak to the local Project manager for my area and try and get some more details on when its due and what the hold up is.

The location of cab 9 is slightly off on the map but I can supply the correct location if you would like.  Is the data slightly outdated now ? as the cab 9 still suggests end of june but its been moved back to end of sept.

EvertonMonkey

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »

Only just found this website by chance, but the map looks really good.

I'm on Cab 9 in Workington which is still yet to be enabled, even though the have dug the road up twice for power, so whether or not its powered/fibred is anyones guess.  I've contacted openreach and they are going to speak to the local Project manager for my area and try and get some more details on when its due and what the hold up is.

The location of cab 9 is slightly off on the map but I can supply the correct location if you would like.  Is the data slightly outdated now ? as the cab 9 still suggests end of june but its been moved back to end of sept.

Cab 9 location is : 54.641930, -3.553464 on google maps.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4